PDA

View Full Version : Help!!Sore back!!!

Moli
07-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Going away tomorrow, and have a very sore lower back, cannot stand straight or bend down, anyone got a quick remedy to sort it???:(

angieh
07-01-2009, 02:35 PM
What a time for that to happen Moli - the only thing I can think of that may ease your pain is a hot bath and some anti-inflammatory such as ibubrofen gel or cream. You haven't had a fall or anything of that sort have you?

dinahsmum
07-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Can you get hold of a tens machine? Lloyds Pharmacy had them half price at under £20 before xmas. Even at full price they are a boon though - and last forever of course. Drug free pain relief. Try and get one and use it, together with anti-inflammatories and hot baths, to get rid of the pain. Once the pain is gone, try to move as much as you can.
Once you are better get a 'gym ball' and sit on it for at least half an hour a day (whilst watching TV maybe). It strengthens your abdo muscles, which support your back and keep your body stable.
Osteopaths etc say you tend to get the repurcussions 3 or so days after you've actually done whatever you did to cause the flare up. Did you get a jolt on slippy paths?

Moli
07-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I have a damaged disc in the base of my spine, every now and then get this sore back with it, ..We have a tens machine, thnks DM forgot all about it, will give it a go...and get some ibubrofin gel too....Thanks Angie, between the two should ease up a bit...

Elaine
07-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Nae fine:( sorry to hear that pat, hope the tens and ibuprofen help xxx

Moli
07-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Will have a hot bath later, just hope I do not get stuck in it!!!:roll:

yola
07-01-2009, 05:07 PM
OH had this a few weeks ago; he used the pain relief pads you stick to your lower back and the pain went away really quickly! I hope yours eases up soon Moli.

Moli
07-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Think we have some of those too...Hubby has problems with one of his shoulders and uses them frequently.....This is just making me feel all out of sorts!

dandysmom
07-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I swear by a hot water bottle and iboprofen........

Kazz
07-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I know your back hurts but I wonder if it is the worry about your Mom and going to see her thats tensed your muscles up (does that make sense) hence your back hurts....

Moli
07-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I do get sore backs now and then Kazz, but it does make sense....

angieh
07-01-2009, 08:18 PM
how are you planning to travel, Moli?

Moli
07-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Flying Angie, but its only about 11/2 flight...

angieh
07-01-2009, 08:22 PM
to Southampton?

Moli
07-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Yes, my sister is picking me up....

angieh
07-01-2009, 08:27 PM
ah good - was wondering whether you were attempting to drive yourself (not a good idea).

Hope all goes well and that your mum is OK.

I am going to PM you my phone number just in case - but no pressure, honestly!

angieh
07-01-2009, 08:30 PM
That's good. Wrap up warm - although I think it's meant to warm up a bit tomorrow.

Sea froze somewhere on Dorset coast today. I remember the last time the sea froze off Bognor was in about 1965 ish.

Lord knows how I posted twice!

Moli
07-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Its colder down there, than it is up here at the moment, think I will pack my thermals!!!!

Natalie
07-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Sorry but Matron has only just seen this thread.

Don't take a hot bath. It can make matters worse. Is it just a pain in your lower back? No pain or numbness down your legs?

Plenty of extentions where you lean back whilst keeping your feet flat on the floor. Paracetamol and brufen combined. Paracetamol 1gram every 4 hours and 400mg of ibruprofen every 6 hours as well as deep heat should see you through. Plenty of walking and no lifting. Rest is the worst thing you can do although I doubt your doing that.
Hope that helps XX

Moli
07-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Ooops, already had the bath.....Its just in my lower back this time, I do get sciatica in my left leg sometimes, which I find walking helps......
Have not got ant paracetamol, but have ibruprophen, will do the exercises starting now...Found it difficult to walk today as I could not straighten my back without pain.....Bent down tonight and got stuck, thankfully my son was here....!

Natalie
07-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Bending down will make matters worse. Combining the 2 analgesia will be more effective than the brufen alone too.

Drive only if you have to for the next few days until the acute period is over.

Moli
07-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Bending down will make matters worse. Combining the 2 analgesia will be more effective than the brufen alone too.

Drive only if you have to for the next few days until the acute period is over.

I a flying down to Southampton tomorrow Natalie, whats the best thing to take for the flight??

Natalie
07-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Apart from pain killers maybe a rolled up towel into the bottom of your lower back?

If you back has gone into spasm then use cold therapy such as a pack of frozen peas wrapped in a damp tea towel. Once the spasm has gone and its just pain then use heat therapy. Massage is good too.

Walk around as much as you can on the flight and do those extentions as often as required. Limit bending if you can and light luggage or get someone to lift it for you. Carry things evenly over your shoulders and back.

Moli
07-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Apart from pain killers maybe a rolled up towel into the bottom of your lower back?

If you back has gone into spasm then use cold therapy such as a pack of frozen peas wrapped in a damp tea towel. Once the spasm has gone and its just pain then use heat therapy. Massage is good too.

Walk around as much as you can on the flight and do those extentions as often as required. Limit bending if you can and light luggage or get someone to lift it for you. Carry things evenly over your shoulders and back.

Thanks Natalie, you have been very helpful....I have a bag on wheels, so no carrying....;)