PDA

View Full Version : Darcy's new "trick"

meep
03-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Darcy is forever working out new things that are initially endearingly cute but then you realise slowly that he's building his skills repertoire until eventually he'll be able to dominate the entire flat :lol:

Most recently he's developed a knack (through no training or being shown!) of opening cupboards. First of all he's worked out how to open the sliding doors of the wardrobe. They're pretty heavy but he's work out the middle one of three is easier to move so he just uses his snout to push and push until there's a gap for him to squeeze in.

But more worryingly, he's managed to work out how to open the cupboard to his food and treats :roll: It's one of the kitchen unit cupboards. It's not got a handle but is just a flat surface that has a slight ridge at the top that you hook your fingers under to open. He's been fidgeting at it for ages trying to just catch it as he would any normal door and pull with his paw. But that wasn't working.

Two nights ago I was sitting on the sofa when I heard a frantic rustling. Looked into the kitchen only to see Darcy's rear-end sticking out the cat-food cupboard, and found him desperately trying to get his treats out of their bag! So when I took him out and brought him through to the living room, he waited maybe 10 mins then sauntred through. This time I watched him. He goes up on his hind legs and leans both front paws above the cupboard door, the first of all uses his snout to get leverage under the finger-hold to just ease the cupboard door open, then he'll quickly stick one paw into the open crack and pull. It's a door that will 'swing shut' unless clicked open so it must have taken a bit of detective work on his part.

I couldn't help laughing at how clever he was to work it out :lol: But now we need to keep them locked out of the kitchen while we're at work otherwise I'd be coming home to two cats high on cat nip, treats and whatever else they find in there!

Just wanted to share, I've not posted about my two boys in a while :)

dinahsmum
03-02-2009, 02:27 PM
You'll need to pop to Mothercare to get some cupboard locks!
(Unless Darcey is cleverer than a small human)

angieh
03-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Clever Darcy! And persistent .... DM is right cupboard locks are the answer. One assumes (!) that Darcy doesn't know he's being naughty!?

meep
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Oh I think he does angie! When I saw him do it hte second time I walked through and he looked up at me with soulful eyes then sulked off.

He's a bit of a trouble maker. In the evenings he often gets really hyper and runs from room to room jumping on the bed, the couch and Stravinsky looking alert and playful. The things he jumps on has extended to our shoulders! It's another new trick and it scares the bejeebies out of me! One night I was just sitting at my desk reading a book, alone in the flat, and suddenly it felt as if someone had grabbed my soliders from behind. It was Darcy jumping up onto them for attention then running of in a 'boundy' way as if to say he wants to play.

Also when he gets told "NO!" sternly for eitehr jumping up on the kitchen surfaces when we're cooking or something similar, he won't jump down, he'll flatten himself into the surface, narrow his eyes, flatten his ears and try and 'fall asleep' as a ploy so we won't push him off. And if I do try and knudge him off he'll lean into my arm to try and stop me. He doesn't hiss or get angry, but he really is the cheekiest little chappy ever. He definately knows when he's doing something naughty, and I think he likes it! :roll:

May have to invest in the child safety locks!

angieh
03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I love your description of Darcy's behaviour, meep! It does seem that he knows full well that he's being naughty - but does he realise what "naughty" actually is?

It certainly seems that his excess of energy in the evenings causes him to bound about in that way - that's probably natural for a young cat. It's very good that he shows no aggression, but landing on your shoulders has got to be painful.

meep
03-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Well he's decided he loves shoulders generally. OH 'works out' a lot and has very big shoulders. Once when OH was holding Darcy, he climbed up onto his shoulders and looked like he was in heaven. purring, head butting, trying to lie down, kneading with his paws. He loved it. It's probably his favourite place to be in the whole world. He's now worked out how to lie along OH's shoulders too, wrapped round his neck, and if OH sticks out his arm Darcy will lie along that. He honestly has a look of bliss on his face.

So since this started, Darcy attempts to do the same on mine but I could probably fit a hamster on my shoulders let alone a big boy cat! So he just jumps up then jumps down again. It's not sore really, he only uses his claws lightly and as its winter we've been wearing thick jumpers. Bare shoulders in summer will be a different matter!

I also think he knows what 'naughty' is, and also how to be 'soucky' and be affectionate or 'adorable' when he wants something. He has many different meows that correspond with the behaviour. He has a very high-pitched "mrr??" like he's asking a question when he's all loving with his whiskers curled forward, tip of the tail bent over, and he's kneading his paws up and down as he stands look at you. That's the "if i look cute enough they'll give me a treat". Then there's the "rraaoOOWWW!" when he's being ignored, which generally preceeds the 'naughty' behaviour.

They are both really energetic, but Darcy definately is the one who has 'bursts'. He's also started this hilarious habit that has me in stitches everytime where he'll run through to the bedroom, jum on the bed and start to 'attack' it by trying to pull off the blanket that covers the duvet whilst standing on it, and then once it's half up, he'll hide underneath it. It really is hilarious, i've tried to catch it on camera but my battery has been dead for ages. I really must try again now that it's charged :lol:

meep
03-02-2009, 03:56 PM
And I definately wouldnt say any of his activities, no matter how naughty, are 'behavioural' problems. He seems thoroughly happy and chripy whilst doing all of them, they're not aggresive ;)

dandysmom
03-02-2009, 05:50 PM
What a great story! Looks as if you have a cat Einstein there ... amazing how he's figured out how to open forbidden places! Sultan figured out how to open the doors in the hall chest; first time I came home from work and saw them open I thought I'd had a burglar! And both he and Dandy were back jumpers!

Sounds as if the childproof locks might be a wise investment!

angieh
03-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Some while ago Fran posted something about her "problem solving kittens" - I will see if I can find it again. I wonder if you could set Darcy some problems and see if he can work them out!

cats' staff
03-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Just be careful- if he manages to develop opposable thumbs you may be in real trouble......

Natalie
03-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Sorry but I had a real giggle reading all of his antics. I know it can be a pest but in all honesty, i bet you wouldn't want him any other way ;-)

Leesy
04-02-2009, 12:31 AM
He sounds such a little sweet heart, so full of lovable mischeif and cheekyness, bet there is never a dull moment in your house:D :D

meep
04-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Eileen, if we'd gotten Darcy, Sultan and Dandy altogether they may have been capable of so much! :lol:

Some while ago Fran posted something about her "problem solving kittens" - I will see if I can find it again. I wonder if you could set Darcy some problems and see if he can work them out!

Angie, that sounds really interesting; do let me know if you find it! I love the idea of developing Darcy's problem solving abilities although I'm not entirely sure if I want to encourage his crafty intelligence too much ;)

Cats' staff, I was laughing so hard at that! We really would be in trouble if cats developed opposable thumbs!

Nat & Leesey, you're right, I really wouldn't change him for the whole world! All his antics are adorable and cheeky, and they make me smile. He's not a bad boy, just cheeky!

Last night he jumped on my back again unexpectedly, but he managed to stay up there for about 2 mins. I have very narrow shoulders so his balance is getting better!

dandysmom
04-02-2009, 05:14 PM
meep, Dandy not only jumped on MY back, he jumped on visitors backs also! I had to warn people...he was only 8 1/2 pounds, but Sultan was a large 12 pound boy and when he jumped on you you knew it!! Thank God Leia doesn't jump!!!

meep
05-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Oh that's so lovely! If i had visited and Sultan had jumped on my back I'd be so impressed and happy! Although I can imagine not all people would feel the same ;) Darcy's 13 pounds and you can definately tell when he makes his appearance. Thank goodness Stravinsky isn't partial to it, weighing in at 15 pounds, and a lot 'bulkier' than Darcy. I don't know if he'd fit!