PDA

View Full Version : Cat senses illness?

anie
13-01-2009, 03:58 AM
I'm wondering if my grandma's cat is affected by her alzeimer's. She was diagnosed over a year ago and coincidentally her cat began to lose a lot of weight and becaome even pickier with his food. She and the cat adore each other but they both seem to be going down together. Granted he was already pretty old but I was just wondering, especially since I read this BBC article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6919063.stm

Any thoughts or insights?

angieh
13-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I absolutely believe that certain animals can and obviously do sense illness. My cat Merlin always stays with me if I am feeling poorly and before my other cat Smudge died, both Merlin and Smudge would be on my bed with me when I was ill. Normally Merlin and Smudge stayed well clear of each other.

dandysmom
13-01-2009, 05:31 PM
I quite agree; all of mine have known when I was ill (fortunately not often) and would stay quietly in the bed with me till I was better.

It's possible your cat if he's well along in years, is experiencing feline dementia also. Does he sometimes wail loudly and seem a bit disoriented?

Edited: thanks for that link! Most interesting, especially the comments.

anie
14-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Thanks, great responses! I have no idea if the cat has feline dementia because we don't see him that often, just when we visit my grandma. I've never noticed him disoriented but my grandma complains that he meows loudly a lot at night now. Thats a really good suggestion though and highly possible, I'll go read up on it.

CathyW
14-01-2009, 05:06 PM
we had a friend come over to visit once. he had MS and my cats where all over him wouldnt leave him alone. i joked and asked did he bathe in catnip. and just b4 i had my angina attacks i had all 3 cats on me all trying to lay on my chest. quite suffocting realy. but very sweet. and if im poorly now reggie climbs INTO bed with me.

dandysmom
14-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks, great responses! I have no idea if the cat has feline dementia because we don't see him that often, just when we visit my grandma. I've never noticed him disoriented but my grandma complains that he meows loudly a lot at night now. Thats a really good suggestion though and highly possible, I'll go read up on it.

One of the signs, Anie. Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://cat-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/does_your_cat_have_alzheimers

angieh
14-01-2009, 05:45 PM
That's an interesting link DM - thanks!

anie
29-01-2009, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the link dandysmom!

dandysmom
29-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Glad it was helpful. My Patches exhibited signs of feline dementia before she passed at 20. She'd wail loudly at night and sometimes seemed disoriented. But other than that, seemed her normal self most of the time, ate well and was affectionate. They don't seem to be suffering from it; suppose it's common in cats who reach a good age ...... how is your grandma's cat now?

anie
03-02-2009, 05:01 AM
I've gotten such great info here so far. Thanks again for the link!

Her cat seems the same, he still meows at night, it's neither worse nor better. It sounds like my grandma's used to it really. The latest update with her is that the doctor says her dementia doesn't seem noticeably worse at the moment, so thats good.

CathyW
03-02-2009, 09:25 AM
barnaby was like that, he would go into a room (alone) then yowl loudly because there was no-one there, we had to go n get him then he would settle down. but he was a strange cat anyway.

dandysmom
03-02-2009, 04:52 PM
How old was Barnaby, BM? That can be a sign of early feline dementia ........