PDA

View Full Version : Quill bird feeder/drinker

dinahsmum
08-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I treated myself to one of these (http://www.quillgardenbirddrinker.co.uk/) at xmas and have finally got around to installing it.
The theory is that open water spreads the nasty throat/gullet infection which has been killing so many garden birds, so 'sipping' from the nipples is a better way for the birds to get the moisture they need.
The new structure has proved very useful for hanging the Quill but of course no-one has been brave enough to investigate it yet. I'm not expecting any visitors in a hurry, as I haven't fed the birds since we got the boys - it seems a little mean luring them to potential death. However, I'm telling myself that I will be helping many more than are lost, and the birds who get caught are the weak/stupid ones. Darwin in action on his 200th Anniversary :roll:

angieh
08-01-2009, 05:01 PM
What a great idea DM - I'm definitely going to get one of those! I always worry whether my garden birds are getting a clean supply of water. I have a little splash and fountain which the birds love in the summer and have showers under, but it does get contaminated by leaves etc - unavoidable I suppose and because I cannot see the standing water, I have no idea what it looks like - I certainly wouldn't want to drink it.

Love your view of Darwin btw. I wonder what sort of celebrations there are going to be for his 200th!

Kim
08-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Look a great idea!

calismum
08-01-2009, 08:46 PM
great idea - might try and get one. Had no idea about the saliva thing, I have a few water trays out and a bird bath.

angieh
08-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Just a "by the way" really .....

http://www.darwin200.org/

borderdawn
08-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Looks excellent Eileen.

dandysmom
08-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Re the Darwin part of this post ...thanks for the info; didn't know the 200th was coming up. Maybe I'll finally get this tee I've been thinking of buying:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fzQNoMW2L._AA280_.jpg

dinahsmum
09-01-2009, 10:38 AM
I love that Tshirt Eileen!

No takers for the selection available at The Quill yet - how long do you think it might take? A week? Maybe longer?

angieh
09-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Keen T Eileen! Love it - and you have the perfect "excuse" for getting it now.

Sorry you've no takers yet DM - it can take a longish while if your locals haven't been tempted by food before. It'll only take one to be brave and this cold weather should help.

dandysmom
09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
]I love that Tshirt Eileen![/B]

No takers for the selection available at The Quill yet - how long do you think it might take? A week? Maybe longer?

Amazon US has them. Or just Google Darwin Fish Tee.

If they haven't been fed regularly will take a bit for them to realize there's free food. Then you'll find them waiting when you go to fill the feeder!

dinahsmum
15-05-2009, 08:12 AM
I found this thread on Page 5!
But I needed to report that a blue tit finally appeared last evening and made several sorties for 'suet with insect bird delight' pellets :)
Hoorah! Patience is a useful quality.
Well done brave little bird - it is within 3m of the house, so it needed a bit of bottle to investigate the strange new device.

Leesy
15-05-2009, 08:54 AM
That Quill bird feeder looks like a good idea for the wee little birdies, I think I will need to invest in one of them myself.
So glad that you have had a little visitor, it won`t be long and you will have a whole group of them fighting to get to the food and water;) :lol: :lol:

yola
15-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Now you have one brave attendee DM, word will quickly spread and you'll be overrun :D

angieh
15-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm amazed at how long that's taken DM - well done for not having given up hope entirely. Your new restaurant should be running s brisk trade soon!

dandysmom
15-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Patience finally paid off!