PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody experienced toxoplasmosis.

farthing
07-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Mustard, our 7 year old cat was back into the vet today as he is still not right. He was in about 3 weeks ago for tests and we are still not sure what is wrong, he may have toxoplasmosis, but it isn't easy to diagnose. He is showing neurological signs with hypersensitivity, not walking properly, eyesight problems and facial tremors. He has been on antirobe and steroids, and is still walking funny, the vet has warned us it may be permanent, but we are putting him in for x-rays tomorrow to rule out any spinal problems, it is so sad as he has been a happy outdoor cat, until now and it looks like he may be brain damaged and have to stay in from now on. Thankfully, he has his brother, Pumpkin, to cuddle up to, Pumpkin will also have to be an indoor cat after having ops on both back legs to fix his dislocated kneecaps.

Has anybody else experience of toxoplasmosis, it seems like all we can do is put him back on steriods, has anybody tried anything else.
It seems really strange, that they came here before we decided to become a sanctuary and were, apparently healthy youngsters, and now they are both cases who deserve sanctuary status.:?

angieh
07-01-2009, 08:52 PM
So sorry for Mustard but have no knowledge to offer, Farthing. You don't think he could have ingested anything poisonous at all?

Elaine
07-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Poor babies, I am so sorry Louise and i dont have any experience of it but if you like I can call my friend DD, Flintshire Cat Rescue, and find out if she has had any experience. God knows she has had more than her fair share of brain damaged and poorly cats.

farthing
07-01-2009, 09:03 PM
The vets are pretty sure there is nothing toxic involved, partly as we have already run blood tests and blood pressure checks, and partly as we had kept him in for the week before this occurred as I 'felt' he wasn't quite right and wanted to keep an eye on him.

Elaine, I would be grateful if you could ask your friend if she has any experience of this, the more you know the more you can fight it, or so I believe!

Thanks.

Liz
07-01-2009, 09:06 PM
We had a cat Gem diagnosed with this and she it later transpired had FIP - the symptoms are very similar so get vet to check for FIP to

farthing
07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
It is the same vets as you Liz, so I think they are probably keeping it in mind, but haven't mentioned it to me yet. I think Scott is doing the x-rays tomorrow, although Charlie and Andrew have both dealt with him so far. The initial blood tests, seem to imply he has been recently exposed to toxo infection and he was tested a couple of months ago for FIV, as this is how we lost Trigger.:( He came back negative, as did the rest of the family.

Elaine
07-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Havent managed to call DD yet but I will, if she does know anything, I'll pm you her number.
In the mean time I have found this from the Cornell University.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/toxo.html

Liz
07-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Sorry about that mind not in good place currently have 3 cats on my knee and brain is not connecting

Good luck tomorrow I am hoping to get our newest rescue Jester for his kitten vacs thats if he is playing ball seems to prefer men!

Elaine
07-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Just spoke with DD, she had one with suspected toxoplasmosis some years back. She cannt remember what the vet had prescribed but will find out and get back to me tomorrow. She also said that she was advised to give the cat a 5 to 6 week course of these tablets rather than 1 to 2 weeks because it's hard to treat sometimes.
Will let you know as soon as she gets back to me.

farthing
08-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Mustard's x-rays came back clear, so it looks like the problems are neurological. He is back onto steriods and will be on these long term, hopefully they will help. The vet I spoke to tonight said he may improve, stay the same or even get worse over time, we will have to wait and see. The worst thing is handling him as he goes completely rigid and he is so stiff, it is unnatural. He is very unsteady tonight after the GA, and is cuddled up on our bed.
He is such a handsome cat, its such a pity!
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/cats/S5030340.jpg

Liz
09-01-2009, 01:29 PM
What a super ginger ninja

I'm sure with your care and spoiling he will be better, the steriods usually show an improvement -= our oldie feral Miss gracie was on them for 9 months and the improvement was great

Fingers crossed for you and Mustard

I am off to the vet with Jester this afternoon for kitten injections even though he is 9 months old and get them to have a look at the tail damage he sustained before we rescued him

angieh
09-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Do so hope that Mustard shows some improvement. He certainly is a handsome boy.

Elaine
11-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Spoke with Diddydawn again, she is going to ask the vet that treated her cat on Monday to find out what it was that he prescribed.

farthing
11-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks Elaine.