PDA

View Full Version : Ordered your seeds yet?

dandysmom
23-01-2009, 10:57 PM
I've been going thru the heap of gardening catalogues that have been coming; like to get my order in early in case some things are in short supply. I'm sort of toying with the idea of going all organic/heirloom this year instead of same-old-same-old. there are some really interesting tomatoes and beans in one catalogue. Too many choices, too little space!

calismum
23-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm going thru' them just now. Am having to be quite restrained as I want them all!!!

Going to try some tomatoes in one of these portable plastic covered greenhouse things.

I have some poopy seeds. When we were in skye earlier this year I gathered some seed heads and hung them to dry. Hope they take as they were a lovely mauve and pink.

What seeds are you thinking of DM?

dandysmom
23-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Vegetables. With a tiny City back yard space is very limited; fortunately the yard is South facing. I'm planting tomatoes, shelling beans, Genoa basil and hot peppers. Plus onions, but don't do those from seed. And the catnip reseeds itself; I always have too much and have to pull out the volunteers! Herbs are grown in pots, not in the tiny vegetable plot..need the room for the other stuff.

Moli
23-01-2009, 11:40 PM
I fancy something different this year, not sure what though, got loads of seed catalogues in too..

angieh
23-01-2009, 11:41 PM
I have been thinking about getting a couple of raised beds that I can put in the only place that really gets full sun for most of the day and grow salad stuff and herbs.

After 2 really disappointing years for growing tomatoes in the greenhouse, I think I might put a few plants outside too.

I am also going through the catalogues, and falling in love with all sorts of pretty looking flowers, but I must stick with the veg as I don't have much room left for flowers. I plan to do a big rationalisation of my tubs and pots in order to cut down on watering.

dandysmom
23-01-2009, 11:49 PM
I fancy something different this year, not sure what though, got loads of seed catalogues in too..

I've been doing Marmande tomatoes for years; added Ailsa Craig last year but not too impressed; shelling beans have been Borlotto; think I'm ready for a change this year too. But I don't think you can improve on Genoa basil...that will stay!

calismum
23-01-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm going to try potatoes in strong plastic bags. Seen the idea in a mag and thought |I'd give it a go. I'd quite like to do some herb pots too.

dandysmom
23-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Oh, if I only had enough room for potatoes...little new fingerling with just a drizzle of butter!! Oregano and thyme do beautifully for me in pots, CM.

Mags
24-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Oh, if I only had enough room for potatoes...little new fingerling with just a drizzle of butter!! Oregano and thyme do beautifully for me in pots, CM.
Eileen, why don't you get a huge bucket and grow some in there......DM suggested it a few years ago.......

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=14593 - post 4

It would be nice for you to have your own home grown potatoes, wouldn't it?:D

calismum
24-01-2009, 12:23 AM
that's the idea I have. 4 tatties in a bag and earth them up as they grow.

I'm sure a bucket would be just the same idea.

dandysmom
24-01-2009, 03:01 AM
Eileen, why don't you get a huge bucket and grow some in there......DM suggested it a few years ago.......

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=14593 - post 4

It would be nice for you to have your own home grown potatoes, wouldn't it?:D

I remember that post, Mags; the problem is getting enough bags of potting soil home to fill the bucket. For some unknown reason, potting soil from the Safeway isn't available for online ordering with my order. And a bit difficult lugging bags home on the bus...:(:(

Mags
24-01-2009, 01:33 PM
I remember that post, Mags; the problem is getting enough bags of potting soil home to fill the bucket. For some unknown reason, potting soil from the Safeway isn't available for online ordering with my order. And a bit difficult lugging bags home on the bus...:(:(
That's a shame Eileen.....is there no other outlet that would deliver for you?:(

dinahsmum
24-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Eileen - you're going to have to prevail upon the good nature of a car-owning friend to get yourself some compost.

I've bought my potatoes and have set the very earlies to chit. Will plant them in a container in the polytunnel within the next couple of weeks. For my main potato crop (which will be earlies - I don't think it's worth clogging the plot with main crop, besides which, the main crop have caught blight for the last 2 years, what with the global warming and excessive rain) I have got 'International Kidney' which is the generic name for what we find in the shops as Jersey Royals, and which are, indeed, the nobility of spuds!

I've also got a new garlic to try, as well as some saved from last year, and my shallot and onion sets.

The seed catalogues are sooo alluring!

Oh, I've also got a raised bed (in kit form) on order. Basically 4 rot-treated planks with corner supports, but hi-tech enough for the non DIY folks like me. I'm intending to get one or two of these each year, to fill the half of my half-allotment which grows the 'plant new every year' stuff, to minimise digging and generally make life easier.

I'm just back from the allotment - the place was buzzing. The weather is lovely and an allotmenteers mind turns to thoughts of warm soil! :)

angieh
24-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Would you mind saying where you ordered your raised bed kits from DM? I am getting confused with the number of different ones currently being sold! Quite like the idea of ones that have hoops that can be added for fleece/netting etc.

dinahsmum
24-01-2009, 03:57 PM
It's from Marshall's angie. I was ordering my French style shallots so i thought I'd just get it from them.
I'm not sure if it was the cheapest or whatever but it looked reasonable. They have 4' square or 4 x 8'. I've ordered the bigger one. I looked at the recycled plastic but decided to stick with good ole wood.

I think www.gardening-naturally.co.uk might be the site you need for hoops/fleece/clips/netting but I don't know if they have raised beds with accessories.

angieh
24-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks DM - I will check that out!

calismum
01-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Been to Garden Centre this pm and bought loads of flower seeds.

Sweet Peas, Poppies, Nigella, Larkspur, Nasturtium, Cornflower, Sweet William, Pheasants Eye and Black eyed Susan.

Veg seeds coming thru' post but found a packet of seeds called 'floral feast' which is a variety of edible flowers. Something new to try.