PDA

View Full Version : what to feed my Maine Coon with colitus

Leesy
10-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Is there anyone that could give me any advice, Maxi my 7 mth old baby boy started with loose stools with blood and mucus in when he was neuterd a month ago. The vet after treating him with antibiotics first and then steriods has said he has colitus, he is now on the hills prescription diet and a low dose steroid that he should hopefully be off in about 2 weeks.

The thing is I am not happy with the Hills food as I have heard that it is not very good, even though his poops are normal now. I have contemplated trying to introduce raw meet food into the diet wich I don`t really know alot about has anyone got any suggestions.

:cat9

tilly
10-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi
My cat Tilly has got inflammatory bowel diease and I have been feeding her on hills d/d and royal canin sensitivity control for the last 2 year and she is fine. If I feed her other food she is sick and won't eat. I haven't found it to be a problem with the hills diet she actually looks healthier as it doesn't upset her tummy. she is going on 12 years and seems to be OK.
Tilly

Leesy
10-01-2009, 06:17 PM
The food that Maxi is on is Hills I/D and I have concerns that with him only being a kitten he might not get the proper nutrients etc. that he needs because it is not kitten food, and he is still growing.

Elaine
10-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I dont know anything really about feline colitis but maybe this link will help.
http://www.harpsie.com/colitis_ibd.htm

tilly
10-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Would he be able to go back onto the i/d if normal food didn't work? If her can then I would very slowly mix the i/d with some kitten food. Is he on dry or wet i/d or a mix. here are some sensitive kitten food I found when I googled for sensitive kitten foods

Pro Plan Delicate Kitten Optistart 1.5kg
[AAA27269] Weighs 1.50kg £10.99

Click to enlarge
Smooth transition from mothers milk for fussy kittens aged between 0-12 months with sensitive skin/digestion.
Rich in turkey & Rice.

Formulated with a restricted number of protein sources to help improve food tolerance.

* High quality turkey as the No.1 ingredient for optimal palatability
* High tolerance formula with only four protein sources to help reduce the risk of early food sensitisation
* High protein level (40%) to promote optimal growth and the development of lean body mass
* Contains natural sources of DHA to help support brain and vision development
* Optimal levels of calcium and phosphorus for strong teeth and bones
* Formulated without wheat protein. (may contain traces of wheat, not suitable for allergic cats)

(Recommended for pregnant and nursing queens)

Typical Analysis

Protein- 40%
Oil- 20%
Ash- 7%
Linoleic acid- 2% (min)
Fibre- 1.5%
Calcium- 1.3%
Phosphorus- 1.1%
magnesium- 0.1%
Copper (as copper sulphate) 21 mg/kg

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/froogle_uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/miamor/miamor_trays/42061

Choice Complete Care Kitten
FORMULATED FOR GROWING KITTENS, PREGNANT OR LACTATING MOTHERS

Kittens need a healthy start on a happy life.The first year of your kitten's life is crucial for healthy development and growth. CHOICE COMPLETE CARE- KITTEN combines all natural ingredients,special vitamins and minerals and other nutritional components kittens need to optimise growth. Nutro's Kitten Development System™features optimum levels of calcium, phospherous and zinc for strong bones and teeth. DHA and Taurine are available to ensure good vision, a strong heart and healthy central nervous system. With CHOICE COMPLETE CARE- KITTEN you can always count on a gentle formula for young sensitive stomachs, great taste, and a healthy start in life your kitten deserves.

Daily Feeding Guide (in grams per day)

Weight (KG)
Weaning to 19 wks
20-29 wks
30-39 wks
40-52 wks

0.5-1.0
30-65
15-35
13-25
10-20

1.0-2.0
65-125
35-65
25-50
20-40

2.0-4.0
125-250
65-130
50-100
40-80

4.0-6.0
250-380
130-195
100-150
80-120

6.0-8.0
195-265
150-200
120-160

Feeding Guidelines: Serve dry or moisten with water.Portion controlled feeding is recommended to control your kitten's optimum growth. "Free Choice" feeding may be introduced as your kitten adapts to its food. Keep fresh drinking water available at all times

Key Features & Benefits:

Builds strong bones & teeth

All natural formula

Fortified with vitamins & minerals

Antioxidants, healthy immune system

Builds strong bones & teeth

/div>
Iimproved skin & coat

Reduced stool volume & odour

Taurine for vision & heart function

DHA for healthy central nervous system and eye development

Ingredients:
>

- Dried Chicken Meat
- Ground Rice
- Corn Gluten
- Poultry Fat (min. 14%)
- Beet Pulp
- Dried Alfalfa
- Oat Fibre
- Sunflower Oil (min 1%)
- Dried Yeast
- Potassium Chloride
- Menhaden Fish Oil
- Dried Egg Product
- Dried Bacillus
- Dried Bacillus Subtilis
- Chicory Extract
- Cranberry Powder

www.nutro.co.uk

Schesir Dry Cat Food 400g Trial Size
Schesir dry cat food is made from only the finest quality ingredients for optimum vitamin content.

Based on the unique OVN (Optimum Vitamin Nutrition) concept and developed alongside the latest scientific studies, Schesir is a diet-based cat food that promotes the heath and general well-being of your cat, based around a mixture of vitamins and essential amino acids.

The cat food is characterised by the following special features:

No artificial colourings or preservatives. ... for further information...

There are no reviews at the moment

Your review is important! Write now

Product Article Price (incl. VAT) £ Quantity Buy
- Kitten
Continuation of Product Description:

No genetically modified materials are used. Only high-quality and biologically valuable ingredients are included.
No soya or corn. The addition of potatoes optimises protein content while ensuring a low allergy probability.
Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are fundamental to the development of healthy brain cells and the cat's immune system.
The food contains fibre and plant extracts to assist the movement of swallowed hair through the intestines and digestive system.
Reduces the formation of plaque and tartar on the teeth.
The addition of green tea as an ingredient and the food's optimal magnesium content helps to maintain a healthy urinary tract.
The function and maintenance of a healthy digestive system are promoted by an optimal intake of nutrients, beetroot, prebiotika (FOS), liver and Yucca extract.
Schidigera yucca palm reduces stool odours by lowering the ammonia production of the cat.
Aloe Vera and amino acids help to promote healthy skin and soft, shiny fur.
Glucosamine and chondroitin promote healthy bone function amd the development of a healthy musculoskeletal system.
The possiblity of triggering a food allergy is reduced by using just a single source of animal protein

hope these help they are from zooplus.co.uk

I just went down all the dry food looking for kitten food that was sensitive.

best of luck

Tilly

Leesy
10-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks Elaine I have been on the website link and found it very useful, and thanks Tilly for some examples of the sensitive cat foods I will certainly look into them.
Has any one had any experience in feeding their cats a raw food diet or a combination of both or do you know any one who has that might beable to help on the raw meat side.
I have been told that that is a good diet for cats with colitus and IBD.
Thanks again.

automaton2
28-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi
I also have a maine coon
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/titianbeta/DSC_6244.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/titianbeta/DSC_6234.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/titianbeta/DSC_6228.jpg

I have him on lamb based Solid gold katz n flocken
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=4&code=130
New Formula! Dry food ideal for adult cats and kittens, to
maintain total health.

Protein, Min 34%
Fat, Min 12%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 323

Ingredients Lamb | Chicken Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Ocean Fish Meal | Cracked Pearled Barley | Canola Oil | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Flaxseed | Potassium Chloride | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Amaranth | Parsley Flakes | Spearmint | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Kelp | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Apples | Lentils | Quinoa | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

some people in user reviews found this good for digestibilty

Leesy
28-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi there and welcome to Catsey:D , what a handsome looking Maine coon you have he is gorgeous.

What is his name and how old is he?

Thanks for the link I am certainly going to have a look at that:D .

automaton2
28-01-2009, 06:10 PM
his name is Cupido and hes four months hes a doll and fresh as can be

also if you want to check out the realm of other foods
google cat food reviews
http://www.google.com/search?q=cat+food+reviews+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

automaton2
14-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Since my first post my kitten got sick
vomiting and diarrhea
hes been on hills i/d
however Im weaning him almost off
and onto natural balance duck and pea which is a limited ingredient recipe
His stools are normal and his coat has sheen
Im very happy with it

DUCK& GREEN PEA FORMULA
Duck, Duck Broth, Duck Liver, Pea Flour, Pea Protein, Salmon Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Sodium Chloride, Flaxseed, Dried Cranberries, Yucca Schidigera, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Leesy
14-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi there,
Glad to hear that Cupido is getting better and that his sickness and diarrhea has cleared up.:D :D

The Duck and Green pea formula sounds really interesting is it something that you make or do you buy it ready made?

automaton2
15-05-2009, 06:33 PM
the food is made by natural balance. It is available on-line at petfoods direct. The dry made him sick, the canned is what he is tolerating well.