PDA

View Full Version : What dog breeds do you like but never see

Kazz
25-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Based on the greyhound none seeing thread is their a breed of dog you like but rarely see...

yola
25-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Red Setters. I used to see lots but not so much now. Also Afghan Hounds.

Mind you, I don't really hang out in places where dogs do, so for all I know there may be plenty . . . I simply don't come across them!!

(got the right thread this time :roll: )

Kim
25-01-2009, 06:50 PM
I rarely see Tibetan Spaniels. An aunt used to have 2 who we used to look after when I much younger. Lovely little dogs.

Moli
25-01-2009, 06:54 PM
I love Manchester Terriers, but have never seen one...

Annestaff
25-01-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm the same as Yola has to be Red Setters. When I was a kid everyone seemed to have them but I havn't seen one for years in the flesh.

angieh
25-01-2009, 09:12 PM
My cousin used to have Red Setters and a girl I went to college with had Afghan Hounds. Have to say I don't see any "pedigree" dogs much apart from Cavalier King Charles, a breed which I understand is hugely popular.

I've been looking at dog breeds this afternoon encouraged by this thread and have come across Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers - never ever seen them apart from the Crufts show. I'm looking for OH, who needs a dog.

calismum
25-01-2009, 10:39 PM
My cousin used to have Red Setters and a girl I went to college with had Afghan Hounds. Have to say I don't see any "pedigree" dogs much apart from Cavalier King Charles, a breed which I understand is hugely popular.

I've been looking at dog breeds this afternoon encouraged by this thread and have come across Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers - never ever seen them apart from the Crufts show. I'm looking for OH, who needs a dog.

:lol: :lol: :lol: know how he feels tho' I can't imagine not having one.

Anyway rarely if ever see my two fav breeds after Goldens.

Italian greyhounds and Glen of Imaal Terriers.

farthing
26-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Working in a vets, I get to see quite a few unusual breeds, a breed I do like but never see is a gordon setter- they are beautiful!

smudgley
27-01-2009, 11:16 AM
They are Irish setters (as opposed to red setters);)

Leesy
27-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Two of my fav breeds of dogs are "The Old English Sheep Dog" and the Great Dane. I like the bir breed of dogs but afraid my house just isn`t big enough for either of them.
I haven`t seen either of them about for a good few years:( .

yola
27-01-2009, 02:06 PM
My friend's older sister used to have a large, blue great Dane dog. I remember when I was about 8 or 9 that this dog used to wander around the house in a pair of 'big' pants . . . this was because the dog was 'on heat'. I had not a clue what this meant at the time, but still don't get why the pants had to be worn :?

Leesy
27-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Not sure myself why the pants had to be worn :? ,but I once had to put my then little daughters swimming costume on Zara one of my dogs as when we got Zimba as a little puppy, she very kindly started producing milk for him and it was the only way we could stop him suckling without splitting them up, she did look rather funny LOL:lol: .

farthing
27-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm guessing the great dane was a heavy bleeder. Some dogs, when in season can make quite a mess, another good reason to get them speyed.

dandysmom
27-01-2009, 05:50 PM
As most of you know, I'm not a dog person, but thought I'd add a few breeds I've seen here that aren't very common: Shar Pei, Bedlington Terrier (they look like sheep!!), Papillon and Airedale.

smudgley
27-01-2009, 09:25 PM
The pants would be for the discharge.
A big dog with a heavy season can be quite messy.
Dog pants are actually quite common.

angieh
27-01-2009, 09:44 PM
I think I am influenced by nice dogs I have known in the past - I knew a lovely Airedale. He was called Chester. And a wonderfully kind rough coated lurcher called Fudge.

calismum
27-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Love lurchers!!! There is one stays near a friend a light rough coated brindle - he is called George and it so suits him.

Tina
28-01-2009, 12:01 AM
I think my faves are based on past pets......black labradors, collies (the Lassie type, not border collie), and bouviers (sp?). We had all 3 when I was growing up and they were all wonderful dogs!

random
28-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Aside from at shows (where you see most breeds) never ever seen a Chinese Crested anywhere aside from at a show. And I love those wee dogs, one for when i'm a pensioner.

Would probably be easier to say what you DO see, round here especially, Staffies, Greys, Whippets, Lurchers, a couple of Rotties, quite a few Border Collies and Labs, Goldens, some Springers, crosses and mongrels, a few Dalmations, Yorkies, Jack Russels, a couple of Boxers, GSDs, Cavs, DDB.

If you go to a really nice park or walkway you will see a few less common breeds I guess now and then. A lot of people I have spoken to do tend to drive a few miles to a park, beach or woodland walk and there's only really us commoners who are seen to be walking their dogs everyday in the same neighbourhood in which they live! :lol: :roll: I have only ever seen 2 other Weimaraners round here (aside from at shows). I know someone up the road has Pei's too as they are always in the window looking out, only seen her out with them a couple of times. Guess you see more in the summer too.

smudgley
28-01-2009, 10:50 AM
My favourite breed without doubt is the rottweiler. Love them, love them, love them.

There are lots of other breeds, that I like (I like all dogs I guess!) but for different reasons. Some dogs are better suited to different styles of life.

I work with Labradors & GSDs and like both. I have a FCR & they are a nice breed too.(but a bit scatty!)

I like tibetan spaniels and CKCSs as family pets.