PDA

View Full Version : Cats eating grass

mumof3
16-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I have 3 cats and the last few days I have been cleaning up sick. Its mainly water with long strands of brown grass (sorry to be so descriptive!) but also some food sick too.

Do cats really eat grass when they are feeling ill just so they make themselves sick or is there another reason they do it.

I have seen one of them being sick but dont know if its him every time or whether its the others too. Apart from the sickness they all seem fit and well.

Any advice?

angieh
16-01-2009, 12:49 PM
It's quite normal for cats to eat grass and it does them good. I wouldn't worry about the grass at all but if one is continually being sick (if you can find out it is just one cat) then perhaps the food he or she is eating is disagreeing with him or her and perhaps a carefully introduced change is called for.

Mags
16-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Cats don’t eat grass as a source of nutrients. For them, eating grass has a purely mechanical function. Ingested blades of grass trigger regurgitation of indigestible or hard to digest matter, like the cats’ own hair swallowed during grooming, or fur and bones of prey. Expelling this through regurgitation is safer than allowing it to pass through the digestive system where it could possibly cause a blockage.

Are any of your cats hunters........ that could be a clue to the sickness...

mumof3
16-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Well I have just discovered that all of them are being sick, mostly white froth now. They all had a small piece of cheese last night, would that make them sick?

One of them is a hunter but hasnt bought anything home for a while now, wondering whether to ring the vets, I'm a bit worried that they may have eaten something poisionous.

angieh
16-01-2009, 02:37 PM
If you're worried about the possibility then phone your vet immediately.

mumof3
16-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks Angie

I have rung the vet and taking them in this afternoon. Will let you know how they get on.

angieh
16-01-2009, 03:27 PM
I have fingers crossed that it's nothing serious.

dandysmom
16-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Same here, do let us know!

Elaine
16-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Oh dear, hope they are all ok xxx

mumof3
16-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Well the vet gave them all a good going over, much to their disgust! He was as baffled as I was as they all seem fine, he did however give them all an anti sickness injection and some antacid medicine for tonight. I am taking them back tomorrow for a check up.

They havent been sick since lunchtime but they havent eaten today, they have some chicken and rice for later if they are hungry so we will see.

Thanks for all your concerns :)

Elaine
16-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Glad to hear that they all seem to be well, hope they are right as rain by the morning xxx

bobrena
16-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Cats do eat grass when they are sick and when they are not. I had this happen to me a few months ago when I moved into a new house. They were a little upset from the move so they were eating grass to make themselves feel better. But like you said it just kept coming up. I was told by my vet that was ok. It after a while they stopped eating. But if your cats go outside they will probably eat it anyway it is natural for them too. You can by cat grass that is more easily digestitable for them at you local pet store.

angieh
16-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Glad to hear - I know it's no fun taking them to the vet (esp. 3!) but hopefully it has put your mind at rest and it's now just a case of keeping an extra eye on them for a while.

dandysmom
16-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Some cats do eat grass without throwing up. Several of mine did; ate it like salad.

Moli
16-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Good to har they are all fine, my boys all eat grass and are sick sometimes with it...