PDA

View Full Version : New washing machine

mattde
27-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Needs peoples opinion on washing machines.

We need a new washing machine, don't have space for a drying machine.

What are your thought on washer dryer combination machines??? Are they any good?
Or do we just stick with washing machine and radiators?

:)

Natalie
27-12-2008, 07:20 PM
I had a washer dryer and I didn't like it. Only lasted a couple of years. Like you I didn't have the space but I soon found room for a dryer in the shed lol.

I wash at least 2 full loads a day and had to wait in the winter for the dryer to end before I could wash again which was a pain but if you only use your machine lightly then it should be ok. Not suited for a family IMO.

HTH

mattde
27-12-2008, 07:29 PM
cheers Natalie

Its only me and the OH , maybe washer dryer is the way to go. House get damp alot when we put washing on the radiators, so maybe this would hopefully reduce the amount of damp in the house if the clothes didn't need drying.

Natalie
27-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Then you should be fine. I do use my dryer just on towels etc and place my clothes on an airer by a radiator or I place it in the utility room ontop of the worktop above the dryer and the heat dries it in no time.

Maybe look on the which website for reports on the best washer/dryers

calismum
27-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Don't like washer dryers. They take ages to dry, use loads of electricity and break dow more often than just w/machine.

Both my sister and myself have had one and gone back to machine and dryer.

I am lucky, got loads of room.

Sister solved problem by getting a dryer that was stacked on top of w/machine. Don't know if that is option for you.

Kazz
27-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Had a washer dryer and eventually got so fed up of it breakng down went back to washing machine and tumble dryer seperately

dandysmom
27-12-2008, 11:48 PM
I have a washer only and hang clothes outside on the line to dry in clement weather, (love the way they smell air dried!), and in a line in the basement when not. But it's just me. so not a lot of laundry. Every one else I know has a separate dryer; have heard the combos tend to break down.

mattde
28-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Cheers for the reply's everyone, i've been put off a washer dryer from the comments everyone have given. Space is an issue tho at our house. Maybe If I go for an extended warranty on the machine at least I will get 3 years of service.

Kazz
28-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Can you not get a washeing machine and stack the tumble dryer on top of it...sure they used to stack them....

mattde
28-12-2008, 01:24 PM
I cant do that as the only space is in the kitchen under the work surface.

alexgirl73
28-12-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm the same as you matt. I only have space for a washer, and was going to go for a washer/dryer until I was put off by reading very bad reviews on them. I have to go down the radiator route as well, and tend just to make sure I have a couple of windows cracked open to stop condensation drying. I got a fab new washing machine a few months ago, an 8kg load one, washes duvets and everything lol.

calismum
28-12-2008, 02:34 PM
try to get one with the fastest spin speed you can and then for things like towels they'll be much drier when they are finished.

Moli
28-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I had a washer dryer too, and did not like, it, went back to single machines...

Kazz
28-12-2008, 03:39 PM
try to get one with the fastest spin speed you can and then for things like towels they'll be much drier when they are finished.
Totaly agree there, get the fastest spin you can and the washing is almost dry when it comes out.

yola
28-12-2008, 05:05 PM
I've had a washer dryer for 12 years and it's been a godsend. My 1st one lasted 10 years . . . the replacement did go wrong but a warranty and persistence resulted in a replacement which has been going strong (almost on a daily basis) since . . . and with 2 small boys the thought of not having one fills me with dread :D

Kim
28-12-2008, 06:38 PM
I had a washer/dryer and hated it. We now have separate machines, much better.

Mags
28-12-2008, 07:26 PM
I've had a washer-dryer in the past too.......... only time I was pleased that I had it was when my mum was in hospital and I was bringing her washing home every night so that it would be dry to take in the following night. I found it difficult to iron things properly after it had been dried in there so put up with it for 3 years, then bought another which was "dryerless"!

mattde
29-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Cheers the the advice ladies :-) Think we are going to go for the 1600 spin option and maybe install a dryer in the shed.