PDA

View Full Version : Cats scratching walls etc

Lorna
29-12-2008, 02:42 AM
My two 7 month old cats Ocean and Choco are great, apart from the fact that they constantly scratch my walls and wallpaper off....they have scratching posts and plenty of toys, I don't understand why they do this, they also still climb my curtains..what can I do to stop this as its really causing me problems?

Thanks! xx

mattde
29-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Hey Lorna

Get a water sprayer / water pistol ;-)

Every time they scratch the wall spray them.
One spray should be enough, If you can make it look like "The hand of god" so they don't associate the punishment with you.
This method has worked for our two kittens.

good luck

:-)

Lorna
29-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks will give that a go! Have had to stop them going upstairs as they've done it in my bedroom, really annoying as I like them having run of my house!

calismum
29-12-2008, 12:03 PM
I have used the water pistol for Kinsi as she digs up carpet to get in out of doors. I'd hesitate to say it worked first time but she certainly is a bit more cautious around the door.

Elaine
29-12-2008, 01:54 PM
My cats never did this until we re-decorated and used an embossed paper, I think Eva does it coz she can really get her claws into the newer paper and it feels good for her. It also has to do with marking her territory but knowing these things doesnt make it any better does it?;)
I have tried the secret squirt of water but to no avail, I have even put up flat wall scratchers where she has taken some wall paper off but she just ignores them and finds a new spot.
She isnt as bad as she used to be with it though.
The only act of god senario that worked for me was when she used to get ontop of the fridge freezer and scratch the paper up there, I gathered empty tin cans, put a few stones in them and placed them precariously on the work tops and fridge, so that when she jumped up, they fell over and gave her a fright. Only had to do that once and she has never jumped on the work surfaces or fridge again.
I hadnt thought to try the same thing again around the floor where she scratches but might be worth a try.

Lorna
29-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Its really getting me down :-(

Elaine
29-12-2008, 03:05 PM
I can understand that Lorna, cats can be destructive but please keep in mind that they are not doing it to upset you on purpose.
Try the tin cans aswell as the spray, maybe more than one tac tic will do the trick more effectively.

dinahsmum
29-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Try fixing some kitchen tinfoil to the wall (use a low-tack masking tape, which should peel off easily and without harming the wallpaper if you only leave it a short time - look at the instructions but I think I'd change the tape twice a day, at least)

Cats, apparently, hate the feel/sound/sensation of tinfoil so should lose this bad habit. They may find another place to scratch, so be alert.

Lorna
29-12-2008, 03:37 PM
ok thanks all xxx

dinahsmum
03-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Any improvement?

Lorna
04-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Nope! They still seem to be doing it loads.... have tried all of the above to no avail!

Elaine
05-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Hmmm, better get thinking caps on...
Just a thought, dont know if this will work or if you want to try it but what about dustin the wall with some pepper???

Lorna
05-01-2009, 08:46 PM
I'll try anything lol

Elaine
05-01-2009, 11:37 PM
While you try that, I'll keep thinking;)