PDA

View Full Version : SLR camera.

Natalie
15-01-2009, 08:08 AM
I have been looking at this for a while but still unsure of what to get. Can anyone recommend one? I need something that is easy and light to use. What is photoshop?

I have been looking at the Nikon D40X

Carole
15-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Have you looked on Yo Photographer yet? There is lots of advice on there about buying a DSLR :)

Photoshop is one of the many programs you can use to edit your photos.

http://www.yophotographer.com/photography-forums.php

yola
15-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Photoshop is probably one of the best image manipulation packages. It's used by professionals and is quite complex. They do a 'lite' version for home use, but if you're competent on the PC you should be able to manage the full version.

I have a Canon EOS 30D (I think that's what number it is); bought it off a member here. It's SUCH a brilliant camera :-D My step-daughter who is studying photography has the latest model EOS (over a grand's worth) and she raves about it.

mattde
15-01-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm a Nikon user , D40x is a nice camera, camera body's are not very that important, its all about the lens's . go to jessops and have a feel / play with both canon and nikon bodys to see what you prefer.
I would say don't buy photoshop , get lightroom its far better and much easier to use. I used to use photoshop for everything , now lightroom does everything i need for processing photos.

Natalie
19-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks for your advice. I'm going to have a look this week and research between photoshop and lightroom too.

My digital camera isn't upto the job of filming moving objects such as the kids and animals.

mattde
19-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks for your advice. I'm going to have a look this week and research between photoshop and lightroom too.

My digital camera isn't upto the job of filming moving objects such as the kids and animals.

You wont go far wrong with both photoshop and lightroom.

When you say filming moving object do you mean video?
Not all the new SLR's have the video option. Mine does and to be honest have only used it a couple times. If you want video I would go for a basic video camera and keep the SLR for quality photography.
Lots of good deals on SLR's at the moment, let me know where your going to buy it from?

18-55mm kit lens is a fairly good lens, good for general stuff from landscapes to portrait work.

another good lens i use a lot is

Nikon 50mm f1.8 D AF Lens about the cheapest lens you can buy @ £75- £85 , good lens for portrait work, indoor photography and travel photography.

good luck with your SLR choice.

Natalie
19-01-2009, 09:58 AM
I have purchased a Canon EOS1000D

It was on special offer in my catalogue and as I have money on the account I have used it to purchase that one. I did some research on it and it looks to do the job for what I want anyway. Will I need separate lenses? Only want to start off doing basics such a family pictures and lots of the animals.

mattde
19-01-2009, 10:01 AM
I have purchased a Canon EOS1000D

It was on special offer in my catalogue and as I have money on the account I have used it to purchase that one. I did some research on it and it looks to do the job for what I want anyway. Will I need separate lenses? Only want to start off doing basics such a family pictures and lots of the animals.

cool , nice camera.

Does it come with 18 - 55mm lens?

Natalie
19-01-2009, 10:09 AM
No it doesn't. So I now need help on lenses lol. I'm hopeless on this sort of thing. I was tempted with the EOS450 but price won in the end.

HELP!!!!!

mattde
19-01-2009, 10:11 AM
If it does come with the kit lens 18-55mm I think you should stick to that lens till you have learnt how to use the camera.

Next step is get a good book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Lantern-Guides-Canon-Rebel/dp/1600594840/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232355852&sr=1-5

And once you have read it turn the camera off auto mode and you will soon lean to be more creative with your camera and start to use all those features you have paid for.

also a UV filter for the lens to help protect the glass from finger prints and dust would be a good buy.

mattde
19-01-2009, 10:18 AM
No it doesn't. So I now need help on lenses lol. I'm hopeless on this sort of thing. I was tempted with the EOS450 but price won in the end.

HELP!!!!!

what sort of budget do you have for your first lens?

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS Lens for £114

Sigma 28-70Mm F-2.8 Lens for £220

All depends on what you want to pay.

yola
19-01-2009, 10:34 AM
This is all very interesting as I'm getting frustrated with not using all the features my camera has . . . I'm going to invest in the book Matt, and start getting creative again!

Natalie; nice camera :D :D

mattde
19-01-2009, 10:38 AM
This is all very interesting as I'm getting frustrated with not using all the features my camera has . . . I'm going to invest in the book Matt, and start getting creative again!

Natalie; nice camera :D :D

Another thing that I find gets me using my camera is practical photography magazine, gives me lots of ideas and advice on camera settings. At the moment they have a feature on lightroom software and how to use it.
:)

mattde
20-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Natalie made a choice for your first lens yet? Need any help?

Natalie
20-01-2009, 08:02 PM
what sort of budget do you have for your first lens?

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS Lens for £114

Sigma 28-70Mm F-2.8 Lens for £220

All depends on what you want to pay.

I think the first lens is what we shall go for. Checked out the camera on the Which guide and it came out joint second and best buy.

mattde
20-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Yes its a very good camera, you will love it. Get a nice big memory card (4GB) from 7dayshop and snap away.
I would go for the 2.8 lens if you can tho the other lens is still a good lens.

Looking forward to seeing some of your new photos.

Matt

Natalie
20-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes its a very good camera, you will love it. Get a nice big memory card (4GB) from 7dayshop and snap away.
I would go for the 2.8 lens if you can tho the other lens is still a good lens.

Looking forward to seeing some of your new photos.

Matt

Thanks for your advice and info. Much appeciated. Whats the differences on both lenses for an novice like moi?

mattde
20-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I wont bore you with the technical stuff. 2.8 lens is faster / works better in low light, lens are not something you want to rush into buying if you cant decide.

Maybe it would be wise to just by a Canon 50mm lens for £78, brilliant lens. You can then take your time to pick another lens once you have learnt to use your camera.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=12814

50mm lens are good for portrait , low light photography,

This site is full of photos taken using a 50mm 1.8
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonef50mm/pool/

mattde
21-01-2009, 08:51 AM
On one of the photo forums I go on they say the new Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS Lens for £114.99 is great for beginners.

Best of luck on your purchase.

borderdawn
21-01-2009, 02:57 PM
I wont bore you with the technical stuff. 2.8 lens is faster / works better in low light, lens are not something you want to rush into buying if you cant decide.

Maybe it would be wise to just by a Canon 50mm lens for £78, brilliant lens. You can then take your time to pick another lens once you have learnt to use your camera.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=12814

50mm lens are good for portrait , low light photography,

This site is full of photos taken using a 50mm 1.8
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonef50mm/pool/
It depends on how close your subjects are as to whether a 50mm lens would be enough. Getting in animals faces isnt always the best idea.

This was taken with a 50mm F/2.5 EF Canon lens.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8480/tarnbreezerosiejan09001de5.jpg

Id go for a bigger zoom than a prime for a first lens if it were me, the 18-55mm is fine, but for a zoom lens you wont beat the 70-300mm Canon USM III lens, its under £200. Also bare in mind the 18-55mm has a plastic mount and is not the quality of other lenses, but for a beginner it should be fine, its who its aimed at.

Natalie
22-01-2009, 04:44 AM
Thanks Dawn and Matt for your help.

I'm as confused as ever what to buy!!EEEKKK

mattde
22-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks Dawn and Matt for your help.

I'm as confused as ever what to buy!!EEEKKK

Go for the 18-55mm then its a good all rounder lens.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1021794
does the place you ordered your camera from do the camera and lens as a kit? should be cheaper that way.

Then in a few months pickup the 50mm or a telephoto 70-300mm.

Photography hobby is expensive, the camera body is the cheap part :-) .

mattde
26-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Did you order your camera??? Turned up yet?

Natalie
27-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Its arriving tomorrow :-)

mattde
27-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Its arriving tomorrow :-)

Bet you cant wait, get test photos posted when you get it going. :)

Natalie
29-01-2009, 03:45 PM
It has arrived complete with a 18-55 mm lense kit too :pom

I shall study the bible that came with tonight. I'm off for 2 week annual leave from Monday so I shall get snapping.

mattde
29-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Nice one :D :D

When you put the lens on keep the camera faced toward the floor ,and dry and do it fairly quickly to stop any dust going in.

Welcome to the SLR world, get ya battery charged and get snapping. I'm sure the kids will think you've turned into a pap by the end of the holidays.

dandysmom
29-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Nice one :D :D

When you put the lens on keep the camera faced toward the floor ,and dry and do it fairly quickly to stop any dust going in.

Welcome to the SLR world, get ya battery charged and get snapping. I'm sure the kids will think you've turned into a pap by the end of the holidays.

Isn't it great having a tip like that from someone who knows? That would never have occurred to me, but seems so obvious once it;s pointed out! :D

mattde
29-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Isn't it great having a tip like that from someone who knows? That would never have occurred to me, but seems so obvious once it;s pointed out! :D

thought I would mention it, Tho you do have.....

Automatic Sensor Cleaning – the 1000D comes complete with the EOS integrated cleaning system to keep the sensor free of dust; this is a good bonus as it means that you do not have to spend money on expensive cleaning tools.

Still better to try and keep the dust out anyway.

Natalie
30-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Well I got the box open and have taken a few shots. Can't get my head around all the tech modes etc so have sacked it for tonight and taken 2 paracets instead!!

borderdawn
01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
thought I would mention it, Tho you do have.....

Automatic Sensor Cleaning – the 1000D comes complete with the EOS integrated cleaning system to keep the sensor free of dust; this is a good bonus as it means that you do not have to spend money on expensive cleaning tools.

Still better to try and keep the dust out anyway.
Think all Canons do now dont they? I was looking at these Arctic Butterflies, not sure though. :?