PDA

View Full Version : Leia's Story

dandysmom
10-02-2009, 09:23 PM
http://www.catsey.com/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN0557.jpg%5B/IMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN0557.jpg

This is the tin where mom keeps my dry food. I like dry food better than wet but mom says it's not good to eat too much because of my cystitis. But I get hungry in the middle of the night sometimes, so I figured if I knocked it off the kitchen counter, the lid would come off. So I did, and it did.

Mom was annoyed.

So when she thought I wasn't looking, she put it on top of the fridge. She forgot what a good jumper I am, and it fell further so the food went all over the kitchen floor and I had a good snack.

Mom was very annoyed.

Last night before we went to bed she put it on the floor and said "If it doesn't fall, you cannot get the lid off because you don't have opposable thumbs! You are as bad as Darcy!"

So this morning when she saw the lid was off and I'd had a good snack, she was REALLY annoyed!!

I am not going to tell her how I got the lid off!

What is an opposable thumb?
Who is Darcy?

I wonder where she's going to put it tonight?

Elaine
10-02-2009, 09:25 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
She's a smart cookie that Leia. I do love her.

angieh
10-02-2009, 09:26 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh my goodness - how DID she get the lid off? Surely she hasn't been in contact with that Darcy? Is it a catspiracy?

Phoenix
10-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Awww Leia!!! :smt007 :smt049 :smt049 :smt049 Dylan here!

It would be a good idea if you stayed away from that tin! You don't want to make yourself ill!

Mum's having to keep the treat tin away from me because I keep trying to knock the treat tin over to get the treats! I've not managed to get the lid off as yet, but when I come across the treat tin I do my best!

dandysmom
10-02-2009, 09:42 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh my goodness - how DID she get the lid off? Surely she hasn't been in contact with that Darcy? Is it a catspiracy?

I cannot imagine how she did it! It's not a loose lid...been wondering all day! :shock:

Moli
10-02-2009, 09:44 PM
What a clever girl, doubt you are going to have to watch her from a distance tonight....;)

Elaine
10-02-2009, 09:45 PM
You'll need to set up a night vision camera to find out;)

dandysmom
10-02-2009, 09:52 PM
What a clever girl, doubt you are going to have to watch her from a distance tonight....;)

Moli, she does it in the middle of the night when I'm asleep, clever girl that she is! I'm a sound sleeper!

Tonight it's going on the very top shelf of the larder...

Moli
10-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Moli, she does it in the middle of the night when I'm asleep, clever girl that she is! I'm a sound sleeper!

Tonight it's going on the very top shelf of the larder...
Can she get the larder door open????

angieh
10-02-2009, 09:55 PM
You'll need to set up a night vision camera to find out;)

Wouldn't that be fun - to find out?

Elaine
10-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Wouldn't that be fun - to find out?

I think it would be very interesting to see exactly what our pets are up to when we are asleep. Any one with a night vision camera?

dandysmom
10-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Can she get the larder door open????

I suppose she could, as it has swinging louvered doors, but the top shelf is about 7 feet high, too far for her to jump, and scrabbling up all the shelves would be difficult. Besides, I'm going to put it there when she's having her after dinner nap. :-D

I hope these aren't famous last words ...... :roll:

pinklizzy
10-02-2009, 10:11 PM
What a clever girl Leia is! I wonder just how she does it? We really need a night vision camera, when I worked at Battersea they set one up to see one of the lurchers opening his own and other dogs kennels for a midnight snack!

Tink
10-02-2009, 10:22 PM
LOL @ Leia!!!
This is why my dresser drawers are full of treats instead of clothing :-)

calismum
10-02-2009, 10:28 PM
What a clever girl. Bet she's been checking what you are typing and knows exactly where the tin and the ladders are!

Mags
10-02-2009, 10:37 PM
I would take the tin to bed with you for safe keeping, Eileen! :-D

That's one clever cat you have there!!:lol:

dandysmom
10-02-2009, 10:42 PM
]I would take the tin to bed with you [/B]for safe keeping, Eileen! :-D

That's one clever cat you have there!!:lol:

And wake up to a bed full of dry food? She sleeps with me! :-D Think Tink's suggestion of the dresser drawers might do it, though . she can't open those!

random
10-02-2009, 10:46 PM
What a clever girl! Imagine she got it from the larder tonight, then you'd really be wondering! :lol:

Moli
10-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Now I will wonder until tomorrow if Leia managed to get her midnight feast!!!

yola
10-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Clever girl (the line from Jurassic Park springs to mine . . . is Leia a velocoraptor in disguise :shock: ).

My dry biscuit tin is hidden in a cupboard with a heavy weight on top which a cat cannot possibly shift :roll: . . . hopefully mine will do me as proud in the crafty-stakes as Leia has done you, but I doubt it. As long as it's in their bowl they're happy :D

angieh
10-02-2009, 11:00 PM
... and really, no wonder she is picky with her food otherwise. She's full up on those dry biscuits and knows how to get more if she feels peckish!

dandysmom
10-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Actually, I'm rather proud of how clever she is, although I probably shouldn't be. She doesn't do it on a regular basis, just a few times when she feels peckish in the wee small hours. I sort of condensed the story for the dramatic effect, although it was last night that she got the lid off. I'm afraid too much dry food will cause a recurrence of cystitis .... never want to go thru that again!

meep
11-02-2009, 10:43 AM
:lol: :lol: I am stitches reading that, I know mum is very annoyed, but what a clever girl! And as a bit of a coincidence, Darcy's new place to sit is on top of the fridge; perhaps they are communicating somehow?!

The moment they discover a new trick they'll do it as often as possible, even if they're not hungry. I was worried Darcy would be ill after eating almost a whole bag of treats, and I completely understand about the worry of dry food for Leia's cystisis, but you can't help but laugh and then cry at their cleverness!

If I come home and find Darcy's pushed all the cereal boxes off the top of the fridge we'll know they're really up to something!

meep
11-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Talking of crafty cats and not knowing how they do it, my childhood cat once managed to open the fridge door and pull out a whole plate of turkey :shock:

It had a handle but it did have the magnetic strips that pull it shut, he had nothing to lean on as it wasn't near a work surface, and till this day we really can't work out how he did it.

Also, my theory of Leia opening the lid is using her shout, not her paws. Once Darcy tried to push me up out of bed by pushing me shoulder up with his snout and it was really surprisingly strong.

alexgirl73
11-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Brilliant :lol: She is a genius.

dandysmom
11-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Can you imagine if Darcy and Leia weren't fixed, what brilliant and devilish kittens they'd have?!! :shock: Meep, suspect you're right about the snout. The tin was still in the larder this morning. Leia is probably thinking, thinking, thinking ....:-D

meep
11-02-2009, 05:17 PM
One thing I know for sure, they'd be devillishly handsome and strikingly beautiful ;)

Darcy was trying to open the cupboard door this mornign whilst I was standing in front of it (he was between me and it) making breakfast. He knew perfectly well he was doing something wrong as when I moved he looked up quickly with soulful eyes as if to say "I wasn't doing anything!" The cheek of that wee chappy!

It sounds like Leia would fare well with some of those activities mentioned for active, intelligent cats. I've been thinking of puzzles I could put together for Darcy. I managed to train him to run from a series of locations in consecutive order by placing treats on them. So from top of scratching post to lightswitch above radiator to intercome phone in hall, he'd run ahead of me knowing where I was going to put the next treat. Basic but he likes it!

dandysmom
11-02-2009, 05:28 PM
One thing I know for sure, they'd be devillishly handsome and strikingly beautiful ;)

Darcy was trying to open the cupboard door this mornign whilst I was standing in front of it (he was between me and it) making breakfast. He knew perfectly well he was doing something wrong as when I moved he looked up quickly with soulful eyes as if to say "I wasn't doing anything!" The cheek of that wee chappy!

It sounds like Leia would fare well with some of those activities mentioned for active, intelligent cats. I've been thinking of puzzles I could put together for Darcy. I managed to train him to run from a series of locations in consecutive order by placing treats on them. So from top of scratching post to lightswitch above radiator to intercome phone in hall, he'd run ahead of me knowing where I was going to put the next treat. Basic but he likes it!

Intelligent, yes, active, NO! Dear Leia is a couch potato! :D

I'm really impressed at how bright Darcy is :shock:; what a good thing he doesn't have opposable thumbs....the mind boggles..:-D

angieh
11-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I've been keen to read the next instalment of this thread and just Googled IQ tests for cats - there are loads of different sites - this is just an example, although I must say that I think this test is more about whether your cat likes to jump, so Darcy would probably pass with flying colours, but I am less optimistic about Leia!!!

http://sandtracker.tripod.com/cat-iq.html

meep
11-02-2009, 05:40 PM
I must check that out when I get home tonight! We were actually given a fun book for Christmas about determining your cats IQ but I flicked through it and it didnt factor in things like opening cupboards after opening doors. More like "do they sit in their foodbowl?" :?

Darcy loves jumping and if you dangle string for him he won't jump for hte bottom of the string but your hand that's holding it! So probably over 3 1/2 feet (I hold it at shoulder height and am 5'4).

I do think Stravinsky is equally as intelligent but, like Leia, enjoys lying down too much!

meep
11-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Just quickly looked at that link and I'm really not sure which way it'd go with Darcy. I know Stravinsky wouldn't go through the hoop, he'd walk round it (less effort!) and I think Darcy would understand the principle but he's also an inherently naughty cat who doesn't do as he's told. If you call his name he'll turn his ears around to show he's heard and maybe glance over his shoulder but won't come running automatically. He decides when to do what he's told!

Leesy
11-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Just read this thread it has had me in stitches, what clever little kitties we have, they will be taking over the world next LOL;).
I do luvvvvv:smt049 Leia, she is such a little sweetheart.

dandysmom
11-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks, Leesy: sweetheart, yes; little . well, 14 pounds ......

dandysmom
11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
I've been keen to read the next instalment of this thread and just Googled IQ tests for cats - there are loads of different sites - this is just an example, although I must say that I think this test is more about whether your cat likes to jump, so Darcy would probably pass with flying colours, but I am less optimistic about Leia!!!

http://sandtracker.tripod.com/cat-iq.html

Oh, she can jump, very well indeed, she just prefers not to exert herself unless it's absolutely necessary! :-D

meep
13-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I think Minsky and Leia sing off the same hymn sheet ;)

dandysmom
13-02-2009, 04:53 PM
I think Minsky and Leia sing off the same hymn sheet ;)

Lol, I agree 100%!

borderdawn
13-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Isnt she a star!!! She's such a cheeky girl Eileen, and very smart!