PDA

View Full Version : My sheep

calismum
23-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Thought I'd share some pics of my sheep. I have my own v small 'flock'. OH sometimes gives me a ewe from the main flock. But as I refuse to sell any of them I now have around 18. These are 4 of the 6 female lambs my ewes had last year so they are around 9 months old. They have been out on the high hill since weaning and are wild!!!!
This is Bean
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd360/calismum/P1170673.jpg
Pansy and Merang
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd360/calismum/P1170676.jpg
Maddy
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd360/calismum/P1170682.jpg

angieh
23-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Bet they are glad of their woolly coats! Are they meat and/or wool? Sorry, I don't know which breed they are - Blackface/Swaledale????

Mags
23-01-2009, 04:43 PM
They're lovely CM....... nice warm woolly coats on them too:D

Moli
23-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Good to see sheep in such lovely clean condition...Do you use the wool????

calismum
23-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Bet they are glad of their woolly coats! Are they meat and/or wool? Sorry, I don't know which breed they are - Blackface/Swaledale????

These are Scottish Blackface. Maddy is a South type the rest are North or Perth type. The farm is mainly run as commercial meat and wool but we do also run a small flock of pedigree Lleyns. We also have a few Texels to use as crosses.

Good to see sheep in such lovely clean condition...Do you use the wool????

We sell most of the wool. I have kept a couple of fleeces with an idea of learning to spin it using a ??hand spindle?? Whether I'll get the time is another issue, but it is on my 'want to do at some time' list.

They do look quite clean, the hill is well drained with quite a bit of heather so they don't tend to get too dirty.

Glad you liked them.

kirsty01
23-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Love the name Bean!!! They are very cute! They look like they want to eat the camera though - must be the wild streak in them!! LOL!

angieh
23-01-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't think I really should ask what the difference between a South type and a North or Perth type is ..... but I am always curious!? The sheep look the same to me apart from, perhaps, a slightly different angle to their horns!

calismum
23-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Love the name Bean!!! They are very cute! They look like they want to eat the camera though - must be the wild streak in them!! LOL!

I call them names to remind me of who their parents are so

Bean = BeBe and Angus
Marang = Mary and Angus
Pansy = PeggySue and Angus

Maddy is my only Southie so I'll remember her.

angieh
23-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Angus has been a busy boy!

calismum
23-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't think I really should ask what the difference between a South type and a North or Perth type is ..... but I am always curious!? The sheep look the same to me apart from, perhaps, a slightly different angle to their horns!

South type is smaller and shorter with a less dense and shorter fleece.

The Northies are our main B/F flock and are much hardier, longer body and fleece which is long and very thick.

The horns don't differ in the breed types just in the individuals. -and they certainly don't differ when they run past you and catch the back of your calf with the sharp ends:lol: :lol: :lol:

Elaine
23-01-2009, 05:32 PM
They are lovely:D I like sheep but as with cows, they hate me sadly:(

calismum
Angus has been a busy boy!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

angieh
Thanks and ouch!!

calismum
23-01-2009, 05:33 PM
They are lovely:D I like sheep but as with cows, they hate me sadly:(

:cry: ...................

Elaine
23-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Many people think it very funny that these animals hate me, dont you Pat?

I was once stuck in a ditch for over an hour coz a ram decided to pick on me in Benbecula:shock:

calismum
23-01-2009, 05:41 PM

I was once stuck in a ditch for over an hour coz a ram decided to pick on me in Benbecula:shock:

Now whilst the picture in my mind (woman in ditch being glowered over by irate ram) would raise a smile. I too have been on the recieving end of a ram who took exception to my not being quick enough with his feed. Not funny.

What do you think you did in a past life to warrant every cow and sheep to feel this way?!!

Moli
23-01-2009, 05:59 PM

:shock:Who me?????I really do sympathise with you Elaine, some real vicious cows and sheep out there;)

Elaine
23-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Now whilst the picture in my mind (woman in ditch being glowered over by irate ram) would raise a smile. I too have been on the recieving end of a ram who took exception to my not being quick enough with his feed. Not funny.

What do you think you did in a past life to warrant every cow and sheep to feel this way?!!

I think it's because they know that i am John Pirie the Butchers daughter.

:shock:Who me?????I really do sympathise with you Elaine, some real vicious cows and sheep out there;)

Sure you do, thats why you want to get pictures of me being chased by them:lol:

Moli
23-01-2009, 06:34 PM
I think it's because they know that i am John Pirie the Butchers daughter.

Sure you do, thats why you want to get pictures of me being chased by them:lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

calismum
23-01-2009, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=Elaine;534471]I think it's because they know that i am John Pirie the Butchers daughter.QUOTE]

Ooooh - you could be right:lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
23-01-2009, 10:27 PM
CM, they're lovely...such interesting faces and all that wool! I'm a city girl and completely clueless about sheep; are the little lambs born with black faces and those spindly little black legs also? I thought rams had horns, not the ewes....see, really am ignorant..:oops:

calismum
23-01-2009, 10:36 PM
CM, they're lovely...such interesting faces and all that wool! I'm a city girl and completely clueless about sheep; are the little lambs born with black faces also? I thought rams had horns, not the ewes....see, really am ignorant..:oops:

Blackface lambs are born with more or less all their markings. They sometimes will develop some black spots on their fleece but that is not desirable. IMO these lambs are the cutest of all the breeds.

Our Lleyns and texels are all white and have no horns at all.

In B/F both the males and females are horned, even the lambs are born with tiny little ones.

There are some breeds where the male is horned but females are not eg South Country Cheviot or Black Welsh Mountain.

I'll post some pics of our lambs when they are born. Texels end Feb. B/F and Lleyn April.;)

dandysmom
23-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks! Had no idea there were so many breeds of sheep. I love the things we can learn here! And lamb pics would be fab!

farthing
24-01-2009, 12:22 AM
They are lovely, we have 10 sheep but they are all various breeds. sally is our herdwick and she is fantastic, getting on a bit now as she is 10 with no front teeth, but very wise!

Elaine, we are going to have to sort this out- we have sheep and horses so we will have to put it to the test whether they don't like you. How do you get on with goats!
Don't worry folks I will have the camera ready.:lol:

dandysmom
24-01-2009, 12:52 AM
LOl, Farthing, love the idea! If goats and horses take an instant dislike to Elaine then it must be her being a butchers daughter! Or, maybe, phernomes?

Natalie
24-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Fantastic idea farthing :-D

Lovely pics of sheep. I have always found them interesting and full of character but far too scared to give them a cuddle lol. X

Elaine
24-01-2009, 09:43 AM
They are lovely, we have 10 sheep but they are all various breeds. sally is our herdwick and she is fantastic, getting on a bit now as she is 10 with no front teeth, but very wise!

Elaine, we are going to have to sort this out- we have sheep and horses so we will have to put it to the test whether they don't like you. How do you get on with goats!
Don't worry folks I will have the camera ready.:lol:

Horses dont chase me like they want to kill me but they know I am respectfully wary of them;) . Not sure about goats as there has always been a fence between me and any goat I have met. Much to Erin and Diddydawns hilarity, I was attacked by a donkey in Wales.
I am ignoring the camera bit:lol:

dandysmom
24-01-2009, 05:44 PM
It MUST be pheromones, then!

random
24-01-2009, 09:59 PM
What beautiful sheep. x

Elaine
24-01-2009, 10:35 PM
It MUST be pheromones, then!
:shock::shock: :shock: :shock:

Lorna