PDA

View Full Version : Cats names

dandysmom
12-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I just noticed today that the great majority of our cats have two syllable names. Off the top of my head: Cassie, Chancer, Eva, Maxwell, Cleo, Bluebell, Bentley, Cuddles, Wiggy...could go on and on. Wonder why this is? Something I never thought about when naming, but all seven of mine were two syllable words....

calismum
12-01-2009, 09:40 PM
My cats have been

Shanti
Pepper
Smudge
Max
Sid
Shadow
Munchkin
Misty
Alfie
Kinsi

So, yes - 70% have two syllables. I also usually called Max, Maxy and Smudge was Smudgles. Only Sid remained just Sid.

Wonder if that is usual for everyone else.

Interesting question DM

Phoenix
12-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Beauty and Dylan have been the ones owning me, no two syllables there!

angieh
12-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Mer-lin and
Smudge-y

Oh and I am Ang-ie!

meep
12-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Dar-cy
Stra-vin-sky (but I shorten it to Mins-ky)
Soph-ie
Chas-ka
Bagg-ins
Squint

So yes mainly two! cats respond much better to names that contain the "ee" sound, so a 'y' on the end is common. Stravinsky, even though it's only one syllable more, is a lot trickier to say in an affectionate way or when calling so it makes sense to shorten to 2!

yola
12-01-2009, 09:53 PM
It is about word rhythm isn't it.

Baliero - Bal-ie
Firenza - Fi-fi
Ferdinand - Fer-dy
Darcy and Myshka . . .2 syllabubs ;) each anyway!!!

RCR - Beau-ty and Dy-lan are both 2 syllables :D

Phoenix
12-01-2009, 09:56 PM
It is about word rhythm isn't it.

Baliero - Bal-ie
Firenza - Fi-fi
Ferdinand - Fer-dy
Darcy and Myshka . . .2 syllabubs ;) each anyway!!!

RCR - Beau-ty and Dy-lan are both 2 syllables :D

What am I thinking of then:oops:

niki71uk
12-01-2009, 10:10 PM
unusual but nice names for ur cats lola

dandysmom
12-01-2009, 10:11 PM
My tribe were/are:

Scam-per
Su-ling
Sul-tan
Dan-dy
Mis-ty
Patch-es
On-yx

and of course, Le-ia! 100% Funny I never noticed that .....

Moli
12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Oli.ver.
Cas.per
Chan.cer.
Mer.lin.
Leo..

cats' staff
12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
It's easier to train a cat to learn their name if it has two syllables as you can get them use to inflections. Tolly is higher on the 'Toll' and lower on the 'ee' but both are the same length, Smudgie (had to lengthen it) is shorter on the 'ee; than Tolly and Cleo has a very long 'cllleeee' with a short, lower 'o'. They do seem to spot the difference
(reading back I'm not sure this makes much sense!?)

angieh
12-01-2009, 10:18 PM
I always think about what other people think when you go out into the garden to call your cats in for their breakfast/supper whatever - some names sound a lot more "sensible" than others - although I'm not sure why that should be. If your cats are indoor, of course this will not trouble you at all!

dandysmom
12-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Makes sense to me. Cat's Staff. When I'm calling Leia, the emphasis is on the first syllable: LEEE-ah, but if she's doing something I want her to stop it's LE-AH! Equal stresses.

cats' staff
12-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I always think about what other people think when you go out into the garden to call your cats in for their breakfast/supper whatever - some names sound a lot more "sensible" than others - although I'm not sure why that should be. If your cats are indoor, of course this will not trouble you at all!

Yes I did occasionally wonder about the wisdom of naming my first cat 'Herod'.

dandysmom
12-01-2009, 10:23 PM

Good point, Angie! The name I have in mind for another cat will be Tiggles, and I admit I'd feel a bit foolish shouting that outside.....but he/she will be an indoor cat! :-D

angieh
12-01-2009, 10:23 PM

:oops: :oops: :oops: You DIDN'T????

cats' staff
12-01-2009, 10:25 PM
:oops: :oops: :oops: You DIDN'T????

Well he slaughtered innocents...

dandysmom
12-01-2009, 10:25 PM

:shock: :shock: :shock:

angieh
12-01-2009, 10:29 PM

How old were you???

dandysmom
12-01-2009, 10:34 PM

:-D Well, I must admit it's logical......

cats' staff
12-01-2009, 10:38 PM
How old were you???

Er, not a child! I was in my 20s. I had Herod and another cat called Hick - my then boyfriend named Hick after a cricketer. Tolly, Smudge and Cleo are lucky... (I'm also a good 20 years older)

dandysmom
12-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Two of Alexgirl's cats are named after sports figures....Broxi and Cooper (two syllables again!)

cats' staff
12-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Two of Alexgirl's cats are named after sports figures....Broxi and Cooper (two syllables again!)

I hate sports but was very unpopular introducing cat number 2 so let him choose the name. The cat lasted longer than the boyfriend!

dandysmom
12-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I hate sports but was very unpopular introducing cat number 2 so let him choose the name. The cat lasted longer than the boyfriend!

Ah! Nice to know I'm not the only non-sports person here! :D

Moli
12-01-2009, 11:27 PM
We had new neighbours a few years ago, I went out and shouted Leo, Lee and this mans head popped up and said "Yes"!! his name was Lee...!:roll: :lol:

dandysmom
12-01-2009, 11:41 PM
We had new neighbours a few years ago, I went out and shouted Leo, Lee and this mans head popped up and said "Yes"!! his name was Lee...!:roll: :lol:

:smt005 Funny! I rather doubt I'll ever have a neighbor named Tiggles, however. Do you ever call Oliver Ollie?

Leesy
13-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Must be something that we do subconsiously(not sure if spelt right) us women, wonder if men naming their cats name them the same way!!!

dandysmom
13-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Well, Luke has Maxwell, William, Clementine, and before, Elsa and Bella, so 80% two syllable. Mattde has Marmalade and Myrtle, 50-50. Phil has Bramble, Paddy and Murphy, 100% two syllable. Darky has Honey and Spike, another 50 -50. Statistically that's too small a sample to mean anything. Steph has Cleo, 100% two syllable. Have I forgotten any of our male members?

Leesy
13-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Must just be something that we all do men and women..LOL;)

Mags
13-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Well, Luke has Maxwell, William, Clementine, and before, Elsa and Bella, so 80% two syllable. Mattde has Marmalade and Myrtle, 50-50. Phil has Bramble, Paddy and Murphy, 100% two syllable. Darky has Honey and Spike, another 50 -50. Statistically that's too small a sample to mean anything. Steph has Cleo, 100% two syllable. Have I forgotten any of our male members?
Az has Cheetah...:D

random
13-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Much easier to shout!

The ones I have that don't have 2 syllable names do have nicknames that are 2 syllables that they are called more often than their full name. Like Vitaani is 3 syllables but she gets called Tarny most of the time which is 2. Kiara gets Rary and Anakin gets Ani.

With my dogs it's the same, Madison gets Maddy, Bear gets Bear bum :oops: and Star gets Starla or Starfish. They just seem to respond much better to 2 syllables.

yola
13-01-2009, 04:00 PM
unusual but nice names for ur cats lola

LOL Nikki, I like to make life difficult for myself :roll:

Leesy
13-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Much easier to shout!

The ones I have that don't have 2 syllable names do have nicknames that are 2 syllables that they are called more often than their full name. Like Vitaani is 3 syllables but she gets called Tarny most of the time which is 2. Kiara gets Rary and Anakin gets Ani.

With my dogs it's the same, Madison gets Maddy, Bear gets Bear bum :oops: and Star gets Starla or Starfish. They just seem to respond much better to 2 syllables.

Its abit like looking after kids really they are the same they respond much better to 2 syllable names.:p

dandysmom
13-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Az has Cheetah...:D

BIG OOPS! :oops: Sorry, Az!!!:oops:

angieh
13-01-2009, 05:23 PM
This has just made me think - little boys (like my cousins) called Mickey or Timmy or Johnny all hate to be called that as they get older - then they become Mick or Tim or John!

dandysmom
13-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Good observation! When I was little I called my father Daddy, but changed to Dad as I got older ..... it just seemed better...???

Tina
15-01-2009, 03:39 AM
In my case I have;

Miw-Bast (2 syllable), but we call her Miw (1 syllable)
Mouse (1 syllable), but we call her Mousie (2 syllable)

Although we do tend to call Miw "Miw-Miw" frequently and mother-in-law calls her Meusli!), so I think we must like the 2 syllable names too!

PoshPuss
15-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Even though Posh is a short name we call her Poshie, or Poshkins. More often, your highness, princess, babes... :D

yola
15-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I love Poshkins. Do you think David calls Victoria that . . . :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

cats' staff
15-01-2009, 09:05 PM
I love Poshkins. Do you think David calls Victoria that . . . :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: oh I do hope so.....