PDA

View Full Version : Suspect red dots on Dylan's back

Phoenix
28-12-2008, 07:22 PM
There's three little red dots on Dylan's back, I'm not sure whether they are spots, ticks or whether it's a scratch. They are in a straight line like something's scratched him, but I can't have a proper look, his fur round it is matted a little and he won't let me comb through it.

Whatever it is, he isn't bothered by it, but I'd like to know what the three red dots are! :? and how to get rid of them :?

Mags
28-12-2008, 07:29 PM
If you're worried at all by it, why not take him to the vet?

If it's not bothering him I would just leave it for a week and see if it has cleared up on its own.

Phoenix
28-12-2008, 07:32 PM
If you're worried at all by it, why not take him to the vet?

If it's not bothering him I would just leave it for a week and see if it has cleared up on its own.

That's what I'm doing for the moment, but I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing by leaving it.

He resists having the area combed, but is perfectly happy getting combed anywhere else, but if it hasn't cleared up by Friday I'll phone the vet and see what he has to say. Hope it's not a tic! :shock:

angieh
28-12-2008, 07:59 PM
You could try bathing the area with a bit of warm salt water, he may have just caught himself on a thorn or something and the area is obviously sore which is why he doesn't like you grooming him there. Just a teaspoon of ordinary salt in a mug full of boiled water which has cooled and a bit of cotton wool. Doubt its a tick or three.

Natalie
28-12-2008, 08:27 PM
I doubt its ticks either. Good idea by Ange with the salt bathing. If they are dry then I would wait and see. If the spots are weeping then I would take him to the vets.

Chin tickles to Dylan x

dandysmom
28-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm pretty sure ticks are dormant in Winter. Agree with the above advice.

Mags
02-01-2009, 07:44 PM
How are the red dots on Dylan's back now?

Phoenix
03-01-2009, 08:51 PM
How are the red dots on Dylan's back now?

Two of them seem to have disappeared, tried putting the warm water with the salt on Dylan's back and he said "nope don't want it" It appeared to be clearing up on it's own and still isn't bothering him (if the remaining dot is still there, Dylan won't let me look just now, he says he's trying to sleep don't I realise :lol: )

I'm starting to think something had caught him there like was mentioned on this thread, or he was scratching and caught his claw on his back.