PDA

View Full Version : Kittens 4 days old, worried mum is being rough

emsie
12-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Please help, my 1 year old cat had 2 kittens thursday 8th jan. She has seemed to be fine so far, going for walks around the house, but if they cry she goes straight back to the kittens.
Today, she got outside, and we managed to get her back in after about an hour.
She has been moaning all day, and has started being rough with the kittens. Biting them and when she licks them, she is really really rough with them, and constant moaning.
I dont think this seems normal and dont know what to do?? Im really worried.:(

yola
12-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Do you have a vet you can consult? I've no experience of kittens but others here have. I'd try and contact an expert asap incase they need to be separated and hand-reared.

angieh
12-01-2009, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to get mum and kits to the vet asap. Mum may not be well - have you noticed the kits suckling?

emsie
12-01-2009, 10:41 PM
thanks for your comments just called a helpline and spoke to a trainsed vet nurse, she seemed to think she sounds fed up and to keep an eye on her, so got my fingers and toes crossed she will be in a better mood tomorrow...thanks.x:?

dandysmom
12-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Please let us know how mum and kits are doing. Did she have a vet checkup during pregnancy?

Leesy
13-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Hope that mum and kits are doing OK, maybe she might just be abit grumpy because she maybe might have some after pains like we get after giving birth as she is doing alot of moaning.:-D

Natalie
13-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Poor cat and her kits. I have no experience in pregnant cats and newly nursing cats and their kittens.

How are things this morning?

smudgley
13-01-2009, 08:49 AM
She's just a youngster herself at 12 months old & probably finding the whole experience a little strange.
Have you been handling the kittens? She may not like that if she is a little possesive in these early days.
Some moms will generally be rough when cleaning them & toss the babies around, but it is usually not meant in any way other than a loving inexperienced mom cleaning her babies.
Have you checked her mamaries are ok?
You say she went out - if she went outside, she will get pregnant again.

emsie
13-01-2009, 10:10 AM
She seems better this morning. Her teats are fine, they are feeding well, sleeping well and seem settled. I think they were just irritating her yesterday.

She got out by accident, we are planning for her to get neutered before she goes back out, dont think I could go through this again!!

Thanks everyone for your comments,xx :lol:

dandysmom
13-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Good that things are better this morning; excellent that she'll be spayed. How many kits did she have; will you be keeping them or rehoming? And what's her name?

emsie
14-01-2009, 01:49 PM
She is called Daisy, she is pure black. she had 2 kits, they are both black 2. A friend is having 1 kitten and we are keeping one. We are going to call the kitten Dora and our friends named hers munchkin!!

She still seems a little frustrated at being kept inside, but she has calmed down lots from Monday!
xxx:D