PDA

View Full Version : Candy's diet!

farthing
26-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Candy is our 13 year old ginger girl, who we think has IBD, after various tests.
We have her on zantac and a fish only diet at the moment- ie. she will only eat fish. We have bought hills sensitivity, burns ocean fish, purina natures choice, tesco's finest- she will have a nibble but not much, however she will eat a whole block of fish. As with Misty I am worried about her getting enough nutrients, but I've also been told she is better on a low fat diet. Today we got some hills i/d prescrition diet ( £1.12 a tiny tin, after discount :shock:), but that's OK if she eats it. Even if she gets fish for breakfast and a tin for tea, I would be happy, but I am looking for other alternatives, because it is very expensive and what if she doesn't eat it.
I have read a raw food diet is good, but I don't like the idea of this, Mustard has got toxoplasmosis, from a diet of mice, so I would guess any raw food would also be a risk.
So, assuming, I find out that fish isn't a complete diet- any suggestions!

angieh
26-01-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm afraid I'm not much help with your general questions, farthing but it is my understanding that raw food can be fed if previously frozen and that the freezing makes it safe. I sometimes give Merlin raw mince, but it has always been frozen and de-frosted first.

Leesy
27-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi Farthing how has Candy got on with the Hills I/D, my Maxi is on the I/D but he has the chicken pouches, we had a free sample of the tin which I think is Turkey and he hated it, he didn`t even try eat he just sniffed it and then turned his head away as if to say I am not eating thatLOL.

farthing
27-01-2009, 03:10 PM
In gave her some last night, and had to mix some fish in with it to interest her. In hindsight, it is probably sensible to do this anyway so as I don't upset her stomach with sudden changes. She hasn't been sick, so it must be OK. Smudge ate what was left, so it can't taste too bad.:lol:

Leesy
27-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Thats good news:D , even though Maxi didn`t eat his Maisy did so like you said it can`t be that bad:roll: