PDA

View Full Version : Indoor cats

janey83
18-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Hey, was just wondering if keeping a cat indoors for its whole life is ok? (I know its ok but will it not drive them mad!)

I'm saying this because, my boyfriends cat Leo is going to be an indoor cat. He lives on a main road, even though its a 30 speed limit, idiots do go ALOT faster on it.

I know how much my cat Tigger use to love the out doors especially in Summer, we'd be sat in the garden and Tigger would come and join us, rolling about and just watchin the world with the heat of the sun on him, he love it. Leo will be missing out on that.
I sort of feel kinda guilty I suppose or am I just worrying!?

Mags
18-01-2009, 04:19 PM
If your BF lives on a main road I think he's very wise, Jane. Could he not harness train him while he's young and then take him out in the garden? When trained you could always fix an extended lead onto the washing line which would give him a fair amount space for moving around..

pinklizzy
18-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Imogen is an indoor cat, and although I feel guilty at times that she can't enjoy being outdoors, we also live next to a very busy road and I daren't let her out.
Do you have a garden, maybe you could 'catproof' it so that Leo can have some access to the outside?
Eventually we hope to be able to do this but at the moment we've been taking Imogen outside using a harness. If we have any nice weather this summer :roll: we can hopefully take her outside with us so she can enjoy the sunshine!
Otherwise she has lots of toys and a scratching post to climb and we play with her a lot which keeps her stimulated and busy.

dandysmom
18-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Cats can live long and happy lives indoors, especially if you keep them stimulated with toys, games and lots of personal attention. I agree that harness training is an excellent idea, and they do very much enjoy their outside trips. I live on a busy road, so mine were harness trained.

dumbblondie
18-01-2009, 06:37 PM
both of my cats are indoor cats they seem ok about it the reasons are that 1 is a siamese & i'm worried some 1 might be tempted to keep him then there are 3 males cats next door which started on my last 2 cats & last but not least i have a wood at the back of my house & it's been known that foxes come in to the gardens looking for food but with lots of people in the house willing to give them attention & a few dogs they love playing with & of course cat toy they seem quite content inside

Tina
18-01-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm in full agreement with keeping the cat indoors if living on a busy-ish road, much safer! And like Mags & DM said, a harness and leash is a very good idea, I would highly recommend it!! Both of our cats are trained to a harness and NEVER go out without it on! Our oldest cat, Miw aged 4 and 1/2 has used the harness since she was 12 weeks and won't even attempt to go out unless it's on, and we can even take her for walks in the countryside......as long as we don't meet any other "humans" on the trip, then she freaks!

Elaine
18-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Winston was an indoor cat for 21 years and he absolutely fine with it. I used to try to encourage him to come out into the back garden with me but he really didnt like it and would just run back upstairs.

dandysmom
18-01-2009, 11:14 PM
A friend's cat, a blue Persian who'd lived in a flat for all of her 6 years, was terrified when her people bought a house and took her out in the enclosed garden! She would slink back almost on her tummy as fast as she could to the door and beg to go in. Never adjusted to outdoors. My Leia is scared of outdoors also; tried the harness bit and she panicked ..... I wish she would as it's so interesting outdoors, but not going to force her to do something she obviously doesn't want to do.

Tink
19-01-2009, 04:41 AM
Mine are all indoors but they get to go out when the weather is nice on a leash.
There is a book about keeping the indoor cat's sanity..the title escapes me though..

laragreg
19-01-2009, 12:33 PM
I have an indoor and an outdoor cat, Fluffy my ragdoll is safer indoors, she has access to the back garden in summer when we are all outside, Peaches my bengal escaped one day after that we could never keep her in she was alot happier with access to the great outdoors that decision for us was the wrong one :cry: , We have a kitten, Tigger is nearly 6 mths he is an indoor cat at the moment and will probably stay that way.

niki71uk
19-01-2009, 05:56 PM
cass is nearly 10 mnths old now,has only ever been out side in the summer at my dads,i havent as yet let her out here,she's still a bit scatty,my older cat goes out but not often,she doesnt seem bothered by it an does cry to get out (thank god) she will escape into the stair when she can,and i have great fun trying to chase her back in

i was gonna wait till the lighter weather,but im worried as she is very pretty,someone will try an take her

janey83
19-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Leo has sneaked out a couple of times but he only took a few steps in the back garden then came back in. If we do end up taking him the garden on a harness would he not want to go out more and more?

When my cat Tigger had his car accident we ended up putting a pole in the middle of the garden with a lead attached to it and he had a harness on. Suppose we could try that on Leo in the summer if he did want to go out. (I dont think he will to be honest. Will let you know what happens.

Lorna
21-01-2009, 11:40 PM
My two are indoor cats, I have a garden, but they are very very nervy cats anyway so I really don't think they'd like it, but also I plan on moving to London in 2011 and will probably have an apartment, and would rather them never go outside than have to change it....

They have each other and they cuddle me, they have a scratching post (although they seem to prefer my wallpaper!) and toys but they're happy enough! I've lost one cat to a road accident, and sometimes people drive like loon's around here even though its not a busy road... love them too much to take risk!

Juli
22-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I know how you feel, my two cats are indoor cats and i feel so guilty when they sit by the patio doors and look like they are longing for the outdoors!I'm going to get them a harness and get them used to it then take them in the garden when the weather finally decides to get better! I was also worried that once they've had a taste of outdoors that they would try to escape but everyone on here has reassured me that this won't necessarily be the case.One of my cats is so nervous i don't think she'll even like it but the other is deaf so she won't be spooked by loud noises etc. Let us know how you get on.