PDA

View Full Version : Good anti virus protection

Kazz
26-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Based on Smudgleys computer's sad demise....due to the virus can anyone reccomend a good anti virus protection?

mattde
26-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Based on Smudgleys computer's sad demise....due to the virus can anyone reccomend a good anti virus protection?

I'm in the IT industry, I have been using Kaspersky for the last 6 years on residential and business machines. Very good virus detection rates, doesn't slow you machine down like Norton, you don't get constant pop ups about renewing and updating. You can buy a 2 year licence so you don't have to remember to renew every year. I must have installed the software on about 600 machines, god that's sad.
I have found that some anti virus software misses certain viruses that Kaspersky will detect.
Not many people have heard of Kaspersky , but trust me they are very good at what they do.
Get a 30 day trial and review it your self.

:)

yola
26-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Yes, we have Kaspersky at work and never had a problem. I would thoroughly recommend it.

angieh
26-01-2009, 09:09 PM
I have NOD32

dandysmom
26-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Actually, I don't have anything but the Mac Firewall that came with the computer. I suppose I should look into it, but so few viruses are written for Macs that I've never done anything....

Matt, does that work for Macs?

EmmaG
26-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I use Kaspersky on the laptop - it is very good, but use Norton on my desktop - but you need to make sure any Windows Anti Virus is disabled as they do not like each other.

mattde
27-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Actually, I don't have anything but the Mac Firewall that came with the computer. I suppose I should look into it, but so few viruses are written for Macs that I've never done anything....

Matt, does that work for Macs?

I dont touch Macs , if I had couple K spare I would buy a power mac g5 :roll: crazy price for a computer.
I've been a PC user since 1995, do a little linux stuff , not much tho. Waiting for Google to release an OS and I will move to that :-) .
This article might be of some use for mac users.
http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/tp/aamacvir.htm

Kaspersky doesn't seem to do an AV for Mac

dandysmom
27-01-2009, 05:13 PM
I dont touch Macs , if I had couple K spare I would buy a power mac g5 :roll: crazy price for a computer.
I've been a PC user since 1995, do a little linux stuff , not much tho. Waiting for Google to release an OS and I will move to that :-) .
This article might be of some use for mac users.
http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/tp/aamacvir.htm

Kaspersky doesn't seem to do an AV for Mac

Thanks, that's helpful; have bookmarked it, Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much choice for older versions like my 10.2.8.

mattde
27-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks, that's helpful; have bookmarked it, Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much choice for older versions like my 10.2.8.

Think your fairly safe using the Mac without, as long as your careful what you download and what websites you go on. Also dot let kids use it. :-) Kids and limewire = Virus machine.

dandysmom
27-01-2009, 05:42 PM
I am cautious about downloading and sites, Matt, and the only kid here has 4 feet and is completely uninterested in the computer...although she does step on the keyboard sometimes..!! Thanks!

Tanya
27-01-2009, 07:37 PM
AVG is a really good free virus software. ;)

calismum
28-01-2009, 12:23 AM
I have Norton on my laptop and Sophos on my PC.

Had no probs with either of them.