PDA

View Full Version : Mousie Update

Tina
07-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Hi Folks

Had Mousie to the vet today for her routine blood work and to have that wound on her neck looked at, as it still hasn't healed completely and it's been almost a month.

The good news is that her red cells, hemoglobin, and hematocrit have all risen to mid-normal range since putting her meds back up again. We are so thrilled, it is VERY good news! So we will definately be keeping her on the current dose. :D

Bad news is that the vet decided to take her blood from the side where her wound is so he could get a closer look at it when she was shaved. Upon shaving the area he discovered that it was far worse than we had suspected or then it looked through the fur. She has now been shaved all the way down one side of her neck onto the top of the chest and shoulder. The flesh in this entire area is lumpy, red, and irritated! :shock:

It's suspected that the wound began as a razor burn or razor rash as it started in the same area that she was shaved for bloodwork last time. The vet thinks she either suffered some skin irritation from the razor and scratched herself, or she may have had a small cut from the shaving.......bacteria got in, and an infection started.

Poor girl, she's got this sore-looking, angry skin infection spreading over one side of her top half, and she's really miserable about having anything put on it.......scratching, biting, hissing, and spitting....very unusual for Mouse as she's usually so easy-going! I wish I had realised it was bad before it got to this point but couldn't really see it had spread that far through the fur.......but I feel so guilty! :(

She is now on antibiotics and steroid creams (which are difficult to keep on her!) and she goes back to the vet next Thursday to see if there's any improvement.

dandysmom
07-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Oh dear, poor Mousie and poor you! Please don't blame yourself, there's no way you could have seen this. I just hope the steroids and antibiotics will alleviate it so she's not in such discomfort, and resisting what helps her. Please give a hug to the little girl from me and one for you too... so hard when they're hurting and we can't explain....

Keep us updated, please.

Tina
07-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Oh dear, poor Mousie and poor you! Please don't blame yourself, there's no way you could have seen this. I just hope the steroids and antibiotics will alleviate it so she's not in such discomfort, and resisting what helps her. Please give a hug to the little girl from me and one for you too... so hard when they're hurting and we can't explain....

Keep us updated, please.

Thanks DM, I will keep you updated. I'll give her a hug when I can get near her without her running away from me! She's really not happy with me right now what with trying to get extra meds in her and holding her still to put creams on her and keeping her from scratching/licking at it......hope she forgives soon and returns to being my "cuddly" kitty LOL!

PoshPuss
07-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Hoping that Mousie gets better soon and don't feel guilty, as I know how it feels to think you missed some thing important about your cat's health :( As I was told by my vet, they are good at hiding it! :)

Natalie
07-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Like the others have said, hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that and we have all been there. You have nothing to be or feel guilty about. Your love and care for Mousie is everything she needs. I shall send her a wee prayer your way and hope she recovers very soon (((HUGS)))

Mistleto's-mum
07-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Aww poor little girl.
Dont blame yourself as cats can hide things so well :(
Hve you thought about batheing their infected area with warm salty water :)

Keep us updated please.

Huds to you and your little girl.

Louise xxxx

calismum
07-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Tina - so pleased she has stabilised again. That is really good news.

I know exactly how you feel about the skin infection. Same thing hapened to me with a dog I owned. I took her to vet for a small infected area and he shaved a huge area - I felt that I should have noticed, but there was no way - so don't beat yourself up over it.

Big chin chucks to you from Alfie and Kinsi!!!!

angieh
08-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Glad to hear Mousie's blood levels are back to normal. That is such good news.

I am sure your vet didn't blame you for not realising her skin problem was more wide spread - don't blame yourself. Poor Mousie I do hope her discomfort calms down quickly and she becomes more herself.

Gentle arm's length cuddles from me and head butt from uncle Merlin.

Leesy
10-02-2009, 12:28 AM
So glad to hear Mousie`s blood works are back to normal that is great news:D.
So sorry to hear that wee little Mousie has got a nasty skin infection:( , but please don`t be too hard on yourself these things are easily missed because remember our little babies are full of a lot of fur ;) that hide a multitude of sins.
I know that she will not like having the antbiotics and the steroid cream applied but it won`t take long before they start to clear things up and Mousie will feel a whole lot better about things and be back to her usual self:D.
Give her a luvvvvly big chin rub from Me,Maxi, and Maisy.

Tina
10-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the comments all.

Mousie's infection seems to be a little less red and angry-looking.......but still nodular and quite pink. She's taking her antibiotics well.......though she's been taking meds every day for several months now so does it without fuss. When I say "pill time" she comes and gets on the kitchen table to wait for her meds! :lol:

Getting a bit more agreeable about the cream.....I think we made too big a deal about it the first night with me and OH both holding her to put it on.....and she FREAKED! Now I do it at mealtimes and put it on after I have her food ready then put her straight down in front of it and she forgets about everything else LOL! She LOVES her food!

Did I mention that she now weighs a HUGE (for her) 3.2kg?????? Still very tiny and "kittenish" but getting FAT!

Back to the vet to check her rash on Thursday night.....will update again.

dandysmom
10-02-2009, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the update, it does seem better. Poor little love; glad she's putting on some weight.