PDA

View Full Version : Busy week at the vet.

farthing
30-12-2008, 12:19 AM
My vet bill is huge this month and the last week has added about £200 on to the end of it, amazingly rabbits have on been a small part of it, just 12 myxi vaccines, can't even remember what the rest of the bill was except for this week.
This week has seen Deli the dali in for a blood sample to recheck her liver enzyme levels and thanksfully, although they are 3 times higher than normal, they haven't increased since last month. She has also developed an ulcer on her eye, so has been in 3 times to have it assessed and is in tomorrow to be sedated so it can be debrided properly.
Candy , 12 year old cat, has been in because she has been quite sick and out of sorts. After antibiotics didn't work, we decide to just book her in for blood tests and x-rays. Her blood profile is normal, but they have sent of for a pancreatitis test. Her x-rays showed her heart was slightly enlarged (she has a murmer) and her guts were thickened. They diagosis could be pancreatitis, IBS or , worst case senario, a diffuse tumour. This would require a biopsy, and there would be no real treatment anyway.
Misty has been off her food (20 year old cat), her bloods are fine, her temp is OK, so at the moment she has been given a steriod injection and I am feeding her fish. Being 20 a balanced diet is the least of her worries!
Smudge (16 year old hyperthyroid cat), has been very lethargic and has even wet her bed. She had bloods taken today, to rule out the fact she has gone hypothyroid and ensure her kindeys are OK, I guess I will need to get a urine sample to rule out a basic urine infection.
Mustard was in on Saturday to get a blood sample to see if his titre levels for toxoplasmosis has gone up. Apparently, toxoplasmosis is quite rare and it isn't really easy to diagnose, but knowing us, one of ours will have it. If it is the case, the vets are quite pleased as we seem to have caught it early. Some cats can go right off their legs, unfortunately it looks like his eyesight has been affected, he can see light, but not a quick movement towards him. He is in quaurantine at the moment and the poor wee soul is very upset that he has been seperated from his brother. He has been on antibiotics for 3 weeks now, so I'm hoping by the end of the week, he can join the rest of the family.
So, how big is my vet bill- you don't want to know!:lol:

Natalie
30-12-2008, 07:56 AM
I feel exhausted just reading that so I can't imagine how you must be feeling.

Sending some healing and money vibes your way x

Moli
30-12-2008, 10:30 AM
The joys of multiple animals, mine is bad enough with 8 altogether, so can quite imagine how much yours is..!

angieh
30-12-2008, 12:46 PM
What a time you've been going through farthing.

Did you ever pursue charitable status for the sanctuary?

Elaine
30-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Dear Lord Louise, I'd hate to imagine what the bill is for all that:shock: .
Fingers crossed for MUstard and all the rest of the animals.
Wishing you, your husband and all the animals a very healthy New Year xxx

farthing
30-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks everybody.
We have just had a call from the vet and Smudge's blood results are not too bad, however she has slightly raised neutrophils, ALT and glucose. This could be a sign of cystitis or diabetes, I have managed to get a urine sample, caucht has as she peed on the laminate, which isn't like her, she's usually very clean. I will take it in when we go to pick up Deli. I have been trying to pick up info on IBS, but there is a lot of reading and lots of different ideas to trawl through, I will have to wait for her blood results anyway, but no harm in being prepared!

We haven't done anything about becoming a charity yet, although it is something we will think about this year.

Frankly, with the cost of living we do have to really tighten our belts, as our animal food alone has doubled since last year, and our vet bills are about £200 more a month.
I don't mind the vet bills, as taking in old, poorly animals, it can only be expected, but the food bills really annoy me.
The cost of diesel and cereal has gone down again, but the food hasn't. The place we buy our food from asked a rep about this and her reply was the prices wouldn't be dropping- disgraceful, no wonder so many farmers are going out of business.:evil:

Elaine
30-12-2008, 03:15 PM
I have just posted some links about IBS on Kados thread about Simon.
Have you thought about talking to some of the food reps that may come into the vets? Or have a chat with Liz from Fetternear as i know she gets alot of discounted foods from Royal Canin etc, maybe she could put you onto the person she gets it from.

Elaine
30-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Here's one on IBS which is pretty much written in laymans terms and not so lengthy as many others.
http://www.allourpets.com/feline/ChickenSoup.shtml

Elaine
30-12-2008, 03:58 PM
http://www.cat-world.com.au/InflammatoryBowelDiseaseInCats.htm

dandysmom
30-12-2008, 05:37 PM
So sorry to hear things have been going poorly. I hope Elaine's idea about some help with discounted food will work out for you; you do such wonderful work for your animals. Hugs!

farthing
02-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks everybody. Just to make me into a truely moaning old git, I've spent the last 3 days, mostly in bed with the flu. I am very lucky to have Mike as he has been looking after the animals generally, and all I've had to think about is giving the medicines.
This is more complicated than you may think.;)
Deli has her samylin with breakfast, her previcox after tea and clinigel into her eye 3 times a day.

Smudge has a urine infection, so has her felimazole am and pm, and a half a noroclav twice a day.

Candy is on zantac and antepsin to try and settle her tummy, the zantac is given half an hour before the antepsin, the antepsin is an hour before food, twice a day! We are feeding her a mix of sensitivity food and fish, and I am delighted to say she hasn't been sick for 3 days now.:D

Misty is also on zantac, half an hour before feeding and is also in sensitivity and fish and is eating with enthusiam.

Samson and Tabatha have their vitalta in the mornings too.

So, even though I feel rubbish, and have hardly eaten for 3 days, I'm a much happier woman, and who knows, I may even have lost some weight over the festive period, now that would be good.

Hope you all had a good New Year and all the best for 2009.

Elaine
02-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Sorry to hear you have been unwell but you are by no means a moaning git, you have alot to deal with and do so admirably;)

dandysmom
02-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Hope you feel a lot better soon, and sounds as if you're coping very well with it all!
Get well vibes coming to all!