PDA

View Full Version : Diet or health

furriefriend
13-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Not sure where to put this question. Bently kitten is the smellyist cat I have ever owned.! To the point where if he was a windy tummy you have to put him down. I have had cats all my life but never had this before. I have changed foods a number of times. He has both wet and dry and it makes no difference. He is growing very well looks the picture of health very happy and cuddley and has a shiny coat but .... If he happens to poo indoors it is time to leave the house. any ideas ,I have thought of taking him to the vet but not sure if that is ott

Elaine
13-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Can i ask what you are feeding him and what you have previously tried?
When changing the foods did you do this gradually? Any sudden change in foods can upset them terribly.
My Bernie can be a very stinky boy at times but not nearly as bad as he used to be. We used to refer to him as the Emperor Ming:lol:

furriefriend
13-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Currently he is on felix or whiskas tinned. I have also tried hi-life fish. He was smelly like this from the first day we had him Dried currently Arden grange,previously royal canin and some of the cheaper ones purina etc. Cant say I have been particular about changing slowly didnt really think about it as I have never had the problem before and always chanhge food. oh he is abit of a pig and will steal anything he can get including the dogs raw food.I dont incourage it but he gets everywhere !

Elaine
13-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Bernie doesnt seem to smell so bad when on the Royal Canin. We did try Orijen dry food and they liked it for a while, Bernie was more smelly on that but I could have coped with it, they wont look at the orijen now though so we are back to RC. They have a variety of wet foods but I tend to stay away from anything with gravy as that really makes the Emperor MING, it also upsets Eva's tummy a little.

angieh
13-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Can I ask a question here - can you give cats charcoal tabs?

furriefriend
13-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Thats an interesting question

pinklizzy
13-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Can I ask a question here - can you give cats charcoal tabs?

We've given active charcoal to cats in cases of suspected poisoning but I've never come across the kind of charcoal treats you give to dogs in a feline formulation. Hmmm, might need to do some research or it's going to bug me! ;)

dandysmom
13-12-2008, 09:50 PM
I've been fortunate enough never to have that problem. If it's not the food causing it, do you think it might be a case of the digestive flora? Not enough or the wrong type of bacteria? I know they make probiotics for cats, don't know if they have prebiotics also. Might be worth asking the vet .....