PDA

View Full Version : Catsey calendar

dandysmom
20-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Wouldn't these make a great calendar? Be hard to pick even twelve best though.....

mattde
20-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Wouldn't these make a great calendar? Be hard to pick even twelve best though.....

Thats a great idea dandysmom. Maybe we should find out about getting a Catsey calendar made up of the top 12 images.
I'm sure some of the online printing website allow you to do this, people can purchase directly from the site. I could help make the calendar online if needed.
:D

pinklizzy
20-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Thats a great idea dandysmom. Maybe we should find out about getting a Catsey calendar made up of the top 12 images.
I'm sure some of the online printing website allow you to do this, people can purchase directly from the site. I could help make the calendar online if needed.
:D
That'd be great! Can we do it? :-D

mattde
20-01-2009, 10:57 PM
That'd be great! Can we do it? :-D

I think this site allows us to do it.

http://www.lulu.com/uk/products/calendars/?cid=uk_product_portal

Once the comp is over I don't mind trying to set it up.

Leesy
20-01-2009, 11:08 PM
I think the calendar is a fab idea, better to have one of our gorgeous little kittys rather than buying one from the shop.:D

dandysmom
20-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I'll run this by Az and see if it's OK; we could do a poll and see how many people would like to order one. Matt, thanks for offering to coordinate this!!

dandysmom
20-01-2009, 11:46 PM
I have PMd Az and will let you know .........

mattde
21-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I'll run this by Az and see if it's OK; we could do a poll and see how many people would like to order one. Matt, thanks for offering to coordinate this!!

Looks like the calendar will cost £8.25 plus delivery.

calismum
21-01-2009, 10:00 AM
What a great idea - mattde & DM - thanks for looking into this.

angieh
21-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Wonderful - I'll have one!

Leesy
21-01-2009, 11:38 AM
You can definatley put me down for one as well.:D

PoshPuss
21-01-2009, 11:40 AM
where do I sign ? :-D

dandysmom
22-01-2009, 12:50 AM
So ...after the comp is over and the votes in, do we agree that the 12 highest scoring will go on a calendar....subject to approval by Az? I definitely will order one, that seems a reasonable price to me. So, keep the entries coming!

Tina
22-01-2009, 01:45 AM
A calendar sounds like a brilliant idea! I'll definately buy one!!

For a 2010 calendar, what about the winners of each competition.....they're about once a month anyway aren't they?

dandysmom
22-01-2009, 03:32 AM
Brilliant idea, Tina! Sounds good to me.

Tina
22-01-2009, 04:03 AM
Brilliant idea, Tina! Sounds good to me.

And then each month's picture has some sort of theme, and it's an extra something special for the comp winners to be really pleased about! :D

Natalie
22-01-2009, 04:36 AM
Count me in too :-)

angieh
22-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Can I just say that the issue of a calendar has been suggested before and Yola broached the issue of whether our images are high resolution or not.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=29876&highlight=calendar

I think it is a lovely idea if we can be sure our lovely pictures are good enough for printing.

dandysmom
22-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Yola, Matt, can you comment on this? I re-read Yola's info on the resolution, and still don't understand how to check it . If Leia should be among the contenders, could I enlarge the pic to the larger size and forward it to someone who could tell?

mattde
22-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Yola, Matt, can you comment on this? I re-read Yola's info on the resolution, and still don't understand how to check it . If Leia should be among the contenders, could I enlarge the pic to the larger size and forward it to someone who could tell?

I'm sure if all the photos have been taken with a 3 mega pixel camera and above it wont be a problem. I have managed to print a large poster from a 3mp camera before.
The calendar image would be 1/2 A4 or just slightly bigger.

I wouldn't mind people emailing me the full sizes image directly and I can check them before we send of to print.
good chance that the image will need a slight crop and sharpen before printing anyway.
:)

mattde
22-01-2009, 06:15 PM
* everyone remember to set cameras to fine quality and biggest mega pixie size *

angieh
22-01-2009, 06:15 PM
That's splendid Matt, if you're happy to do that. Thanks a lot. OOh, I'm getting excited now - will Merlin make the calendar or not? (I don't think I'll tell him.)

mattde
22-01-2009, 06:23 PM
If Leia should be among the contenders, could I enlarge the pic to the larger size and forward it to someone who could tell?

what I would do is.

Take photos at best quality camera setting.
Then copy photos of camera
Then when you want to get an image ready to post online resize it to a friendly posting size and "save the image as" for example catpicwebready.jpg . this will then create a copy of the original photo ready for web use.
You will then know you have the original stored away in case one day you want to print at full size.

hope some of that makes sense :-)

mattde
22-01-2009, 06:24 PM
That's splendid Matt, if you're happy to do that. Thanks a lot. OOh, I'm getting excited now - will Merlin make the calendar or not? (I don't think I'll tell him.)

LOL dont tell him. Thats fine happy to help.

dandysmom
22-01-2009, 09:04 PM
what I would do is.

Take photos at best quality camera setting.
Then copy photos of camera
Then when you want to get an image ready to post online resize it to a friendly posting size and "save the image as" for example catpicwebready.jpg . this will then create a copy of the original photo ready for web use.
You will then know you have the original stored away in case one day you want to print at full size.

hope some of that makes sense :-)

Sorry if I wasn't clear, Matt. I meant the pic I've already taken, the one that's in the comp. I have no idea what setting it was taken at...whatever comes pre-set on a Nikon L 2 Coolpix I assume. I meant, can someone tell what it is if I send it to them? It's in Photobucket as well as here on the Forum. Sorry to be so dense ......

Edited: just looked at the camera and it says 6.0 megapixels..... is that OK?

mattde
23-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear, Matt. I meant the pic I've already taken, the one that's in the comp. I have no idea what setting it was taken at...whatever comes pre-set on a Nikon L 2 Coolpix I assume. I meant, can someone tell what it is if I send it to them? It's in Photobucket as well as here on the Forum. Sorry to be so dense ......

Edited: just looked at the camera and it says 6.0 megapixels..... is that OK?

Should be fine , send over the original via email and i'll check it. PM me and I'll send over my address. :-)

dandysmom
23-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks!! I've PMd

angieh
23-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Eileen - have you had a response from Az yet?

dandysmom
23-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Eileen - have you had a response from Az yet?

No. :( ........

Az
24-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi Guys, sorry I'm late getting to this thread.

You guys can go ahead with this if you like :) sorry I haven't got time to get involved or provide any graphical assistance/artwork myself.

When it comes to buying them, perhaps you could do it via a member who you all feel comfortable sending the money too - and then they can place the order with the printing company?

Good luck!

dandysmom
24-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Thank you, Az!!!!!!!!!!!!

angieh
24-01-2009, 05:29 PM
We just need to await the votes in the Competition then - it's a bit of a shame that whichever photo is picked for January (and maybe February) won't have any display time.

mattde
24-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi Guys, sorry I'm late getting to this thread.

You guys can go ahead with this if you like :) sorry I haven't got time to get involved or provide any graphical assistance/artwork myself.

When it comes to buying them, perhaps you could do it via a member who you all feel comfortable sending the money too - and then they can place the order with the printing company?

Good luck!

When it comes to buying them forum members will buy their own copy directly from a trusted online site, think its safer that way.
No problems with delivery and time spent collecting money.
:)

dandysmom
24-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree, best way to go, Matt. Now all we have to do is hope our cat will be one that makes the cut!

mattde
24-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Maybe we should have the top 10 images from this comp goes towards a 2009 calendar. then next month we can have winning image turned into a cup . month after that could be winning photo mouse mate and so on. At the end of the year we could then do a photo book with the last 12 winning photos with a description of the cat and photo.

dandysmom
24-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Interesting suggestions, but I personally would prefer a regular 12 month 2009 calendar. What do the rest of us think?

mattde
26-01-2009, 05:27 PM
What are we going to do 2009 calendar with top 10 photos, as we have already done most of Jan and feb will be half over by the time we get the calendar delivered.

Or 2010 calendar with top 12 images.

I also still like the idea of a photo book for the whole years worth of winners , 24 pages with 12 photos and 12 pages of txt about the cat and photo. This would be put together in Jan 2010.

angieh
26-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I would opt for the top 10 photos for 2009 - can't possibly wait another whole year! Or what about running the calendar for 12 months from March 2009 to end of Feb 2010. A bit quirky but would allow time to organise what we want to do next year .......

I think the photobook is a nice idea, but personally would prefer a calendar as I am always referring to the one in my office by my PC.

Perhaps we need to set up another poll?

dandysmom
26-01-2009, 05:54 PM
I'd personally prefer a 12 month calendar for 2009; I plan on keeping it anyway, so won't really matter that 2 months have passed. But if that's a no-go, like Angie's suggestion of March thru Feb '10. Perhaps a poll would be a good idea after a winner is chosen.

mattde
26-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I want the calendar as well as the photobook at the end of the year.

We might be able to get the calendar starting from March to Feb, I will have a look.

lets get another poll started.