PDA

View Full Version : Mousie - Relapse Again

Tina
22-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi All

We reduced Mousie's medication again 3 weeks ago and hoped that it would be third time lucky this time (the last 2 attempts caused a relapse). Today was the day we took her for her bloodwork to see if the reduction in meds was going okay this time. Unfortunately, it's NOT! She is anaemic again, with red cells, hematocrit and hemoglobin below normal ranges. In addition, as a result of the steroids, her white cells are now slightly below normal as well.....though not dangerously so at this point.

After much discussion with the vet, we have put Mousie's medication dosage back up and come to the definate conclusion that this dosage is obviously the lowest possible dose for her.......any lower and she relapses again. So, though she will never be medication-free, we are at least settled on a dose that we can all live with. It's not so high as to cause any serious side effects or immediate problems, but high enough to keep her blood stable and her bone marrow doing it's job for now.

We'll watch now that we've put the dose back up for her to "pink up" again, which took about 2 weeks last time, and then she will continue to go to the vet for bloodwork every 6 weeks to watch the levels and also to keep a close eye on the white cells. Apparently, white cells that go below 1.6 are considered dangerous, Mousie's are currently at 4.5 (below normal) but have been around the same for months now so hopefully will stay so for at least a year.

So in conclusion, not great news......but not really terrible news either. Mousie's feeling well, eating well, and playing her favourite games still (primarily any games that will drive Miw mad LOL!). So, on with our Christmas plans.....Christmas with the in-laws (taking the girls, of course!) and far too much food for all!

Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas. Best wishes from me, Ben (OH), Brandon (son) and Miw and Mousie....oh and the gerbils whose names I can't remember!! :D

pinklizzy
22-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Sorry to hear Mousie has had a relapse, but it's good news that she doesn't seem to be feeling too unwell.
Hope you all enjoy your Christmas together.
Lx

calismum
22-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Shame it didn't work out. However, you now know that there is a level that she will probably be well on for quite a time. She is obviously enjoying life and has you wrapped round her paws!!

dandysmom
22-12-2008, 09:22 PM
A pity about the relapse, poor baby, but glad she seems well otherwise....driving Miw wild! A chin-tickle for her, please.

Natalie
22-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Im sorry to hear about recent events but it does sound like little Mousie is a true fighter and thank god your a great mum with her care.

Have a great Christmas and heres to a better 2009 x

angieh
22-12-2008, 09:35 PM
It's sad after all your hopes to get her medication free Tina but at least she is behaving normally and not feeling unwell - with her meds back again, she'll soon be giving you all her best. She is a lovely little fighter and you are to be commended for giving her the best of care. Happy Christmas to you all - and the gerbils too of course!

Mags
22-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Sorry about Mousie's relapse but pleased she isn't feeling unwell in herself. She is so lucky to have a mum who cares so much about her health...

Best wishes to you all for Christmas.

Tina
22-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Yes, she seems to be feeling well right now......though she has a major case of the "sulks" going on LOL! Poor kitty is rather angry with me for taking her to the nasty vet who not only pokes her with needles all the time, but also shaved off the lovely fur on her neck again which had taken months to grow back! LOL! :lol: Just wish she could understand that I take her there and let the vet do those things because I love her so much! The vet did comment today that he has never seen a kitty who was so well-bonded with her mummy (this was at the point that she climbed up my chest on to my shoulder and tried to hide behind my hair LOL!), nor one who was so well-behaved and easygoing about the horrible things he does to her.......she sat perfectly still and didn't even flinch when he took blood! Miw would have taken his hand off LOL!

Thank you all for your lovely comments.....and Mousie sends purrs and chin-bumps to everyone! :-)

PoshPuss
22-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Wishing Mousie well again and sending lots of chiny tickles too :D

Elaine
23-12-2008, 10:50 PM
What a shame about the relapse but I guess the up side is that you now know how far you can push her with regards to reducing the meds. She really has done tremendously well as non regenerative anaemia is a very serious condition indeed. You have done so much to help her where others may have let go, your bond with her is a very special one and i wish you both many happy years together xxx

Tina
08-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Just a quick update on Mousie

As said here before Christmas, she had another relapse when we tried to reduce her medication dose, so we decided to keep her permanenetly on the higher dose as she obviously can't manage on a lower one.

She has now been back on the higher dose since 23rd December, but her blood levels aren't raising or stabilising as expected. We're giving it another week or two to see if they go back up on their own.......(they're not dropping any lower at the moment).......and then if they don't go up, we'll have to go back to a still higher dose and try to reduce from there back to the current dose.

She still seems to be feeling well, playing with Miw (though maybe a bit slower and sleeping more), eating fairly well and quite alert.

Will keep you all updated.

Tina

Tina
08-01-2009, 03:53 AM
Oh, and she's getting downright fat too.....she's almost as wide as she is tall and long! So I guess she's actually eating VERY well! LOL!

calismum
08-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Hope they stabilise and you can get back to a level dose for her.

dinahsmum
08-01-2009, 10:56 AM
It's a worry for you - I am sorry

angieh
08-01-2009, 11:32 AM
This is sad news Tina. ((((HUGS)))) for you and Mousie. Hope the higher doses put her back on track soon.

Elaine
08-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Such a shame to read this Tina but she has surprised you before and hopefully she will do again.
All my love and best wishes to you both xxx