PDA

View Full Version : General anestetic for a persian?

rumbletum
18-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi,
I just want to ask if anyone knows about GA problems with a persian,
My 12-14 yr old persian has got to have bladder xrays and needs to be given a GA, when she had an operation 10 years ago i was told that persians have small lungs and sometimes have problems coming out of the anestetic, The vet has not mentioned it this time so im a bit worried as she is alot older now and not as fit as she was then,
She is very small compared to other cats an weighs just under 4kg which i feel is tiny but iv never been able to get much weight on her as she has IBS.
If anyone knows any facts about GA and the effects it could have i would be grateful to hear them as I really am very worried.:(

yola
18-12-2008, 08:26 PM
My persians have had GA without a problem. However they were blood tested prior to these because of inherrent kidney problems that may have been present (no problems and no problems with the surgery either). I did loose a cat under a GA during a routine dental but he was FIV ~ and non persian ~ and had been through some tough illnesses prior to our losing him.

I hadn't heard that persians have smaller lungs (and I've had mine for 11 1/2 years). I would research that fact a little more if I were you . . .

Essentially yes, there is a risk with GA, moreso if the cat is older and has pre-existing conditions. I can't categorically say do or don't; it's something you need to determine with your vet. Is the x-ray absolutely necessary for instance? Can other tests be carried out? Lots of factors to consider.

rumbletum
18-12-2008, 09:15 PM
The smaller lungs thing was just something i was told, I cant say if it is true in any way,maybe the vet meant it was just because she is so small that her lungs are small, She has to have the xrays as she has had a water infection on and off for 2 years, she had blood in her urine this time even after metacam and 2 different anti-biotics.
After checking her liver and kidneys (all ok)the vet feels that she needs the xray in case she has stones or a tumour in her bladder, I have only ever had the one persian and she was a stray we took in so I have just learned as i have gone along, she is very weak and timid in comparison to my other cat.
I think whats worring me most is last time she had a GA we were supposed to collect her from the vets the same day but in the end we had to leave her there overnight because she diddnt come round very well so i keep thinking that at 10 years older she may not come round at all.

angieh
18-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Has your vet offered you pre-op blood tests? This is something that I would recommend especially for an older cat, Persian or non Persian. It can indicate whether the risks are small or whether an operation is not advisable.

My cat (DSH) had an op for cyst removal back in June and the test showed that he should be OK (he was 22 years old then), albeit he was on fluids before and after the op and was kept in the vet hospital for a couple of days. There was the possibility of a dental op two months back, but this time the blood tests indicated that he was at more serious risk and I did not go ahead.

Hope you manage to find out what will be best for your cat.

pinklizzy
18-12-2008, 11:26 PM
As with any brachecephalic (short-nosed) breeds, there can be more complications with anaesthesia in a Persian but it is usually due to an overlong soft palate and narrowed nostrils rather than lung capacity.
Do you know what anaesthesia/sedation protocols your vet uses as most will alter this for an older animal to reduce the risk and may use perioperative i/v fluids to support the kidney function (as well as pre-op blood tests)
It obviously depends on how many x-ray views are required etc but anaesthesia for x-ray is usually a lot shorter than that required for a surgical procedure (without the need for skin preparation etc) Obviously no anaesthetic is without risk but maybe you could talk through your concerns with your vet beforehand before making the decision as to whether to go ahead?

candyshandy
19-12-2008, 12:07 AM
One of my persians recently had a GA and she is 11. She had fluids before the op and bloods done. She was also put on fluids after the op for the rest of the day.

She came home that evening and went straight to the food bowl!

rumbletum
19-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks.
The vet did do a blood test but I was that worried when she said possible tumour that I diddnt take in everything she said, but I think it must have been the test you are talking about as they had already done blood and urine tests to rule out liver or kidney problems and she said that there was a low chance of problems caused by the GA, The vet seemed to think that the xrays were the only option left, From what she said I really think she suspects a tumour.:cry:

pinklizzy
19-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Does your vet have an ultrasound scanner? Or could they refer you to a practice that does as this may be another option, to scan her abdomen and bladder, something that, on an amenable cat can be done conscious.
I hope you are able to get some answers for your baby and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

PoshPuss
19-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Just to reassure you my persian has had two anaesthetics in 10 months and no problems with it. I hope you have good news about your little one, wishing you all the very best :)

borderdawn
20-12-2008, 08:52 PM
The smaller lungs thing was just something i was told, I cant say if it is true in any way,maybe the vet meant it was just because she is so small that her lungs are small, She has to have the xrays as she has had a water infection on and off for 2 years, she had blood in her urine this time even after metacam and 2 different anti-biotics.
After checking her liver and kidneys (all ok)the vet feels that she needs the xray in case she has stones or a tumour in her bladder, I have only ever had the one persian and she was a stray we took in so I have just learned as i have gone along, she is very weak and timid in comparison to my other cat.
I think whats worring me most is last time she had a GA we were supposed to collect her from the vets the same day but in the end we had to leave her there overnight because she diddnt come round very well so i keep thinking that at 10 years older she may not come round at all.
Anesthetics have come a long way in 10yrs, but I agree with the ultrasound option, no sedation at all, a good idea in an old animal.

rumbletum
22-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Well she is back home with nothing more than a baldy tummy to show that she even had the GA.
I have spent a full week worrying myself sick and she came home filled her tummy had a drink and is now sitting on the sofa queen of all she surveys.
Thaks so much for your kind thoughts.
xx

Mags
22-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Glad she's ok.....they do like to worry us, don't they! :roll::lol:

Moli
22-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Good to hear she is home, and everything is ok....

truthisouthere
29-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Awww, glad she is ok. Altho' it was a big worry I think your vet did the right thing in telling you any 'worst scenario' and risks involved etc JUST IN CASE, as they all should do. All the best for the dear ol' lady and may she continue to thrive!

rumbletum
12-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Just an update,
We lost our Scruffy, The vet couldnt find the cause of her health problems and as she was in pain we decided to let her go.
she just got worse and worse after the scan and she just wasnt my scruff anymore, We couldnt bear to see the change in her, she went from a naughty little minx to a shadow of her former self, just laying curled up on the sofa with no life in her.
Sleep easy Scruffy puss.

Mags
12-02-2009, 07:50 PM
So sorry to hear your sad news...:(

Sleep peacefully Scruffy, no more pain.....x

Leesy
12-02-2009, 11:03 PM
So So sorry to hear your sad news:cry: ,
RIP Scruffy Xxxxx:(

dandysmom
12-02-2009, 11:52 PM
So sorry for your loss. RIP, little one, play free at the Bridge......

Elaine
13-02-2009, 12:10 AM
So very sorry xxx
R.I.P. Scruffy xxx