PDA

View Full Version : Assisted televised suicides

Phoenix
15-12-2008, 12:11 PM
What do you think to assisted televised suicides? (In general I'm talking)

I don't have a problem with people committing suicide if that's what they want,:( but I don't agree with it being shown on TV or on the internet. :twisted:

I can see where people are coming from with both sides of the argument for assisted suicides: on one side there's the problem of other people deciding when it's others time to go and "helping" them go (or murdering them, depending on your point of view) :( but on the other hand, if someone's in pain and there's no way of them getting better, then it's fairer to let them go if they want to.

yola
15-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't like to see assisted suicides become regular TV viewing fodder, however I fully understand that this was used by the family as a means of raising awareness of the issue which (IMO misguidedly) is illegal in the UK and much of Europe.

I fully support voluntary euthanasia in the case of terminal illness or radically life-altering illnesses. I appreciate that there are many safety and verification features that need to be put in place to ensure there is no misuse or abuse of the process.

dinahsmum
15-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Ditto.

Apparently the public view is now well over 60% in favour of assisted suicide, so I'm sure it will become possible in the relatively near future.

dandysmom
15-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Agree completely with Yola and DM.

yola
15-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Well it's not much of a debate then is it LOL!!! So far we're all in agreement :)

angieh
15-12-2008, 06:52 PM
'fraid I agree too! Life at any cost or suffering is a horrible idea and I would prefer a more humane approach - obviously with all necessary safeguards in place. My only doubt is about people with dementia - where do you draw the line?

calismum
15-12-2008, 07:22 PM
me too.................
Having nursed someone thru a terminal illness and watch them fade away from a strong, outgoing confident person to a literal shell of their former self, I can't see how that can be called quality of life.

yola
15-12-2008, 07:32 PM
'fraid I agree too! Life at any cost or suffering is a horrible idea and I would prefer a more humane approach - obviously with all necessary safeguards in place. My only doubt is about people with dementia - where do you draw the line?

Dementia is a difficult one. I don't have personal experience (I know you do), but my ex-MIL who I still see around town cared for her older husband for several years, it took it out of her to an extent I wouldn't have believed; she was an incredibly strong woman. She is a devout catholic but I suspect in her heart of hearts she, knowing her husband for all those years, would be able to help make the judgement on whether there was any quality of life left for him. And you know it'll never get better :(

Natalie
15-12-2008, 09:03 PM
I do not agree with a public display of assisted suicide but Im going to sit on the fence with regards to my opinion on it :p

On one hand, I see terrible suffering in the patients that I treat who die a painful and harrowing death and their families who sit and watch it happen and we are going through it at this very moment with my MIL. On the other hand, who are we to play god to decide when someone dies? What right do we have to decide when someone else dies? How can we tell if they are making an informed choice? :? :roll: :?

alexgirl73
15-12-2008, 09:15 PM
I agree with assisted suicides ONLY if the patient can clearly and succintly state their wishes. For example Diane Pretty (I think that was her name), the lady suffering from motor neurone disease fought for years to be given the right to choose when her life ended, and yet was denied. WHY? This was an intelligent woman who knew her own mind and did not want to suffer any prolonged illness. However in the cases of people in comas etc, then euthanasia should not be carried out as they cannot express that wish.

Natalie
15-12-2008, 09:20 PM
The fine line is when can you be completely certain someone is of sound mind to make that decision? I don't think doctors would be willing to make that decision as there are so many variables that would contribute. I wouldn't blame them.

Phoenix
15-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with people who are in so much pain they want to die (if they are suffering and there's no way they will get better) or if they lose the will to live, but my main concern is people playing god.

True story: a relative of mine (when I was a child and we moved away) had a stroke, we went to live with him and another relative, but mum decided we were going to move away and after we moved my grandad (the relative who had the stroke) lost the will to live. :( He had another stroke and didn't survive it - he didn't want to! :(

random
15-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes I agree but where would you draw the line? How would you say yes to one person and no to another? What about manic depression? Or the mentally unstable? And if you say no to the mentally unstable what about those who have became mentally unstable due to an illness such as cancer and as well as being mentally unstable are also clearly in unimaginable pain (like my granddad was when he asked my uncle to get a gun and shoot him as he couldn't take any more and the nurse tried to comfort my uncle by saying not to worry as my granddad was so ill he didn't even know what he was saying any more...???)

But showing it, why? Why would anyone want to watch that? And WHO would be watching it? And what would it do to the public aside from desensitise them to watching death?????? Why would that even be considered? I don't quite understand this side, that all seems a bit sick or is it just me? :?

MadCatLady
20-01-2010, 10:27 PM
My turn.... I was going to post a new thread about this sort of thing but then found this.... I recently watched 'A short stay in Switzerland' with Julie Walters.... anyone see that last Chrimble? (Mags do a google!?) ;)

I heard on the news about the mother who has o/d her 22yr old son in a coma and has been imprisoned for it.... I don't think I agree with her being jailed for it tho.... :?

Anyone....?

Mags
20-01-2010, 10:39 PM
My turn.... I was going to post a new thread about this sort of thing but then found this.... I recently watched 'A short stay in Switzerland' with Julie Walters.... anyone see that last Chrimble? (Mags do a google!?) ;)

I heard on the news about the mother who has o/d her 22yr old son in a coma and has been imprisoned for it.... I don't think I agree with her being jailed for it tho.... :?

Anyone....?

Very sad :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7844031.stm

Shelley123
20-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Yes madcatlady i heard this to and was very surprised she got life. I remember a case of a young man who became paralysed and wanted to die. To be honest i'm not sure what happened in that case, but what worries me is he may have made the decision to die because he had no quality of life but sometimes miracles do happen and sometimes doctors get it wrong.
I disagree with assisted suicides being televised and couldn't bear to watch the julie walters film even though it was fiction.
I suppose people should have a right to choose to die but i find the subject frightening

Leesy
21-01-2010, 12:11 AM
It is a very sad and emotional topic for everybody involved,but I certainly agree that someone who is terminaly ill or is dying with no chance of recovering should beable to make that choice.
I do not agree with it being televised though and I certainly would not want to watch it happening.:shock: :shock: