PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve - do you do anything special food-wise?

angieh
23-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Just wondered if anyone has the energy to do anything special or traditional to them on Christmas Eve?

I nearly always go for salmon baked with white wine and butter and some light veg - nothing too heavy before Christmas Day.

How about you?

dandysmom
23-12-2008, 05:32 PM
No, have never done anything special on Christmas Eve. As it's Wednesday, I'll be having my usual favorite, pizza and salad. The salmon sounds yummy, might have that the Sunday after Christmas. Will be a bit tired of chicken by then.

EmmaG
24-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Nothing special here today, I will do something easy as I am cooking a full Christmas dinner tomorrow.

Might have scampi and chips :)

yola
24-12-2008, 11:02 AM
We have our full Polish Christmas Eve dinner tonight. My Mum's doing it; not the usual 12 courses, probably about 5 or 6 - quite small ones though :D

It's always non meat-based so typically includes:
1. Borscht and little mushroom-stuffed raviolis
2. Marinated herrings
3. Salmon in mayonnaise
4. Breaded fish + potatoes and salad
5. Fruit salad - usually made from dried fruit which has been soaked in brandy and syrup
6. Poppy seed cake

It's always been the highlight of my year - because straight after that it's PRESSIE OPENING TIME :-D This year of course I'll be sitting back and enjoying watching the boys tear open their gifts!

EmmaG
24-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Do you open all of your presents on Christmas Eve Yola?

yola
24-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Yes, we do.

We are going to hold one of Sebi's over for Christmas Day - purely logistical as it's a ride-on pedal tractor and trailer which physically won't fit in the car!!

angieh
24-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Hope you have a lovely evening and a wonderful feast Yola - sounds great.

I quite fancy EmmaG's scampi and chips!

Kim
24-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Hope you have a lovely evening Yola. I have been so busy today, cleaned the whole house and prepared dinner for tomorrow, so we just had a McDonalds!

calismum
24-12-2008, 11:01 PM
we've just sat down. Don't usually do any special food. I've raided the freezer and we are just about to have . . .
garlic bread and cheese
lasagne
pizza
loaded potato skins with garlic chicken

how lazy is that?

dandysmom
24-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Sounds good to me. except the potato skins, don't like 'em! And I'm having pizza also.