PDA

View Full Version : Poor Toby

Elaine
17-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Was set upon today while out on our walk by a bloody labradoodle and some sort of alsation mix thing.:shock:
We were walking down by the old railway line, I saw these dogs and 3 people heading our way. At this point the dogs were on lead, just as another dog passed them the alsation mix thing lunged at it barking. Oh dear i thought and put Toby on lead until we could pass them. As i put Toby on lead though the owners had let these two off lead:shock: . Before i could think of anything the alsation mix was on Toby and the other circling us growling and nipping at Toby's heals.
Toby has a long lead, so I began swinging it to try and ward off one dog while trying to block the other with my legs and feet.
The owners, walking at a snails pace began calling the dogs. I asked them to stop shouting and just move to come get their dogs. Their reply???
"They are just playing"
I said no, they are not playing at all now get hold of them now!!!
They began muttering and kept saying the dogs were playing.
Fortunately Toby wasnt hurt badly but he got a few nips from those dogs. I have to admit that I got quite a fright after the event and was a little shaken. I wasnt at all afraid for myself because I wasnt their focus and as much as i say that I would never harm an animal, I was ready to kick one of those dogs not to mention the owners.

angieh
17-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Poor Toby Williams! Poor you - scary stuff. Stupid b***** people.

Moli
17-12-2008, 06:38 PM
B****y irresponsible dog owners,:mad: Poor Toby, they would not have seen it as playing if they had been produced with a vets bill!!!!people like that should not be allowed to have animals...!:twisted:
That happened to my Moli, and the other dogs owners said it was just playing, ripped her back open,:( they had a beauty of a vet bill!!;) ! Now thanks to that, she is fear aggressive on lead..:?

dandysmom
17-12-2008, 09:18 PM
That's horrible! No wonder you're a bit shaken up. I gather you don't have leash laws then? Here in Washington all dogs must be on leash except in authorized dog parks.

Phoenix
17-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Awww poor Toby and poor you Elaine! :(

Hope Toby hasn't suffered any injuries or get fearful around other dogs :(

Elaine
17-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Nah Toby is an old and very wise fella, he got over it all much quicker than I did. He normally doesnt really bat an eye at other dogs, the odd sniff to say hello and then he toddles off on his way again.
Eileen no one would adhere to the leash laws anyway, certainly not people like that anyway.

Phoenix
17-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Nah Toby is an old and very wise fella, he got over it all much quicker than I did. He normally doesnt really bat an eye at other dogs, the odd sniff to say hello and then he toddles off on his way again.
Eileen no one would adhere to the leash laws anyway, certainly not people like that anyway.

Are you OK as well, Elaine? Dylan's sending comforting purrs your way.

Elaine
17-12-2008, 09:36 PM
I am fine thanx, was frightened for Toby but if he's good then so am I:lol:
He'll have fun tomorrow coz I'll have my sisters dog, Holly with me for the next 5 days. They have met before and she too is a very calm dog, so we will have a romp up in the woods.;)

Moli
17-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Toby is going to love that Elaine, a girlfriend for him, remember your camera...

Erin
17-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Poor baby :( glad your both ok xx

dandysmom
18-12-2008, 12:45 AM

What a pity; and never a policeman around when you need one to give them a citation.. :( A good stiff fine might make them rethink their ways.

angieh
18-12-2008, 12:48 PM
What a pity; and never a policeman around when you need one to give them a citation.. :( A good stiff fine might make them rethink their ways.

Bit of heresy here ......... our lot would have to do a risk assessment, would see an Alsatian type dog, decide the whole thing was too dangerous and leg it!

dinahsmum
18-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Elaine - have you seen those sound emitting things you can carry? I think some Royal Mail offices have issued them to posties. Press a button and you get a good loud noise, specifically targeted at dogs. It doesn't hurt them, just makes them stop and think a bit.
I can't remember what they are called but it might be worth thinking about getting one - it would help your confidence too.

....bloody people and their poor bloody dogs ...... give us all a bad name :evil:

Edit: This may be it Dog Dazer (http://www.mflshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1072&xSec=1)

dandysmom
18-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Bit of heresy here ......... our lot would have to do a risk assessment, would see an Alsatian type dog, decide the whole thing was too dangerous and leg it!

Angie, are you trying to shake my faith in your fearless constables? :-D Years of reading police procedurals have given me high respect for the British bobby!

angieh
18-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Hmmmmmmm, I'm probably taking it out on the "fearless" "Special" constables. There's been a couple of cases this year of our so-called emergency personnel either not acting or if they do act, they get suspended for taking risks (a fireman).

Elaine
18-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Angie, are you trying to shake my faith in your fearless constables? :-D Years of reading police procedurals have given me high respect for the British bobby!

Corrupt bobbies, I have absolutely no faith in the British police, especially after what they put my G through but we are winning the long battle in that one.

Moli
18-12-2008, 08:57 PM
They are as much good as a chocolate fireguard!!!!

Elaine
18-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Elaine - have you seen those sound emitting things you can carry? I think some Royal Mail offices have issued them to posties. Press a button and you get a good loud noise, specifically targeted at dogs. It doesn't hurt them, just makes them stop and think a bit.
I can't remember what they are called but it might be worth thinking about getting one - it would help your confidence too.

....bloody people and their poor bloody dogs ...... give us all a bad name :evil:

Edit: This may be it Dog Dazer (http://www.mflshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1072&xSec=1)

Thanx for that Hilary:D
Reminded me about a chat I had with a dog trainer. He advised one of those corrector sprays, it just sprays air but he said that should be enough to distract a dog. I'd forgotten about that.