PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Spraying

Phoenix
12-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Dylan's started spraying indoors, how can we prevent him spraying? :?

I'm not sure what's caused him to suddenly start spraying, he started this week!

Outdoor spraying we are OK with, it's natural behaviour after all, but we'd rather he didn't spray indoors!

dandysmom
12-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Have there been any strange cats around that upset him? Spraying is usually territorial; he may be marking his property out of stress. Try some Feliway .....or a few drops of Rescue Remedy n his water.

Leesy
13-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Yes I would certainly say that it is a sign that he is abit stressed by maybe a strange cat hanging around, but not really sure what you can do about it SORRY... Never encounterd that before.

Phoenix
13-01-2009, 08:17 PM
To the best of my knowledge there's no new cats in the area.

Stephan
16-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Have you been away?

The late `Conker` would do that for a day or two on our return-just his way of reminding us it was his house and we had neglected it/him

yola
16-01-2009, 12:16 PM
He has been neutered hasn't he (daft question if he's come through a rescue centre, but no harm in asking)? Have you been using strongly-scented cleaning products? Some cats really object to these and try to overlay their own scent over this.

Phoenix
16-01-2009, 02:41 PM
He has been neutered hasn't he (daft question if he's come through a rescue centre, but no harm in asking)? Have you been using strongly-scented cleaning products? Some cats really object to these and try to overlay their own scent over this.

He's neutered, I don't think we have been using strong cleaning products (we've used air freshener round every time he sprays)

He's been in a fight with whatever cat it was upsetting him the other day, came in without a mark on him but there had been a lot of yowling and hissing. We think it was Beauty's boyfriend he was fighting with, can't be sure though! (Beauty's boyfriend Barrie still goes to sit by Beauty's grave, quite sweet really! Who says cats can't feel love?)

dandysmom
16-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I suspect it's Barrie who's stressing him. Try the Feliway.

Phoenix
16-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I suspect it's Barrie who's stressing him. Try the Feliway.

Could I get it online anywhere or would I have to get it from the vet?

Mags
16-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Could I get it online anywhere or would I have to get it from the vet?

You can get Feliway from here....

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=64811fcf5ad2b0ac37215a8930dcbe4f&keyword=Feliway

Phoenix
16-01-2009, 08:28 PM
You can get Feliway from here....

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=64811fcf5ad2b0ac37215a8930dcbe4f&keyword=Feliway

Thanks Mags :-D

I don't want to have to scare Barrie away by aproaching him, he's missing Beauty :( (boyfriend and girlfriend)

Is there any way I could help Barrie without invading his territory? (approaching him would scare him so I won't be able to get pictures without him running away)

pawspadding
25-02-2009, 04:53 AM
I have tried Feliway, Amitriptyline, Clomicalm and Prozac to stop my 5-year old neutered male from spraying these last THREE YEARS! NOTHING works! He is aggressive toward his littermate brother and is a very spoiled cat. His litter was found as newborns; raised at vet's then adopted. I love this little boy; will never have him PTS because of this, but.... Yes, there are cats outside - and another cat inside too (three inside). Can't stop the ferals - live in a rural area. I AM DESPERATE. Yes, I've had him checked for UTI - but am going to have to do it again now that Prozac stopped working - for a few months it did - spraying almost stopped... but lately he's on a spraying rampage again. I am at my wit's end. Anyone tried Valium? I hate to do that, but the anti-depressants don't work - they could even be "spiking" him up for all I know.