PDA

View Full Version : Slimming Club Week 2

Natalie
07-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Well done everybody for joining and for all your efforts put in for the past 7 days.

This thread is to post your achievements whether it be weight loss or measurments. This thread will run for the next 7 days depending on when you take your calculations.

I have lost 3lbs this week which I'm pleased about. I have stuck to the slimming world plan religiously although may go off plan today at the buffet but shall be more careful what I pick.

Good luck everyone and keep focussed :-)

PoshPuss
07-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Natalie, I'm inspired so today is day 0ne. Can't taste anything anyway so now is a good time to start :D

I'll follow my old Weightwatchers book.

smudgley
07-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Wed weigh in;
Smudgley reporting in at 11st 12lb a loss of 4lb since I started last Friday. :cool:

I have been excercising every day for one hour & am totally amazed at how much more I can do now compared to what I could do just one week ago. :shock: I have taken up running, something I have never done before, but I'm actually really enjoying it.

I'm eating ceral for breakfast, lots of fruit for lunch & whatever the family is having for tea. I have eaten no bread since I started (& I've had nothing at all that's naughty...) ...yet!

calismum
07-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Well done Natalie and Smudgley. Keep it up.

I am on day two so not going to weigh myself. PP I'm following my old WW stuff too and will only be one day ahead of you but going to visit friends today and will have early dinner there - hope it is not too delicious!

alexgirl73
07-01-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm not going to weigh myself until NEXT wednesday, due to only starting at the weekend, but well done to all of you for losing some weight :D

EmmaG
07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Well done everybody Kel and Natalie you have done really well :)

Natalie
08-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Well done Kelly that's a fantastic start. :-D

angieh
09-01-2009, 08:49 PM
OK folks - I have a problem. I missed my assessment at the pulmonary rehab clinic on Wednesday, due to not being very well and so still have no dietary advice.

My exercise is restricted because of my breathing difficulties, so I really need quite a low calorie diet - I've been looking at GI diet today, which seems "do-able" - but I'd be keen to look at any "healthy" low fat/low sugar and probably lowish carbohydrate diets anyone has. (Not Atkins please - couldn't stand the side effects!)

Can anyone help please?

calismum
10-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Don't really know much about this type of diet angieh. I'm looking at WW no points which is easier for me as it means I don't have to cook two meals.

I know my sister and her friend tried Atkins and just couldn't stick it.

Have you got a new assessment date? Perhaps if you just cut back on sugars/fats just now and then asked them for advice when you go to the clinic?

angieh
11-01-2009, 12:21 AM
hmmm new appointment probably won't be until mid to late February. Such a nuisance. I am trying to be sensible in the meantime but the weight is piling on - I can feel it!!!

EmmaG
11-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi Angie,

If you want to do a type of low carb/low fat eating plan why not just eat lean meats, chicken, turkey, fish and loads of veg, but also try and incorporate some low gi fruit blackberries, raspberries, melon.

Instead of cooking with animal fats you would use more oils i.e. olive oil.

Instead of eating normal pasta you would eat wholewheat pasta to increase your fibre intake.

It is quite easy to devise an eating plan, what food do you like?

angieh
11-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Hi Emma - I like all fruits and veg (apart from parsnips!); chicken, and fish, esp tuna. I haven't used any animal fat for cooking for ages - always use Flora oil or olive oil. Good idea about wholewheat pasta and brown rice - have to work on OH about that though as he's not keen! I always use skimmed milk in tea - no sugar and semi skimmed milk for cereal. Love porridge made with apple juice.

See - I have always tried to eat sensibly and apart from the festive season, I generally do. My problem is the lack of exercise due to health problems and that's really where I need a proper medical diet.

Ho-hum - I am so annoyed that one part of my body didn't want to help another part last week and I ended up missing my appointment.

Natalie
11-01-2009, 03:48 PM
I would limit the amount of carbs you have. Have a huge pile of meat and veg or salad and very small portion of potatoes if any.

Shepherds pie can be made using suede and carrot mash as the topping instead of potatoes?

I use fry light spray for cooking, laughing cow light triangles instead of butter or spread and tomato based sauces.

EmmaG
11-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Natalie don't forget that carrots are quite high in carbs, a better topping could be made from butternut squash and cauliflower

For a comparison

carb content per 100g cooked

potatoes 18.21g
swede 5g
butternut squash 10g
cauliflower 1.41g

A good carb counter can be found at http://www.carb-counter.org/

Sweet potatoes are also lower carb than normal white potatoes and you can bake, fry and mash these.

EmmaG
11-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Angie you also need to bear in mind that low fat can sometimes mean higher carbs. For example your lower fat milk will have higher carbs. If you are drinking a lot of milk I would suggest drinking the lower carb version as you will need some fat in your eating plan but the extra carbs could cause you to have cravings.

I would also cut out all added sugar in any form and also limit the use of sweetener.

Kazz
11-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Angie can you take up swimming or does your health prevent that?

Kazz
11-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Well done to all you have my admiration.

angieh
11-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the carb counter Emma - I've bookmarked that. I do think that's the way that I shall have to go - cut out all sugar, as much fat as possible and reduced carbs.

I don't actually drink any milk on its own, but do have a bit of milk in about 4 mugs of tea per day. Perhaps I need to go over to green tea or lemon tea without milk, or even herbal tea - chamomile is nice. Also have some milk on cereal, but not everyday.

I've never learned to swim properly Kazz :oops: When my classmates at school were being taught, I was forbidden to go as I was allergic to the chemicals they put in the pools in those days. Now I can't go because I have had bad ear infections from swimming in the local pool, and some other reasons too. Believe me, I have tried.

calismum
11-01-2009, 06:00 PM
angieh - how about tai chi or yoga? I did a tai chi class a number of years ago and it really helped make me more supple and turned a bit of flab into muscle. Unfortunately teacher left and I now only do it at home.

I don't do yoga but have heard it is good too.

angieh
11-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Yes, tai chi definitely an option - there used to be a day class in a community college not far away from where I live. I shall try and find out if it's still running.

Did yoga when I was much younger and enjoyed it, but don't think I'm up to it now, although I do still try to practice yoga breathing.

Kazz
11-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Maybe simply walking would do it Angie?

angieh
11-01-2009, 06:31 PM
It will certainly help Kazz!

Kazz
11-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Then instead of thinking I must walk why not go to your local corner shop twice in the day instead of once....that sort of thing....library or where ever, just walk.

dandysmom
11-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I attribute a lot of my keeping my weight constant, although I'm not as careful calorie-wise as I should be. to lots of walking.

calismum
12-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Weighed myself today - lost 1lb which is pants. But I have had three meals out this week and done less walking than usual. So at least I'm going in the right direction!!!

angieh
12-01-2009, 09:46 PM
If I go on like this you'll all think I am a permanent whinge! The only place in walking distance from my house is the pub!

dandysmom
12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Could you borrow a neighbor's dog and walk it few times a week?

Natalie
12-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Weighed myself today - lost 1lb which is pants. But I have had three meals out this week and done less walking than usual. So at least I'm going in the right direction!!!

A loss is still a loss so please don't beat yourself up about it. Well done you.

calismum
13-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks. Done much better today.