PDA

View Full Version : Our gerbils think they're cats!

Tina
17-01-2009, 01:54 AM
We moved my son's gerbils (Ger & Bil) into the dining room a few months ago because they weren't getting enough attention in my son's room.

They've always had a dish of sand in their cage because we were advised that they like to use it to roll around and "clean" their fur in. And while they were living in my son's room, that was what they used the sand for.....rolling around in!

Since moving them to the dining room, the cats now have access to them and are frequently to be found beside their cage "talking" to them. I DO believe that our girls have been teaching wee Ger & Bil how to be cats! The lovely dish of sand (their bathtub) is now being used by the rodent brothers as a LITTER BOX!!! Just waiting for them to learn to meow next! :lol:

dandysmom
17-01-2009, 02:55 AM
That's cute, and sort of amazing! Clever cats, clever gerbils....

Moli
17-01-2009, 11:31 AM
My nephw has 2 Gerbils, and they also use a dish of sand as a little box...I did not realise just how entertaining they could be..

Elaine
17-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Bless 'em.:D
Are they in a cage or a tank?
I once had 3 rescue gerbils, plague, pestilence and famine they were called coz every one kept saying they were vermin:lol: .
Any way, Winston was about 5 yrs old at the time and one morning I found a gerbil tail out side of the cage:shock: Must have been Winston as Mutley was blind and would have knocked the whole cage over. The gerbil survived the incident and was absolutely fine, but tail-less.

Tina
18-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Bless 'em.:D
Are they in a cage or a tank?
I once had 3 rescue gerbils, plague, pestilence and famine they were called coz every one kept saying they were vermin:lol: .
Any way, Winston was about 5 yrs old at the time and one morning I found a gerbil tail out side of the cage:shock: Must have been Winston as Mutley was blind and would have knocked the whole cage over. The gerbil survived the incident and was absolutely fine, but tail-less.

They're in one of those "gerbilarium" things, the bottom is a tank and the top is a cage. It's great because they can have lots of woodchips, really deep, so they can create their multitude of tunnels!

Very pleased that your gerbil survived the shock of losing his tail! Can you imagine his surprise when he stuck his tail out and it was quickly removed? LOL!