PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve daily.

Natalie
31-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Good morning. Its gorgeous and frosty here once again.

Already been out with Bess, left milo to snooze a while longer and both cats are trying to find cosy resting places although Merlin would rather play with Poppy's hair which hasn't gone down well with a psycho toddler.
Off to fat fighters AKA Slimming world and then work. I shall update the Slimming club thread later when I have got my weighing details but I'm raring to go. Te**o should deliver some food today so I have no excuse to get started.
Hubby is working the night shift tonight and its his first day back to work and I think it will do him some good. Normality and all that helping him focus his mind on other things than funerals and probate!!! I shall therefore be home just with Poppy tonight. Millie is home tomorrow and I can't wait. I have missed her so so much.

Everyone who is having a party/gathering later, have a good one.

dinahsmum
31-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Morning Natatalie and morning everyone. It's freeeezing again, lots of pretty hoar frost. We left the fire in last night, so had a comfortable sleep sans felines, as theyprefer their own company if they have the fire, and a very cosy home to wake up to.
No plans for the day and no plans to stay up to let the new year in - it will arrive whether we are there to see it or not. But, we just may .... it's a wait and see thing.
To update yesterday's birth notice; Mother and baby are doing great - he was 9lb 11 :shock:. so is obviously big and bouncing. Relief to all that he was a planned Caesarian I guess. Name of Rory, which I like a lot.
Have a lovely day, whatever you are doing, and Happy New Year

yola
31-12-2008, 10:00 AM
OH back up to the office as the server has crashed again, meaning we can't access our email from home (a must). From Sebi's model behaviour yesterday to major screaming and strops today; just because he won't put his dressing gown on. I am off shortly to re-dress him in it . . . he's not going to win!

Have to pop to town today to bank a client's cheque and other than that not sure what the day will hold.

PoshPuss
31-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Just got in from work so thought I'd join in early today :)
Done my question for the day.
Will try and get a few hours kip before the festivities start. Going to watch the road races at 4pm. It's a special 50th anniversary of our Nos Galan races in Mountain Ash. The town hosts runners from all over the country to run a 5k circuit around the town in the dark with torch bearers as support. There's a mystery runner too, usually some sporting celeb. from Wales. Some fireworks and street entertainment to add atmosphere. All in honour of Guto Nyth Bran, a legendary 18th century hero, who it is said could 10 miles in the time it took the kettle to boil! or something like that :D well this guy was a phenomenon of his day but run one race too many and collapsed and died when his girlfriend slapped him on his back to congratulate him :shock:

http://www.nosgalan.co.uk/

So the story goes, so poor man lives on in legend and the road runners.

Have a good NYE/ Hogmanay whatever you do or don't do :-D

pinklizzy
31-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Morning everyone!
Work is quiet today so I've been given the day off which is lovely. Will walk into town in a little while for some shopping then planning on taking our little stray westie who's been at the practice since Christmas eve for a long walk along the canal. It's lovely weather, cold but dry so I'm planning to make the most of it.
Have a good day all, and enjoy whatever plans you have for this evening.
Lx

janey83
31-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Morning all, Just got in from work.
Its foggy and well cold here, -3 yay.

Gotta go and help my mum with the food etc for tonight!

Have a nice day and night all.

Elaine
31-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Evening all. Very cold and frosty here today. My sister felt a little better today and she and Holly came with me to walk Toby. It was nice to have the company and she felt better for getting out into the fresh air. She was tired when we got back so I left her, after a bowl of soup and a cup of tea, to chill out and rest a little.
Went to sainsburies to get a few things, man alive, the place was so crowded and shelves were bare:shock: , you'd think people were stocking up for a famine or something.
Anyway, took me two hours to pick up some milk, bread, cat litter and a few nibbles:shock:
Had loads of other things to be getting on with this afternoon but I now cannt be bothered:lol:

Have a very happy new year every one xxx

dandysmom
31-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi, all. Weird weather as usual, brief snow flurries earlier and sun now; howling winds. We're on the fringes of a big storm passing thru Pennsylvania; wind chill is -4C now. Safeway is delivering groceries today so can stay inside and warm; Leia tried the porch for all of 3 minutes and is napping on the radiator at present. No special plans, need to repot a few plants and take some amaryllis pics...new one is blooming.

Enjoy whatever you're planning for tonight, and Happy New Year!

Kazz
31-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Hiya all been to work now home nthing more to say other than took S out early to avoid the fireworks which will undoubtedly be set off later.

Very foggy this morning, and frosty now.

Dave has gone away for bussiness went today....back some time next week depending on how it goes.

Happy New Year all.

Moli
31-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Afternoon all, done the trolley dash, the ironing, then had a lovely walk with the mutts.....all of whom came back covered in mud!but they had fun....
Hubby is cooking steak tonight, so thats me got the evening off.....
We will stay up till midnight, see the New Year in hen go to bed..
Happy New Year to everyone....

Tink
31-12-2008, 10:09 PM
afternoon/evening all (depending where you live).
woke up with a start today as kuan yin decided to hide and was not in her normal morning resting space and i thought she had gotten outside again. after fifteen minutes of yelling her name, she waltzed out of the living room closet which she NEVER sleeps in..guess she wanted to try something new. gave her some catsip as a reward for coming out when i called her :-)
slept in as OH was snoring enough to rattle the walls last night and it was quite late into the morning when i got to bed.
found more potty accidents by one of the dog, not sure who's doing it but it's getting to be a pain. might have to start feeding them supper sooner and letting them out longer in the evening..it's been several days in a row :-(
tigger is missing the litter box too...it's been messy around here lately..yuck.
nothing exciting except OH will have a long weekend after he gets off work tonight around 8pm. not sure what we have to do or if anything will be open tomorrow to collect my monthly income...darn holidays! LOL..
tried my serger last night and it sewed for about five seconds till it came unthreaded and i haven't the slightest idea how to get it back..even with the manual i am very confused.
aunt also threw in a regular sewing machine which looks much simpler..only problem is it is heavy as heck and i can't move it off the ground and have no location as of yet to try it..have simply been staring at it, LOL.
will just do the normal boring chores today...and maybe watch the ball drop later tonight. we "hide" from the crowds around this time.
anyway, hope you all are having/had a good day.
lots of love and safety out to you on this day..
tink

dandysmom
31-12-2008, 10:14 PM
What's a serger, Tink? Did I miss a post? Naughty Kuan Yin to give you such a scare. I'll be watching the ball drop tonight also...... Happy New Year to you and yours....

Mags
31-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Tink or Eileen ....... what is "watching the ball drop tonight"? I assume it's something to do with the New Year?

Moli
31-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Tink or Eileen ....... what is "watching the ball drop tonight"? I assume it's something to do with the New Year?
Thanks for asking Mags, I was wondering too;)

Tink
31-12-2008, 10:24 PM
What's a serger, Tink? Did I miss a post? Naughty Kuan Yin to give you such a scare. I'll be watching the ball drop tonight also...... Happy New Year to you and yours....

I didn't know either! LOL...
from what i understand it sews like a sewing machine but also cuts fabric for you as well. from what i see it is very light which is nice (i tried it out sitting on my floor with the foot on the pedal b/c i haven't set up a desk yet, LOL!). it's very intricate looking..has four tall spools of thread in the back and each one threads into a different spot:shock:
i sewed about two inches before i guess somehow i put in the cutting mechanism and i started inadvertently tearing up my fabric haha...then all was lost. i guess you have to be careful how you feed it in or you will start cutting instead of sewing? apparently a lot of people use it and it's supposed to make your life easier but i stared at that manual for awhile and was a bit dumbfounded! i'm gonna see if my mechanic wise OH can explain the manual to me, LOL! maybe i need to practice threading a regular old sewing machine first before trying this serger thing first off!:-D
my aunt gave me both the serger and the sewing machine so i guess she gave me two devices to sew?

Tink
31-12-2008, 10:27 PM

ah..there is a lighted up ball that drops in time to the new year coming in in times square, new york. it starts from the top of a tall fixture and reaches the bottom as the countdown goes down to zero. it's always televised everywhere and there are insane crowds of people in new york that go to watch it in person over the newscast and celebrate. there are usually performances from celebrities as well that are also televised.
(hope i explained that right, LOL)

Mags
31-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Never heard of a serger, it looks complicated to me! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlock
http://sewing.about.com/od/sergersoverlock/ss/serger.htm

Moli
31-12-2008, 10:30 PM
ah..there is a lighted up ball that drops in time to the new year coming in in times square, new york. it starts from the top of a tall fixture and reaches the bottom as the countdown goes down to zero. it's always televised everywhere and there are insane crowds of people in new york that go to watch it in person over the newscast and celebrate. there are usually performances from celebrities as well that are also televised.

Must watch our national news tomorrow, see if its on there, sounds brilliant....:)

Mags
31-12-2008, 10:31 PM
That's interesting and makes it worth watching ........... we just have to wait and listen for the big 'boings' of Big Ben in London...:lol: ........ two and a half hours to go for us!:D

dandysmom
31-12-2008, 10:33 PM

Big New Years Eve celebration in New York's Times Square...gazillions of people congregate there and watch the huge Waterford crystal globe drop slowly down from the tower....they count down 10-9-8- etc. till it touches the ground, everyone yells Happy New Year and the band plays Auld Lang Syne. Sort of silly, really, but it's been going on for over a hundred years ...always watch it!

Mags
31-12-2008, 10:33 PM
On our news today they said there will be a huge firework display around the London Eye (a huge big wheel) .....that should look spectacular especially as it is a cold frosty evening...

Moli
31-12-2008, 10:34 PM
There is a huge party going on in the middle of aberdeen tonight, Elaine and Emma are going to it.....

Tink
31-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Never heard of a serger, it looks complicated to me! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlock
http://sewing.about.com/od/sergersoverlock/ss/serger.htm

ahh so i guess a big part of it is the stitches it makes..i thought it looked a bit different, i wasn't sure what i was doing as it was set to number three and there were all these numbers to pick from. it seems valuable but the cutting makes me a little nervous for someone like me who is not used to even a regular sewing machine!:lol: i probably better get used to the norm before i start actually realize what i am doing with this serger thing! i guess it is handy or maybe even considered "better" but to me right now it is confusing!
thanx for posting that;)

Tink
31-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Big New Years Eve celebration in New York's Times Square...gazillions of people congregate there and watch the huge Waterford crystal globe drop slowly down from the tower....they count down 10-9-8- etc. till it touches the ground, everyone yells Happy New Year and the band plays Auld Lang Syne. Sort of silly, really, but it's been going on for over a hundred years ...always watch it!

thank you, i forgot the proper name of the "ball", LOL!
i always forget what time it starts as well...couple hours before countdown right?

dandysmom
31-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Not exactly sure; I always watch the 11pm news, then switch to the Channel showing Times Square.

Tink
31-12-2008, 11:17 PM
ah okay, i think i may be the last time zone on this forum to become new years, LOL :-)

dandysmom
31-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Actually, I think you are! Happy New Year!

Tink
31-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Thank you! Happy New Year too you as well! :-)

Mags
01-01-2009, 12:06 AM
55 minutes to our New Year and the fireworks have started already! :lol:

Tink
01-01-2009, 12:11 AM
are they pretty?
i'm sure our neighborhood is gonna go bonkers with fireworks..they always seem to :-)

Mags
01-01-2009, 12:33 AM
I can't see many but I can certainly hear them! :lol:

Moli
01-01-2009, 12:40 AM
We have had them here all evening, had to dope up a dog..!

Mags
01-01-2009, 12:48 AM
How is she Moli? :?

Moli
01-01-2009, 12:49 AM
sleeping!:roll: Luckily she has not been affected, the tabs work well;)

dandysmom
01-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Time zones...it's almost 7 pm here and about to take the pizza out of the oven; and it's almost 2009 where you are...so once again HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Mags
01-01-2009, 12:53 AM
That's good :)....do they bother the cats at all?

Mags
01-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks Eileen, 5 minutes to go here!

I'll be sound asleep when your New Year comes in (5.00am) so Happy New Year to you for then :D

Moli
01-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks Eileen, 5 minutes to go here!

I'll be sound asleep when your New Year comes in (5.00am) so Happy New Year to you for then :D

Not in the slightest Mags:)

Tink
01-01-2009, 01:07 AM
just looked at the time, i'm sure everyone is celebrating across the pond now..hooray! :-)
i have a dog that needs to be doped up too, moli..i'm guessing you're using acepromazine? :-)

Moli
01-01-2009, 01:11 AM
just looked at the time, i'm sure everyone is celebrating across the pond now..hooray! :-)
i have a dog that needs to be doped up too, moli..i'm guessing you're using acepromazine? :-)

No, I get Xanax for her, they are quite new...but work a treat...

pinklizzy
01-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Happy New Year everyone!
Just watching the fireworks in London on BBC1-used to dread them when I worked at the Dog's home,it's so close the poor dogs were always terrified :(

Tink
01-01-2009, 01:12 AM
No, I get Xanax for her, they are quite new...but work a treat...

wow xanax as in the kind people use? sounds fancy..whatever works!:D

Mags
01-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Thank you Tink and Liz! :D