PDA

View Full Version : Variants, mutations, hybrids

Elaine
29-01-2009, 06:16 PM
http://www.messybeast.com/breeds-s.htm

http://www.messybeast.com/breeds.htm

What do you think of these?
Not being all that clued up on pedigree cats, I always thought of the sphynx as the mexican hairless and hadnt realised the latter had died out.
Isnt it all becoming like the designer dog thing. Personally, I think I'll stick with my moggies, much less complicated.

dandysmom
29-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Fascinating article, Elaine; I love Messy Beast; always something of interest there. I too didn't know the Mexican Hairless was extinct. I agree there are some weird crosses out there; we don't want to go down the path the dog breeders have done. It's hard to improve on the basic cat!

Elaine
29-01-2009, 10:27 PM
But aren't we already going down that path with munchkins being the basset hounds of the cat world and laperms being the labradoodle.
I dont want to get into the whole doggy thing but many of you know that i like bassets, not so much as they are now but as they used to be. When we had a basset as, I distictly remember there being quite a gap between the floor and his chest.

Leesy
29-01-2009, 10:30 PM
What an interesting link, there is and have been some very strange mixes:shock:

dandysmom
29-01-2009, 10:56 PM
But aren't we already going down that path with munchkins being the basset hounds of the cat world and laperms being the labradoodle.
I dont want to get into the whole doggy thing but many of you know that i like bassets, not so much as they are now but as they used to be. When we had a basset as, I distictly remember there being quite a gap between the floor and his chest.

Well, we have, gone down it to some degree, look at some of the breeds that are so very extreme. But not as badly, I think, as the dog fancy.

I must admit I met an utterly charming Scottish Fold at a cat show; but the problems that breed would have with ear infections!

Moli
30-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Why people cannot leave breeds alone I do not know, be it cat or dog!!!!!

angieh
30-01-2009, 10:00 AM
The trouble with humans - interfering with natural selection, but then haven't we always? If it's not cats and dogs, it's been cattle, sheep, pigs, plants - in fact anything that can be interfered with has been.

dinahsmum
30-01-2009, 12:34 PM
I think one of the reasons cats appear to be generally healthier creatures than dogs is because they are generally more 'natural', more true to the original of their species.
As far as I'm concerned, smooth or long-furred and slim bodied or chunky, combined with all the colours, gives enough variation.

Mind you, without there being Rex's, my sister would be unable to enjoy the company of a feline, as her OH is allergic.

laragreg
30-01-2009, 01:50 PM
What an intresting website.

Phoenix
30-01-2009, 08:13 PM
I think I'll follow your example Elaine and just stick with moggies!