PDA

View Full Version : please help! advice needed!

ToddKat
31-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi, i currently live in a flat and have one female cat and my flat mate has a male cat. I am now moving house and we are having to separate the cats. I am going to get a new kitten to keep my cat company but dont know whether to let my old cat settle in to the new home or introduce both cats to the new territory at once? My old cat is used to other cats and sometimes comes to stay with me at my mums and gets on with her cat quite happily.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i just want to do the best for my pet. thanks! :? :?

angieh
31-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Sorry I can't give advise ToddKat. Hopefully someone else will be along shortly who has experience of moving cat/s. Good luck.

Moli
31-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Think I would let your cat settle down and get used to its new surroundings before introducing a kitten....

Elaine
31-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I too think it would be better to let the existing cat settle into the now place before getting another. Wishing you both a happy new year and hope the move isnt too stressfull on either of you xxx
Oh and welcome to Catsey:D

ToddKat
31-12-2008, 08:12 PM
thanks for all your advice i think i will wait and let my cat settle first it is probably best for her.
thanks again,
Happy New Yr! x

Mags
31-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Welcome to Catsey!:D

I hope your house move goes well ........please let us know how your cat settles in..:)

dandysmom
31-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I agree; moving house can be stressful for the cat; I'd let her get settled in before intro ducing the kitten. Good luck with the move, and do let us know how it goes. Happy New Year!

ToddKat
01-01-2009, 12:44 PM
The only thing I'm worried about though Is the fact my old cat will b on her own in the new house for a few weeks when she's so used to being around other cats?

Elaine
01-01-2009, 04:56 PM
You could get one or two feliway diffusers for the new house, may help her to settle a little quicker, perhaps even a few drops of rescue remedy in her food or water too.
I am sure she will settle alot quicker than you might think but if you stress too much about it, she is sure to pick up on that. So just remain calm and treat her the same as always. ;) xxx

dandysmom
01-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Excellent advice from Elaine. Cats are uncannily quick to pick up on our emotions and react accordingly. I think she'll cope just fine being an only cat for a bit while she adjusts to the new house.

ToddKat
10-01-2009, 10:25 AM
We have moved and my older cat is extremely clingy, is this normal? she wont let me out of her sight and is very affectionate all of the time. im worried bout her

Elaine
10-01-2009, 10:35 AM
It is perfectly normal for her to be like this as you are the only constant in her life now that she is in the new environment, she is looking to you to behave normally and reasure her that there is nothing wrong.
There are no hard and fast rules as to how long it will take her to adjust to the change, each cat is different.
Just behave as if you've always been there and treat her the same as always, she will settle down in time.

ToddKat
10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
i will keep that i mind, it difficult when you can see she is confused but hopefully she will calm down soon enough.
thanks Elaine

Mags
10-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Good advice from Elaine, most cats are confused when in a new environment ....it's strange for you, just imagine what it must be like for a cat.

Give her time to settle and try not to let her pick up on your worrying.......if she sees you relaxed she will begin to relax too.:)

dandysmom
10-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Hang in there; it will take her a while to adjust, but she will. As above, stay calm and relaxed; she'll pick up on it.