PDA

View Full Version : Calici Virus ...

kirsty01
20-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Tinky has Calici. :( She was diagnosed with it in December. She has been on a month's worth of Interferon treatment (Virbagen Omega 10) it's a fairly new treatment of SC injections. She has had another oral swab recently which is in the process of being sent to the lab. I'm hoping it comes back as negative but looking at the state of her mouth I'm not hopeful!
Has anyone been through this with their cat? Or is there anyone that knows of an effective 'cure'? Im am thinking of taking her to see a Homeopathy Vet as a lot of searches on google are all positive about this alternative treatment. Im am doing everything else for her in regards to her oral health. Any other advise or experiences??

smudgley
20-01-2009, 10:51 PM
:( I don't think there is a cure for Calici as such :(
I think the sympoms should be treated as / when but otherwise, as far as I know there's not much that can be done except abs if nec / dental if nec. Sorry I know this is not what you want to hear.
Do you have other cats?
I've just been involved with the rescue of 15 persians - all with calici. :(

kirsty01
20-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Hey yeah I thought as much to be honest, I read that in time it can she may just become a 'latent' carrier as in she will still have the virus but just not show any symptoms. Here's hoping.
Im going to go ahead with the Homeopathy it can only help i guess. Want to try everything without causing her stress. She is so happy in herself - eating, playing, drinking. Just does not like her mouth being touched. She doesn't show any other signs apart from gingivitus, hyperplasia and she now has a lesion above her bottom tooth :-(
Gosh, you have your work cut out taking on 15 with Calici! What signs are they showing? Is it definately been confirmed as Calici, have they had the oral swab?

smudgley
20-01-2009, 11:07 PM
We didn't initially set out to take on the 15, but kind of got involved then it all snowballed and we got deeper and deeper involved with them. Can't talk about it too much on here for legal reasons ;) however yes they were all confirmed calici.

go for the homeopathy, I have done some excellent research / trials with homeopathy on dogs with great results.

kirsty01
20-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Hope it all goes ok with them. I'm hoping I can relieve Tinky's symptoms too. Good luck! ;-)

Leesy
23-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Hope Tinky feels better soon:) , not wanting to sound daft:oops: but what exactly is Calici I have not heard of that before.

smudgley
23-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Hope Tinky feels better soon:) , not wanting to sound daft:oops: but what exactly is Calici I have not heard of that before.

It's a virus.
Put feline calici virus into Google ;)

PS it's pronounce kal-ee-chee

kirsty01
23-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Its an upper respiratory infection. There are many strains of FCV lucliky Tinky has it quite mildly as it's only affecting her mouth but it can also cause nasal and ocular discharge, pneumonia and mouth ulcers. Her oral swab came back from the lab today and it's now NEGATIVE!! So fingers crossed. Although I know that FCV is quite hard to isolate so I am not getting my hopes up too much until I swab her again in a month. If that comes back clear then I need to just treat her for gingivitus and oral inflammation.

Leesy
23-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Thats great news for Tinky,:D I will keep my fingers crossed that her next swab comes back negative as well, thanks for letting us know what it is, and keep us informed of her next result:) .

kirsty01
23-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I know I was so happy whent he results came into work, one of the vets ran them straight to me I was like YAY! In the mean time I'm looking into Homeopathy or Acupuncture to treat her mouth! Fingers crossed! She's been play fighting with Mowgli since I got back from work running up and down the stairs like loonatics so she can't be too bothered!

calismum
23-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Its an upper respiratory infection. There are many strains of FCV lucliky Tinky has it quite mildly as it's only affecting her mouth but it can also cause nasal and ocular discharge, pneumonia and mouth ulcers. Her oral swab came back from the lab today and it's now NEGATIVE!! So fingers crossed. Although I know that FCV is quite hard to isolate so I am not getting my hopes up too much until I swab her again in a month. If that comes back clear then I need to just treat her for gingivitus and oral inflammation.

Great news, fingers crossed that it remains that way.

Leesy
23-01-2009, 05:15 PM
They just don`t know how stressed and worried we get about them do they.

Actually they probably do and find it quite amusingLOL:lol:

kirsty01
23-01-2009, 05:18 PM
If only she knew how much she would cost me - luckily Im insured!!!! She might be more affectionate then!! LOL!
Its weird cause Im obviously self conciously thinking about it all the time. I drempt last night that her results came in today and it was clear - so weird!!!
She;s worth the worry though!! Bless her! Just glad Mowgli is well (touch wood!) xx