PDA

View Full Version : Fighting, possible bullying going on

Phoenix
29-01-2009, 07:36 PM
There's a ginger and white cat who lives somewhere on our road, we think he's a bully.

He's been fighting with Dylan a lot, and used to scare the daylights out of Beauty (got to the stage where Beauty would only go out round the back garden where she felt "safe")

He's been fighting with Dylan today (we think it's ginger and white anyway), Dylan's got two scratches on his back. I noticed them when I got back in from college, went to stroke him and his purr got a little deeper and louder. Not much, but I think his back is a little sore.

We think the ginger and white cat sneaked up behind Dylan and ambushed him.

Dylan's been sheltering in the sitting room, quite nervous and jumpy.

Is there any way of getting that one particular cat away from Dylan and our garden?

UPDATE: Dylan's out of the sitting room, and has been in and out of the back door marking his territory.

angieh
29-01-2009, 08:59 PM
...... that actually goes some way to solving the problem of why Dylan was spraying indoors (?a different thread of yours RCR???). He feels threatened by this cat, who may be the local tom. There really is little you can do IMO. Merlin had the same trouble when we first moved to our current home. The local farm cat was a complete bully-boy and bit Merlin on his tail, causing an abscess that nearly lost Merlin his tail. In a strange twist of fate which had nothing to do with anyone we know, the farm cat was poisoned. A dreadful end for the cat and absolutely criminal. Never found out what happened.

In the general way of cat society, I do believe that they sort these things out for themselves. Poor Dylan - all you can do is make absolutely sure that the ginger cat cannot get into Dylan's (and your) home.

Phoenix
29-01-2009, 09:03 PM
...... that actually goes some way to solving the problem of why Dylan was spraying indoors (?a different thread of yours RCR???). He feels threatened by this cat, who may be the local tom. There really is little you can do IMO. Merlin had the same trouble when we first moved to our current home. The local farm cat was a complete bully-boy and bit Merlin on his tail, causing an abscess that nearly lost Merlin his tail. In a strange twist of fate which had nothing to do with anyone we know, the farm cat was poisoned. A dreadful end for the cat and absolutely criminal. Never found out what happened.

In the general way of cat society, I do believe that they sort these things out for themselves. Poor Dylan - all you can do is make absolutely sure that the ginger cat cannot get into Dylan's (and your) home.

Although we've got a cat flap, Dylan can use it to go out but we locked it a while ago to prevent him from bringing in rats, so Mr. Ginger and white can't get in at all. (not sure of ginger and white boy's name)

I knew there was one cat Dylan didn't get on with, thought it was Beauty's boyfriend Barrie he fought with, probably both though!

dandysmom
29-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Sorry to say that other than keeping Dylan indoors, there really nothing that can be done to discourage the bully cat. I agree that's why he's started marking indoors.

Leesy
29-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Yep I definatley agree with everyone else that will be why he had been spraying indoors, we had a BIG black and white bully cat on our road that scared of one of my friends wee little cat:( , she was a doll and he was just a BIG BULLY.
They have moved away now and took him with them so everthing is all lovely and peaceful now:D .

ellie1771
29-01-2009, 10:58 PM
hi i had the same problem and started to keep an eye out for the bully tha had tigger my grey tabby. when he came in our garden i sprayed him with water and after a few days he stopped coming any where near our house. it semmed to sort the problem out and tigg as we call hgm for shrt has not been fighting since. it has been really quiet now for several months!!! keep trying and it will work. good luck

dandysmom
29-01-2009, 11:01 PM
That would probably work if you were at home, but people who are at work or college won't be around to deter the bully cat.

ellie1771
29-01-2009, 11:03 PM
i work but even when i was at work a neighbour told me that they hadn't seen the ginger tom so even if its not every time he comes in to the garden it dose still work you just need to persevere and get him as wet as you can when you can!!!!!!!

Phoenix
30-01-2009, 11:35 AM
i work but even when i was at work a neighbour told me that they hadn't seen the ginger tom so even if its not every time he comes in to the garden it dose still work you just need to persevere and get him as wet as you can when you can!!!!!!!

I don't know whether that would work woth ginger and white though, we've tried scaring him off and getting our next door neighbour to scare him off, but he's fearless! He just looks at you as if to say "Yeah? What do you want?"

angieh
30-01-2009, 12:14 PM
That does sound like the farm cat I mentioned. I even threatened him with a broom and he stood his ground and the look he gave me would have done credit to a proper human thug.

dandysmom
30-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I suspect he probably hasn't been neutered!

Phoenix
30-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I suspect he probably hasn't been neutered!

He certaintly isn't friendly, DM! If you try to shoo him away he glares at you and won't move a paw!