PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your cat lick your face?

mattde
19-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Thought I would start a debate, hopefully someone hasn't started this before :lol: .

When my Kitten Marmalade fancy's some cuddles she like to lick my nose.

My girlfriend thinks this is sick, it makes me feel a little sick thinking that Mamalade may have just been cleaning her bum before kissing me, tho I still let her have a the odd lick (kiss) .

What do you think?

alexgirl73
19-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Mine lick my nose, cheeks and hands. Considering they've lived with me for 3 years and I haven't come down with some exotic illness lol, I don't mind.

angieh
19-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Can't say I'm afraid Matt - my cats have never seemed inclined to lick my face - although I find a hand lick quite acceptable.

mattde
19-12-2008, 10:21 AM
I think the girlfriend is just jealous as Marmalade likes me more :lol:

yola
19-12-2008, 10:41 AM
You could be right there Matt ;)

Mine will lick my hands, but none have licked my face. When Balie was a youngster he used to knead my hair at night (I had long, permed hair when we first got him). Thing is he used to drool in it too. OH found that repulsive . . . it didn't bother me apart from the additional hassle of having to wash my hair very frequently!

Elaine
19-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Mine aren't face lickers either, Bernie will lick your fingers in order for you to wash his ears for him. Winston used to lick my arm, hand or even my feet some times.
Cannt say I'd be too keen on them licking my face though.

calismum
19-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Kinsi licks my nose and eyelids, rubs my face and neither myself nor OH bother. Some of my other cats have done this too and like alexgirl73 I seem to have survived.

Elaine
19-12-2008, 07:20 PM
When i say that I wouldnt be too keen on the cats licking my face, I was thinking more about their raspy tongues more than i was germs. It's all I can do to sit still and not pull away when Bernie licks my hand. The feel of their tongues sends a shivver up my spine. Dont know why but it does. If i was worried about germs, I wouldnt let Eva sleep on my pillow.

calismum
19-12-2008, 07:23 PM
When i say that I wouldnt be too keen on the cats licking my face, I was thinking more about their raspy tongues more than i was germs. It's all I can do to sit still and not pull away when Bernie licks my hand. The feel of their tongues sends a shivver up my spine. Dont know why but it does. If i was worried about germs, I wouldnt let Eva sleep on my pillow.

Can be quite painful can't it!

Elaine
19-12-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm not quite sure what it is but it just sets my teeth on edge, a little like finger nails down a black board kind a feeling.:lol:

angieh
19-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Funny how we all differ isn't it? I love the feeling of Merlin's tongue on my fingers when I hand feed him!

dandysmom
19-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Mine have never been face lickers, just hands or arms, but I'd have no problems with it if they did. Nor do I mind the raspy tongues at all. Actually, saliva is somewhat antiseptic, isn't it?

calismum
19-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Mine have never been face lickers, just hands or arms, but I'd have no problems with it if they did. Nor do I mind the raspy tongues at all. Actually, saliva is somewhat antiseptic, isn't it?

My grandfather used to say that - think my mother was horrified that he used to suggest a quick cure for a graze was to let the dog lick it:?

Never thought about it since then.

Don't mind the tongue on my hands, armse etc but it is sore on your eylid in the middle of the night when not expected.

dandysmom
19-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Don't most animals lick their wounds? Your grandfather may have had a point there.

Tina
20-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Mousie is a hand licker but never licks our faces. Miw licks my hands/arms but not my face. She licks OH's face ALOT though, nose, forehead, cheeks, even nibbles his chin LOL! I think she's trying to make ME jealous cause she always gives me this "look" when she's "kissing" my OH as if to say "Hey, look.....he's MINE!" LOL!

calismum
20-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Mousie is a hand licker but never licks our faces. Miw licks my hands/arms but not my face. She licks OH's face ALOT though, nose, forehead, cheeks, even nibbles his chin LOL! I think she's trying to make ME jealous cause she always gives me this "look" when she's "kissing" my OH as if to say "Hey, look.....he's MINE!" LOL!

What a sweet thought. They really do know how to wind us up don't they?

Tina
20-12-2008, 12:08 AM
What a sweet thought. They really do know how to wind us up don't they?

LOL Very much so, and Miw is a pro at it! :lol:

She knows perfectly well what her place in this house is......she's named after the Egyptian cat goddess, Bast/Bastet (her full name is Miw-Bast) and she acts VERY much the goddess and expects to be worshipped.....and OH obliges LOL!

cats' staff
21-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Let? It sounds like you think you have a choice? Tolly 'grooms' with attitude!

CathyW
25-12-2008, 02:43 PM
reggie wont lick us. but ronnie my god if u come in and your feet are warm hes straight on your feet. licks the tops of your feet with great gusto. actully is it weird that it feels quite pleasant :oops:
hes also a hand licker.
and barnaby used to sit on the back of charlies chair and lick his head, (got cropped hair) charlie just used to sit there witha smile on his face LOL

angieh
25-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Merlin loves to lick OH's slippers and rub them with his face! Now is that odd or what?

Phoenix
08-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Beauty was never a licker. Dylan loves licking any fingers he can find (so beware if you don't want your fingers licked :lol: )

Stephan
09-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Cleo is not a `licker` but in nearly 24 years of unbroken cat owning and a few years of visiting cat rescue places I have had;

lickers,sucklers,those who have `made love` to my jumper and snotty sneezers. I`m still around.

Could this be post 6??-sorry `in joke`

John
15-05-2009, 01:56 PM
When I am in bed on a morning Millie would knead my arm and I would end up with something that looks like a contajuse rash..at the same time she would lik my arm pit..
she still tries to do this now but I wont let her..

SLR30
25-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Sometimes when Jinks is having a cuddle he licks my chin:-D but he is not really a face licker lol x:)

Kim
25-06-2009, 10:04 PM
3 of my cats are lickers and so are all 3 of my dogs. I don't really mind, and I think I am still healthy, so haven't done me any harm!!

jinxysowner
29-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I do not like animals to close to my face normally, but Jinxy will come through to our room in the morning, and lay on my neck lol. He likes to make a bed on my arm to, keeps pressing his paw and claws come out and go back in, pressing on my arm lol.

He is a licker to. A loud purrer! lol.

x

farthing
03-07-2009, 08:49 PM
I don't like being licked by my animals, don't really know why, just don't like it.
Only 2 of the cats want to lick, and I don't mind Spice so much because she has a delicate litte tongue, but Pumpkin's tongue is huge and like a rasp.

smokytopaz
03-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Both of mine lick my hands when the are being stoked and grooming..... but not licking my face. They both bump noses with me tho. Sweet!

SageCat
06-08-2009, 11:28 AM
YumYum is a hand-licker. I'm getting used to it now, but she certainly has a rasping togue! She also sometimes wakes me up by licking around my hair line and likes to re-arranging my already disarranged hair first thing in the morning. She certainly can't make it look any worse than it already is!! http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m214/SageCat/frizz3-1.gif

daniellesdogs
24-11-2009, 11:45 PM
i get woken up with cosmos licking my face some times he gets carried away and i dont wake up till hes taken the skin off and im left with a saw like a carpet burn the others all lick my hands arms legs

PoshPuss
25-11-2009, 08:31 PM
If princess Posh is pleased with me :) she will come and rub noses,but never licks me. She sniffs in my face with a very superior look. We like head rubs and 'cwtches' (special welshy cuddles) but she has tried to lick Bronnie's ears and feet; which freaks Bron out! :lol:

lizziejayne66
22-01-2010, 04:15 PM
my 18 week old ragdoll has lol he always licks my cheeks

Gladys
15-07-2011, 09:47 PM
I love it when the cat licks my nose. I pet her, so why shouldn't I let her pet me back?

Admittedly, when people express distain for an animal licking a person's face, I don't let on that it doesn't worry me.

Manyana13
15-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Admittedly, when people express distain for an animal licking a person's face, I don't let on that it doesn't worry me.

I am the same :oops:

Lola will lick my face when I am asleep, it is really weird, she also sometimes licks my eyelids when I am asleep - which is a really strange sensation.... especially when you wake up to it.

Harry wouldn't dare lick anybody, he is far too superior for that and Vinnie will lick, but not my face!

meg25
11-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Every morning my Oliver (maine coon) jumps on my lap and says good morning by a slight touching of my lips with his, a good morning kiss, then he settles down on my lap for about half an hour. Apart from that, neither cat licks me. I wouldn't mind if they did.

Lady Trishka
30-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Trishka will sometimes give me a nose kiss on my mouth if I'm lucky, she took to mainly doing it while I was in the bath but she's not much of a face-licker! I like it when she licks me, it's adorable, but she is more of a pawer than a licker (nothing like a whack on the nose with a paw at 5am!)
Face I wouldn't mind, but what I just can't stand (the bf loves it though) is when she dries our feet with her tongue when we've had a shower. Hate my feet being touched, and a tickly kitty tongue is just too much to bear!

JMPARK
03-09-2012, 03:40 PM
My two never lick my face , even if i put it in front of them, they turn their heads and "butt" up against my head and purr like mad!! They both love being close up, but they have only licked my fingers or hands!!

pamela81
03-09-2012, 09:21 PM
We get headbutts from Harris and he also licks our eye lids and our cheeks.

CathyW
02-03-2013, 11:29 PM
ronnie will lick the top of my feet!!! (feels quite nice actully lol) and reggie has licked my eyelids when he wanted me to wake up. oh and ronnie will lick my finger when im stroking him. think he was being lazy and wanted me to groom him

truthisouthere
10-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Chesi licked my nose for the 1st time ever this morning! Twice :) so never say never. (He usually just likes to have a good old nosey in my mouth when I yawn, I'm sure he was dentist in a past life ;)).

Pickalilly
13-04-2013, 01:42 PM
I would feel extremely special and loved if Henry licked my face, but he doesn't do any of this soppy behaviour sadly!