PDA

View Full Version : Misty's results.

farthing
21-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Misty, our 20 year old cat was in for x-rays and an ECG as she has been a bit off her food and lethargic, basically lying again the radiator.
She has already had blood tests, and they were pretty good for her age, and she had a dental last year.
Well, all the tests came back clear, no heart or lung problems, no sign of tumours, she does have signs of spondolytis in her spine and arthritis in her sternum, so this may be why she is hugging the radiator over the winter.
She is mainly eating white fish, which I have microwaved and the vet says this should be OK for her, she doesn't like tuna. I am a bit worried about whether she will get all the nutrition she needs, does anybody know of any thing I can add or will this diet be enough, I am thinking of adding cod liver oil as I can't give her metacam for the arthritis because she has a delicate tum.

calismum
21-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Cod liver oil good supplement. Don't know much about other things cats need but what about one of the omega oils as they seem to have more.

Great that the results came back clear tho' - at least there are no other problems. She is just an elderly lady with elderly lady problems.

Tink
21-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Cod liver oil is a very good supplement for cats.
The only other thing I can think of is taurine. I'm not sure how much of that is in the fish.
Then again, if your vet says that's fine, then maybe it is?
Happy the results came back well for a kitty of her age :-)

angieh
21-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm sure Elaine would recommend Pet Tinnic. Unfortunately not available in this country.

Liz
21-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Glad the results are good and that its just an old lady thing

The tinnic is good I may have a bottle in the cupboard - thankyou Elaine

I will have a look and post later

dandysmom
21-01-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm sure Elaine would recommend Pet Tinnic. Unfortunately not available in this country.

Farthing, if you and your vet think this would be good, it's available here in the States. I could order it for you and send it on if you like.

http://medi-vetrx.com/PetTinic-4-oz/M/B00076HUAA.htm

farthing
24-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Glad the results are good and that its just an old lady thing

The tinnic is good I may have a bottle in the cupboard - thankyou Elaine

I will have a look and post later

Thanks Liz, that would be really good to know what it contains etc.

How did Jester get on at the vet?

farthing
24-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Farthing, if you and your vet think this would be good, it's available here in the States. I could order it for you and send it on if you like.

http://medi-vetrx.com/PetTinic-4-oz/M/B00076HUAA.htm

That is so knid of you, to offer to do this for a complete stranger, really :D . I will talk to the vet and see what they say, but I guess it won't do any harm if it is a vitamin suppliment.
Thank you so much, an I will get back to you.

Elaine
24-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Pet Tinic is mainly a B-vit and trace iron supplement. I cannt remember what else is in it.
Have recently got back in touch with a woman who helped me alot with Winston, she often has a supply that she keeps for UK people so that they can get some quickly while waiting for their order from USA.
If you want I can contact her and see if she has any.

dandysmom
24-01-2009, 11:28 PM
That is so knid of you, to offer to do this for a complete stranger, really :D . I will talk to the vet and see what they say, but I guess it won't do any harm if it is a vitamin suppliment.
Thank you so much, an I will get back to you.

Farthing, true I wouldn't know you if you knocked on my door tomorrow, but I think of you as a fellow cat lover and a cyberfriend; would be more than glad to help if you can't locate it in the UK...not a problem!

Besides, I had a Misty too...she didn't make 20, just 19 1/2, and I still miss her!

Elaine
24-01-2009, 11:38 PM
http://www.entirelypets.com/pet1ozbypfiz.html

http://www.pfizerah.com/PAHimages/compliance_pdfs/US_EN_PN_compliance.pdf

Elaine
25-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Having re-read this thread through, I'd have to agree with Tink about the Taurine, I wouldnt have thought that there would be much if at all in cooked white fish. Maybe a taurine supplement would be a better idea.
http://www.provet.co.uk/Nutrition/protaur.htm

farthing
26-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Had a quick chat with one vet today, and he thinks fish should have enough taurine in it, I then did a quick look in google and have discovered cats need, specifically, taurine, arachidonic acid, vit B12 and vit A, all of which are in fish, but I don't know if they contain enough.
Interestingly, it also said that it wasn't good to give cod liver oil and liver as, if fed to excess, the vit A can cause fusion of the neck bones.
So, I guess I need to get more time to quiz the vets and do a bit more research.
I did read somewhere that turkey and salmon are thought to be the closest meat to a cat's natural diet- what do you think.
I'm looking for ideas, I told the vet that I want Misty to reach 30, and it is his responsibility- no pressure on him then.:D