PDA

View Full Version : Cats Protection.... :-(

janey83
31-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Ive just come back from my local CP and omg I saw the most amazing kitten ever. When we asked about her they said do we live on a main road? I said yeah, but we've already got a cat who 5 months and he's gonna be an indoor cat. Then they said they dont allow kittens to become an indoor cat!!! :shock:

Thought that was the best way to start them off as being a kitten rather than an adult cat and tryin to get it to stayin indoors.

I was fuming n still am.:mad: :cry:

dinahsmum
31-01-2009, 05:43 PM
*sigh*
I sometimes think these animal charities (particularly cats) are their own worst enemies.
They do such fantastic work and then let themselves (and their charges) down by setting hard and fast rules which often prevent wonderful potential adopters taking a cat/kitten.
So, say someone (not our Janey) has a feeling that they want a cat/can offer a home. They go and view and fall for a puss. Then they're told no, for a reason like she was. What do they do? Well, one of 3 things I suppose.
1, Don't get a cat. A perfectly fine home, unused, and another cat waiting in the shelter
2.. Go to another charity with more flexible rules.
3. Look in the local free paper and buy a kitten, thus perpetuating unregulated breeding.
Daft.

PS - so this CP branch says indoor cats are a no-no? How odd. I think it's a really difficult decision but in some locations it's the only decision

Moli
31-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Find that ridiculous, I would not allow a kitten to go to home where it would be let out...Not surprised you are angry I would be too!!Amazing how branches differ.....

alexgirl73
31-01-2009, 06:36 PM
aarrgghhh! Makes me mad!

Elaine
31-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I honestly dont know how some branches of CP branches manage to rehome at all with some of their ridiculous rules. Surely each case should be judged on it's merit.

Kazz
31-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Are you sure ts a rule and not someone's whim? I sometimes despair.

dandysmom
31-01-2009, 09:36 PM
That's absurd and maddening! They'd rather rehome a kitten to a house by a busy road and have it be the victim of a RTA??? :shock: The mind boggles .....

Leesy
31-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I am lost for words, it is just a ridiculous attitude to take:?
In fact it makes me MAD:evil:

calismum
31-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Can only echo all above.

I thought CP was a sort of national body and all rules would be the same all over.

Does make you very angry tho' good home perhaps missed due to individual rules.

janey83
01-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks all for your replies.

I'm still thinking about her, she's gorgeous, her name is Ceskey (Sess-key). She was the last thing I thought of last night and the first thing in the morning.

Ive spoke to my mum and said could she live here for a bit and let them do the assessment on my parents house (which I'm still living in!) then in a few weeks take her to my bf's house (or she might live her with me, hehe.) My mum said yeah but my dad says I don't want to be involved pffft! Men (some men rather lol!)

Anyway if I go back to the CP I'm sure they'll recognise me. Would they still let me have her if I said I'm having her and not my bf? My parents live on a nice estate with some woods at the bottom of our road.
Main roads are just as dangerous as any road really, Tigger got knocked down on my estate.

I cant really go to the CP today with my mum as its my parents wedding anniversary today. I so want to go back tomorrow (I'll have to dress totally different for them not to recognise me lol). My mum will totally fall for her just as I have.

Leesy
01-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I hope your plan works and they don`t recognise you LOL:lol: , good luck and let us know how you get on.:-D

laragreg
01-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I thought they were struggling to find homes for cats/kittens at the moment.....Whats wrong with indoor cats? I have indoor cats that are very fit and healthy. (ragdoll and dsh).

janey83
01-02-2009, 02:10 PM
I thought they were struggling to find homes for cats/kittens at the moment.....Whats wrong with indoor cats? I have indoor cats that are very fit and healthy. (ragdoll and dsh).

They just said they dont let people have the kittens if the kitten will become an indoor cat. I should of asked more questions when she said that but I was quite shocked and was upset at the time!

Ughhh, cant believe it lol.

laragreg
01-02-2009, 02:41 PM
I would have been upset as well, I hope you go back and talk to them you can offer a good home, good luck.

ps... I m going watchin p!nk in april can't wait, taking my 8 yr old daughter to her first gig.

janey83
02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
ps... I m going watchin p!nk in april can't wait, taking my 8 yr old daughter to her first gig.

Oh cool, I was on the phone for hours from 9am till like 2pm trying to get tickets, everywhere had sold out, finally got some that are in the gods. So when they put new dates up in Aug I got a link to the pre sale tickets whoo hoo.

----
Not gonna be able to go to the cats protection either today, I bet she's gone by the time I come to get her, If not then its a miracle!

yola
02-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Unfortunately the CP rules are just guidelines which the branches operate by, so essentially they interpret them how they see fit. Also, it's very difficult, because even with a branch like ours which is quite forward looking as we have a super co-ordinator, some of the volunteers who get involved have very strong views and tend to impose those rather than follow prescribed guidelines.

If you feel very strongly about this Jane, why don't you get back in touch and speak to the co-ordinator or actual rehoming officer and state your case logically without getting over-emotional? This may end up with you getting what you want! ;)

dandysmom
02-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Excellent suggestion from Yola; give it a try! Good luck!

Kazz
02-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Yeap give it a try, best luck if she cmes home to you she should be called Karma

meep
03-02-2009, 02:23 PM
That is so strange! I wonder if each branch of the CP has different 'ground rules' as our Glasgow one will rehome kittens as indoor cats only. Glasgow is a busy city so maybe they encourage indoor cats to prevent RTA?

We really didn't have any problems with our CP. Our flat isn't the biggest and I was worried they might think two large male cats would find it stifling but they said it was perfect for them!

Tanya
03-02-2009, 04:19 PM
When I rang my local CP branch (about three years ago!), I told them I wanted an indoor cat. They wouldn't let me have a kitten but said I could have an old cat or one with feline aids. As a result of that, I had to look elsewhere. ;)

Surely, if an animal is going to a good home, it doesn't matter if it is an indoor or an outdoor does it? In my opinion, if you are a good owner, you wouldnt buy a cat for outdoors if you lived on a busy road, so why do CP have to be fussy. :S

pcspik
14-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Unfortunately the CP rules are just guidelines which the branches operate by, so essentially they interpret them how they see fit. Also, it's very difficult, because even with a branch like ours which is quite forward looking as we have a super co-ordinator, some of the volunteers who get involved have very strong views and tend to impose those rather than follow prescribed guidelines.

Like Yola said is correct. My local one is the one that also follows that rules, which was originally dicated by head office.

Take this example: 10 month old kitten(s) which have been in since they were tiny in our isolation unit with ringworm. A year ago we would have rehomed them as indoor only cats (and in many cases would have gone much quicker), this year we had to rehome our last two pairs as outdoors only but going in a rural area.

The only ones that they are going to rehome ones as indoors only are (in no particular order): blind cats, deaf cats, ones are over 3 which have been indoors only their whole life or FIV cats. We have some elderly cats (think 14+) which in the past they may have been rehomed as indoors only (as they tend not to be bothered about going outside) but again they are not allowed to be indoors only any more.

But like Yola said, try explaining the case, but some managers can be rude and so belligerent that it may not get you anywhere.

angieh
14-08-2009, 07:31 PM
It's very sad - generally CP do such a good job looking after cats in need.

pcspik
14-08-2009, 07:44 PM
It's very sad - generally CP do such a good job looking after cats in need.

It is because (at least Head office thinks) that cats should be given the chance to go outside, whether they want to or not. I personally disagree with that to some extent, for example the ringworm kittens situation.

But what I don't get is that what is there to stop someone lying to the rehoming officer (or whoever conducts the visit) and saying that they will let out their 8 week old kitten when the time is right when in reality they dont? Yes I know there is the post homing visit, but if it is done 3 months later they could lie the second time. If anything else is fine, then who is to know?