PDA

View Full Version : Suspected Brain Tumor?

hamandeggs
18-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi, my cat is now 17 years old and has been fine until recently. About 2 weeks ago he went for his usual check up and was passed fit and fine by the vet but also given a flu booster vaccine which he has had every year.

Everything was fine until a couple of days later when his back legs appeared to be a bit wonky and when he walked his balance seemed a bit off. He went back to the vet and they took some blood samples and they came back all clear.

He then stopped eating and when he walks he falls over. He is also losing his 'meow' a little bit and his head seems to suddenly start moving up and down every now and then.

The vet seems to think it is a tumor or at least a neurological disorder. I find it hard to believe that within 2 weeks my cat can go from being fine to really thin and not being able to walk far, its heart breaking to see.

I questioned the vet about the shot he was given at his usual check up and was told that it was a different vacine to what he has had previously due to 'political reasons' basically cost cutting measures which are apparently 'passed on' to us. This was not mentioned at the time and i only found this out when i questioned further.

Is it possible that instead of it being as severe as a tumor that the problem could be with the shot he was given? I just find it incredibly difficult to accept that a tumor could advance so fast within 2 weeks?

Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

yola
18-12-2008, 08:20 PM
If your vet is being cagey or protectionist of his position I would seek a second opinion asap. It could be a tumour, it could be a stroke or it could be an allergic reaction. There are probably other things it could be also.

However if it were me, I would be looking for independent advice on what the problem could be.

I wish you much luck as this must be incredibly worrying for you. Please do let us know how you get on.

hamandeggs
18-12-2008, 08:30 PM
We had him put down today as we couldn't bare to see him how he was, he had become so thin because he stopped eating it was heart breaking.

The vet said we could have MRI scans etc but we didnt think it would be fair to put him through that. Its just so saddening that it all happened so fast. The vet seemed to be sure it would be a tumor but after looking on the internet it seems less and less likely that a tumor would develop in a cat of his age let alone that fast! He said that if it was rapidly growing then the symptoms would match but surely not that fast? He seemed certain but i just dont think its right.

I didnt want to see my little man in pain so did what we though was best and because we love him so much i dont want him autopsied and want him left as he is. I had him since i was 6 :(

Natalie
18-12-2008, 08:37 PM
I am so sorry to hear your sad news. We all here understand what your going through x

calismum
18-12-2008, 08:43 PM
So sorry for your loss.

hamandeggs
18-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Thank you! I just want to try and understand what could of happened!

Moli
18-12-2008, 08:54 PM
So sorry.....
Run Free little one....

Jasmine
18-12-2008, 09:20 PM
So sorry to hear about him.

In June my 17 year old cat was obviously starting to have kidney problems, drinking a lot etc., took him to the vet where he was given a Vitamin B injection etc., Two days later he was completely off his feet and I had to have him put to sleep. It happened so quickly I wondered if the injections he had made things worse.

Am still upset about him as I had had him since a tiny kitten but at least he had a good life

yola
18-12-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm very sorry that you've had to make the difficult decision. Never easy, but especially with so may unanswered questions. I had a cat that died suddenly; competely out of the blue and I chose not to have an autopsy. However I wonder if that was the choice for you as you are obviously still seeking answers to your poor kitty's sudden turn for the worse.

I think, once the initial pain has passed it might be an idea to just not beat yourself up about the whys and wherefors. Just live with the fact that you made the right decision to put your pet out of pain.

All the best, and if you need to vent/chat/air your thoughts please feel free; we all understand.

Tina
18-12-2008, 11:05 PM
So sorry for your loss! Unfortunately it could have been any number of things, and you'll probably not ever know what caused the illness. I have to say that I certainly can't blame you for not wanting the autopsy though, I know I couldn't do it! You did what was best for your poor cat, it's awful to see them so ill and not be able to help. This is the place to be for comfort, everyone here is wonderful and caring!

Elaine
18-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Oh dear, such a sad post. I am so very sorry for your loss and yours too Jasmine.
It's difficult to know exactly what had happened to the poor puss but you could contact the RCVS and see if they could possibly answer some of the questions you may have, if you feel you'd like to do so.
I can answer Jasmines question though, it is highly unlikely that B vitamin injections would have made your kitty so unwell and perhaps more likely a potassium deficiency or anaemia, which are very common in crf cats and very serious conditions if left untreated.
I am so very sorry for your losses but you both did what you felt best for the animals and they are pain free now. xxx

Mags
18-12-2008, 11:17 PM
So sorry for your loss....:(

pinklizzy
18-12-2008, 11:31 PM
So sorry to hear of your sad loss. x

angieh
18-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Very sorry to hear about your loss. ((((HUGS))))

hamandeggs
19-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks for all the kind words! Just a shame that it had to happen this way and even more difficult that it was so sudden.

Thank you for all your feedback and suggestions it is muchly appreciated, i guess i will never know and should just remember the 17 years of fun!

Thanks again

sammy
21-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Very sorry to hear about your loss. I too lost a cat to an unexplained illness so I know only too well what you're going through. I'm convinced it was a brain tumour in my cat, she was only five, but had always been a bit 'vague', though well. I think it was a slow growing tumour and only when it reached a certain size did it start to cause severe symptoms which led to her having to be put to sleep. I couldn't bear to have an autopsy either, though sometimes I wish I had as I would like to know for sure what killed her.....

Take comfort in the fact that your puss had a long and happy life with you.....