PDA

View Full Version : Russian hamsters are disgusting!

Phoenix
22-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Some of the russian hamsters at college have had babies, and some of the babies decided to eat one of their siblings :shock: :cat36 :smt078 :smt102

Elaine
22-01-2009, 08:40 PM
It happens, nature of the beast. Maybe that particular sibling was sick or weak.

Phoenix
22-01-2009, 08:43 PM
It happens, nature of the beast. Maybe that particular sibling was sick or weak.

We don't know, we got it out as soon as we could today, don't know how long it's been dead or anything! All we know is it's siblings had nearly eaten it all! :shock:

Elaine
22-01-2009, 08:47 PM
You would never know but they do, it's nature. Many animals do the same thing, survival of the fittest. Doesnt make them disgusting, it's the difference between being human and being animal. Animals act on instinct where as most humans act on rational thought.

Phoenix
22-01-2009, 08:51 PM
You would never know but they do, it's nature. Many animals do the same thing, survival of the fittest. Doesnt make them disgusting, it's the difference between being human and being animal. Animals act on instinct where as most humans act on rational thought.

I know about survival of the fittest, but when they are well fed, they shouldn't need to eat each other! :shock: None of the other rodents at college eat each other, they may kill each other but they don't eat each other!

Elaine
22-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Survival of the fittest doesnt just mean that they should have enough to eat so as not to turn on each other, as i said before, the wee mite could have been sick or weak or there may be an issue with over crowding, as they are in an enclosed environment.

random
22-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Are they Roborovski's? They tend to eat each other. Sadly they are quite often sold in pairs or multiples and often claimed to be social animals but I have heard of quite a few cases where they have eaten each other, it's very common.

dandysmom
22-01-2009, 10:41 PM
RCR, that's probably an instinct that goes back to their origins in the wild. If one died, they wouldn't want the scent of decomposition to attract a scavenger/predator to the nest. Better to eat it. Sounds harsh, I know, but that's nature sometimes.

Leesy
23-01-2009, 12:41 AM
RCR, that's probably an instinct that goes back to their origins in the wild. If one died, they wouldn't want the scent of decomposition to attract a scavenger/predator to the nest. Better to eat it. Sounds harsh, I know, but that's nature sometimes.

Yep I agree with dandysmom if any die in the wild they do unfortunatly either eat them so there is no smell or they throw them out away from the nests. Not nice but very true.:cat36

yola
23-01-2009, 10:00 AM
I don't think it's just Russian Hamsters that do this - ordinary golden hamster parents have been know to do this too. Whilst it's not a very nice thing to witness I wouldn't ncessarilly call it disgusting :(

Elaine
23-01-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't think it's just Russian Hamsters that do this - ordinary golden hamster parents have been know to do this too. Whilst it's not a very nice thing to witness I wouldn't ncessarilly call it disgusting :(

Yup, syrians do it too and many other animals also.

angieh
23-01-2009, 05:28 PM
pigs, even ............

Elaine
23-01-2009, 07:50 PM
http://www.hamsoc.org.uk/husbandry.php#cannibals