PDA

View Full Version : HELP needed (PEE- sample)PLEASE

Leesy
14-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Can any one give me any advice on how to get a pee-pee sample from Maxi please, I have tried to get one from him to take to the vets, but I am struggling to get one.:oops:

ANY I repeat ANY ADVICE welcome.

Mags
14-01-2009, 04:14 PM
You might like to try some of the ideas in one of our older threads ..........

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=18818&highlight=Get+a+urine+sample+from+cat

Good luck!! :lol:

Mags
14-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Some of our members here have also obtained some special crystal litter from their vets which doesn't absorb the urine.

You may need to ask your vet for some as a last resort...

Leesy
14-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Yes I have got some of those from the vets but it is only a little bag, it says to put it in a clean cat litter tray etc. but the thing is he is one of these who takes about 5 mins of scratching around before he does any thing, so I was told to put them in a smaller bowl and then as he starts to wee push this bowl under, but he gets that far down I can`t get the bowl under him.:oops:

Leesy
14-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Might try either buying some more crystals or the aquarium gravel idea.

Mags
14-01-2009, 04:30 PM
That's a bit awkward then :? Hopefully some members who have used this method will be along shortly to give you their experience...;)

PoshPuss
14-01-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't have any tips for you sweetie, but huge sympathy. this seems like mission IMPOSSIBLE ! :)

Leesy
14-01-2009, 05:14 PM
That's a bit awkward then :? Hopefully some members who have used this method will be along shortly to give you their experience...;)

I certainly hope so, just tried again with no luck.:oops:

Leesy
14-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't have any tips for you sweetie, but huge sympathy. this seems like mission IMPOSSIBLE ! :)

It certainaly does feel like mission impossible LOL.
Never mind will try again.

Elaine
14-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi Leesy, they are small bags arent they. I have had to collect samples from Eva and my dear departed Winston. All I did was clean a litter tray out, put the crystal/silicone stuff in the tray, confine kitty to one room with the litter tray in that room also, and wait. One time Winston took the whole day before he would use the tray, another time I had to confine Eva for several days at a time but we finally got one.
Wish you the best of luck, it's not always easy but they normally perform eventually.;)

dandysmom
14-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Have you tried a shallow saucer rather than a bowl? Slips underneath them more easily; worked for me.

Leesy
14-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Didn`t they get stressed being in a seperate room, Maxi would pine being in on his own.

angieh
14-01-2009, 06:10 PM
I found this, I haven't used it myself so cannot personally recommend the product -

http://www.mdcexports.co.uk/?p=caturine

Edited to say: I didn't mean I hadn't used it myself but I haven't used it to collect wee from my cat!!!

Elaine
14-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Didn`t they get stressed being in a seperate room, Maxi would pine being in on his own.

They did a little but the sample was important to get. Better that than ongoing problems.;)

Leesy
14-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Have you tried a shallow saucer rather than a bowl? Slips underneath them more easily; worked for me.

I am going to try that next I have transfered some into a littler caucer like dish , just waiting for him to perform now.:roll:

Leesy
14-01-2009, 06:14 PM
I found this, I haven't used it myself so cannot personally recommend the product -

http://www.mdcexports.co.uk/?p=caturine

Edited to say: I didn't mean I hadn't used it myself but I haven't used it to collect wee from my cat!!!

Thanks I will have a look in a mo.:D

Leesy
14-01-2009, 06:15 PM
They did a little but the sample was important to get. Better that than ongoing problems.;)

Yes I agree with that:?

Elaine
14-01-2009, 06:17 PM
It's frustrating playing the waiting game though. Fingers crossed he performs very soon for you.
Does he suffer from cystitis or something?

dandysmom
14-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I am going to try that next I have transfered some into a littler caucer like dish , just waiting for him to perform now.:roll:

Sorry wasn't clear; meant just the saucer to catch the urine, then tip into a container with the crystals.

Jasmine
14-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I had to get a urine sample from Chino a couple of months ago - maybe I was lucky but I washed his litter tray out and put the silicone in - he did not seem to mind that it was a small amount and had no trouble going. Of course some cats can be very fussy about changes in litter.

Leesy
14-01-2009, 08:54 PM
It's frustrating playing the waiting game though. Fingers crossed he performs very soon for you.
Does he suffer from cystitis or something?

yehhhh.:smt038 I have just managed to catch some, but got a tiny little bit of the normal cat litter in it, so I phoned the vets and they said they wouldn`t be able to use it really now because they would not be able to test it till tomoz, so they need a fresh sample in the morning, I couln`t believe it after all that.:smt022
so I will have to go through it all again tomoz.

The vet seems to think it is, I took him last Tuesday as his wees seemed a bit pinky, they took a wee sample there which showed that there was blood in his wee, which indicates some sort of infection, there is no crystals present as he tested there and then for that.
The vet gave him a antibiotic injection to clear the infection up which I thought had worked because the colour of his wee seemed to have improved, but it now seems quite pinky in colour again, so the vet has asked me to send in another sample.

I am getting abit worried and wish it would get better:(

Leesy
15-01-2009, 08:05 AM
:smt041 We have SUCCESS yipeeeeee:D so I will now take that to the vets first thing this morning, the downside though is that it still has blood in it:( there does not seem to have been much if any improvement, will have to see what the vet has to say.:cry:

angieh
15-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Well done you!

Poor Maxi - do hope the vet can sort him out quickly.

Elaine
15-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Pleased you got the sample. Fingers crossed the vet can sort out Maxis issue asap, cannt be nice for the poor guy.
Please keep us updated.

dandysmom
15-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Glad you were successful; hope the vet can sort it out now with the right medications.

Leesy
15-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi everyone thanks for all the kind advice and support:D .
Just back from the vets with my poor little baby, hes feeling a little worse for wear, whne I took tha sample in this morning the vet took one look at his sample and said he wanted to see him straight away, so I went home to get him. he has been in all day he has been under anesthetic and on a fluid drip all day to flush him out, he was under anesthetic so they could xray his bladder and kidneys etc:( .

Good news is everything is fuctioning fine, but he has got a severe case of cystitus, which means he is on 3 lots of tabs twice a day of steroids, antibiotics, and some sort os cystitus tabs.:( luckly he is quite good at taking tabs:shock:shock:

We are going to have lots n lots of TLC tonight:smt049 :smt049 :smt049 :smt049 :smt049

dandysmom
15-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Oh what a stressful day for you both! And what a blessing that you can pill him, some cats are simply impossible to pill. Sounds as if he'll be all right, bless him! Please give him a chin tickle from me.

Leesy
15-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Will do dandysmom:D Thank you.:-D

Mags
15-01-2009, 09:33 PM
I hope he'll soon feel better once his meds start to work...:)

angieh
15-01-2009, 09:33 PM
What a difficult day for you and a horrible day for poor Maxi. My Merlin has had cystitis in the past and luckily seems to respond very quickly to meds - I hope Maxi does the same. Please give him a gentle cuddle from me.

Elaine
15-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Poor guy but atleast your vet is on the ball as this can be life threatening to male cats. Glad there is no kidney/bladder damage and very glad he is easy to pill.
Here's to a very swift recovery xxx

Leesy
15-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Maxi says a big thank you to all of you, he keeps giving me mucky looks though at the moment while he his giving himself a rather indignant wash, he does smell of antiseptic though.:lol:

Phoenix
15-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Poor boy! Give him strokes and a cuddle from me please Leesy! :(

Hope he gets better with meds and hope you are OK after taking him to the vets! :(

I had to take dear departed Beauty to the vets for a urine sample to be taken, we just couldn't get it and Beauty got so wound up (frightened) the vet had trouble getting the sample!

kirsty01
23-01-2009, 05:03 PM
The plastic crystals are called Katkor we sell them. Thats prob your best idea, although you might find it takes him a while to get used to it! Ask your vet for a syringe too so you can suck up the urine from the tray. You can keep the Katkor if you rinse it and disinfect it too. Incase u need it again!

Leesy
31-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi there, just giving you an update as to how Maxi is doing.
He was back at the vets again on Thursday after 2 wks of being on the antibiotics, cystese tabs and steroids. The vet was pleased that his wee sample was more dilute and clear due to the fact that he is now on wet I/D food and I have to make sure that he is having a 160mls of water extra a day, but he still has a high percentage of blood in his urine that shouldn`t be there so he has sent his sample of to a urinalysis to check that there are no abnormal cells present:cry:, so I am on tender hooks just waiting for the results which should be on Monday.
Fingers crossed everything will be fine and it is just a case of it taking a while to clear up:) .

dandysmom
31-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Fingers crossed here too, Leesy; hope the results are good and that he continues to improve. Do keep us posted!

Leesy
31-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Fingers crossed here too, Leesy; hope the results are good and that he continues to improve. Do keep us posted!