PDA

View Full Version : Is my cat sick or stressed out?

lucy2423
27-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I have a 4 1/2 year old Tabby, named Cami. She is spayed. She has been fine until just recently. I am gone on the weekends and am wondering if this is the cause of the problems. When I came back this last time, she had thrown up while I was gone and later that night threw up 2 more times. She's a very vocal cat but seemed even more vocal. I figured it was just due to me being gone & she was happy to see me again. I did notice that she was cleaning her genital area a lot. I was at work most of the next day but that evening I noticed her behavior change. She would be fine for awhile & then get restless. The licking continued and she made frequent trips to her litter box. I supervised a couple of times and one time there was nothing in the box after she left. Later that night she tried to pee in my living room. I have noticed that her stool is about 1/2 its normal width. I'm wondering if there is a medical problem or if she's just stressed out from me being gone every weekend. Does anyone have any advice?

farthing
27-01-2009, 07:08 PM
I would guess your cat has cystitis, and should see a vet for antibiotics, it might also be worth getting her anal glands checked. Cystitis can be stress related, so it could be linked to her being worry about you being away.
Hope this helps.

Moli
27-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Sounds like cystitis to me too, I would get her to the vets as soon as possible....

kirsty01
27-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Definately agree with the others, she could be blocked which is very uncomfortable for her and stress can cause this too so take her to the vet! Good luck x

lucy2423
27-01-2009, 08:07 PM
I just took her to the vet - she has an appointment scheduled in an hour. I will post what I find out about my little goober.

Mags
27-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Good luck.....look forward to hearing the results..

angieh
27-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Hope she is OK.

dandysmom
27-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Hope she'll be OK, cystitis is treatable; do let us know what the vet said.

lucy2423
27-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I just heard back from the vet. There were no crystals present. She has a bacterial infection. The vet pushed on her bladder & Cami peed all over the table! lol However, there was blood in the urine. The vet is trying a new injectable medication on her. It's one shot that is supposed to last 7 to 14 days so I don't have to try to feed her any medication. I'm so happy they figured out what was wrong w/ her. Thank you all for your concern!

dandysmom
27-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Glad to hear it was diagnosed and treatable! Do you happen to know the name of that imjectable antibiotic? I'd like to ask my vet about it; Leia was impossible to pill when she had an attack of cystitis ...

lucy2423
27-01-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm not sure what it is called. I will find out when I go to pick her up. When I heard it was something the vet was going to inject just one time, I was all for it! But I will post the name of it when I get home.

Tina
27-01-2009, 11:38 PM
The injectable antibiotic is very effective! Mousie had it when she was had a tummy problem.....I can't remember what it was called though LOL!

lucy2423
28-01-2009, 04:49 AM
The injectable antibiotic is called Cefovecin (Convenia). The cost was $25.80. Hope this helps some of you! So far Cami seems fine. Time will tell if the antibiotic works or not.

Leesy
28-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Hope the antibiotic injection works:) , Maxi was diagnosed with cytitus and had one but it didn`t work for him:cry: , he has had to have some investigations and his now on some antibitotic tabs and some cystease tabs which seem to be doing the trick:D .
So fingers crossed the injection will wotk just fine for your wee little girl :) .

lucy2423
04-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Update on Cami --- It's been a week since her injection. She's back to normal! All the symptoms she was having are gone. She's talking less, no blood in her urine, and I haven't seen her cleaning herself like crazy. I am sooooo happy to have my kitty back to normal!

Moli
04-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Brilliant news, so pleased Cami is back to normal....

Mags
04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Fantastic news, glad she's ok again :D

Leesy
04-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Thats really good news so glad to hear that :D

dandysmom
04-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Wonderful news!!!!

lucy2423
10-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Ok - false alarm. Cami is sick again. Blood in her urine, crying more than usual, cleaning herself constantly. Guess she's going back to the vet again....sigh...

dandysmom
10-02-2009, 02:50 AM
Oh dear, Lucy, sorry to hear that; do let us know how she's doing! I do hope they can get this cleared up for poor Cami....

lucy2423
10-02-2009, 04:25 AM
Does anybody know if vitamins (human kind) would work? I know they work for human bladder infections just wondering if they would work for a cat???

dandysmom
10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't do that without discussing it with the vet; cats react differently to medications than humans (aspirin can kill them!), and how would you determine the correct dosage?

lucy2423
10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Very true, dandy. I took her to the vet this morning & they gave her another shot. It was more expensive this time so I think they bumped up the amount. I sure hope this works this time. I can't afford to keep taking her in.

dandysmom
10-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Fingers crossed that it will work this tine; so distressing for you both. (((hugs)))

lucy2423
12-02-2009, 09:00 PM
*argh* I am honestly tired of posting to this site. No offense but that just means that my little Cami still isn't better. They gave her the shot (for the 2nd time) on Tuesday and I haven't seen any improvement. I get to take her back AGAIN this afternoon. They plan on doing another blood test. This is getting old REALLY fast.

Leesy
12-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Hows little Cami doing? did they come up with anything new? I know exactly how you feel it seems never ending after 5wks of messing with Maxi on Steroids, antibiotics and cystease tabs they have now actually found calcium oxilate crystals in his urine that were not there when I first took him with blood in his urine. They have now put him on a prescrition diet "RC Urinal S/O" wet food that he is not keen on at all, then he has to have another urine sample done in a few weeks time:( .
Will it ever end?:cry:

Elaine
13-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Does anybody know if vitamins (human kind) would work? I know they work for human bladder infections just wondering if they would work for a cat???

Do you know if it's due to stress that it's re-occurring or is it that the AB's are not clearing the infection?
Just a thought and you may want to discuss this with your vet first, if it's due to stress, cats lose alot of B-vitamins when stressed, so maybe some extra might help her to cope. B-vitamins are water soluble so any excess will be filtered out via urination. Again if it's due to stress, has something changed in the home to make her feel stressed? Could be something as simple as re-arranging the furnature or something. I have also heard of people giving their cats a little cranberry juice but again I wouldnt unless you have discussed it with your vet.
Another note on the B-vitamins, if the vet says it's ok to try but advises you to give her brewers yeast, which is a good source of B vits, I advise that you dont do this as the yeast will not help at all with her cystitis and will make it worse.

lucy2423
13-02-2009, 01:34 AM
The vet did mention that Cami might have stones and that there might be crystals that just aren't present yet. I now have to give Cami injections, once a day for 14 days. As far as stress, I have been leaving on the weekends. But that's been going on for months now so I'm not sure why this would become a problem now. And even if that is the culprit, would that cause blood in the urine??? I'm sure she is stressed. Poor kitty.

lucy2423
04-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Holy smokes - I haven't posted to this in a long time. Cami keeps relapsing. I have no idea what's going on. The vets don't seem to know either. It "could" be this and it "could" be that. I just want a straight answer. So I have now changed her food that's supposed to help w/ bladder issues. And her fountain just showed up in the mail today so I will be setting that up for her. I can't keep taking her to the vet just to come back home & have the problems start up again. She was fine for 10+ days w/out having any antibiotics. Then she relapsed this past weekend. Sometimes she can pee her full amount, others it's just little piddles. She's cleaning more than normal but not insanely excessive. I haven't noticed any blood in the urine yet.

pookyandjo
06-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi , just navigating my way around the siteand reading of some of the other problems people are having with their fur babies... if it's any help to you my Tinky Winky who has been undergoing numerous surgeries in the last 6 weeks has been on an injectible antibiotic which last for 14 days... it's called Convenia.. I believe it's only been avavilable in recent months.

Hope this helps