PDA

View Full Version : Opinions.

Natalie
07-12-2008, 05:58 PM
What do your family/friends think of your love for your cats/other animals?

Mine think I'm mad and keep making comments like 'what do you want another dog, cat for? Haven't you got enough on your plate?

Its really upsetting me and peoples including my parents attitude to us getting another dog.

Yes we both work but work shifts so at least one of us is at home 24/7. I don't see my animals as a chore or hard work in the slightest. They fit around me and the girls and they certainly don't run me ragged! I love my animals like I do my children and at the end of the day its my life and not theirs so why judge me? Its not as if I have a filthy untidy home either because its immaculate at all times and that's how I like to keep it.

Does anyone else have to put up with these sorts of comments/opinions from people?

random
07-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Mine think I'm mad and keep making comments like 'what do you want another dog, cat for? Haven't you got enough on your plate?

Its really upsetting me and peoples including my parents attitude to us getting another dog.

Mine say exactly this too, to the very word and my mum thinks one of each is too many never mind my lot! :-D But that's her opinion of how she'd feel with them I suppose as she'd hate having to look after all my lot everyday whereas I love it.

I have 3 dogs and 6 cats a hamster and rats on the way. I love my animals and I have came to the conclusion that it is their loss if they don't share my passion, everyone likes something different. They are not just my pets but part of my family and also my hobbies too I suppose, I enjoy looking after them.

My dad loves the animals he just thinks I have too many, when i'm ill with flu or something then I suppose I can then see his point as it is just me and my son at home and I do struggle a bit then, otherwise everything is dandy, they are well looked after and happy and so am I and that's all that matters to me. :-D

kado
07-12-2008, 08:24 PM
I get the same with my mum as well. My friends think i am mad but they get over it. I take care of all my animals in ever way they need it. I even look out for other peoples as well. I say its up to you and what you want that counts.

jane

Kim
07-12-2008, 09:03 PM
That's why I love these forums - like minded people!!!!! My family are tolerant of me as they know this is who I am and will never change, but yes, they do think I am mad. We are getting another greyhound puppy, (cruelty case) She arrives in England from Ireland tomorrow!! We were going to my brothers for Christmas Day, but he is coming to us instead as he doesn't want to risk the puppy weeing/pooing on his carpet or being destructive. I can understand this, I know not everyone feels as I do.

dandysmom
07-12-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm fortunate; most of my friends are cat or dog people and understand that my cats are family; not a chore or a bother; well loved. I did have a few people at work that simply did not understand why I was so upset when one of my cats died: got remarks like "Well, it (it!! not "he"!) was just a cat", and "I think you cried as much as when your Dad died" ! Insensitive, hurtful remarks from people who simply do not understand the bond we have with our animals. It's their loss, IMO. My parents are long gone, but they both were animal people also; no sibs. Excellent thread, Matron!

niki71uk
07-12-2008, 09:24 PM
my family hasnt really said anything about my animals,ive always had cats,the i got the dog a few yrs ago,was basically to get me out the house,as im a bit of a hermit,i have no kids an dont see many people.

the cats now 15 and the dogs nealy 4,then in may i go the kitten,was thinking ahead to when the oolder cat goes,company for the dog n me.my gran thought i was mad getting another cat,till she saw her n then,she decided i wasnt so mad after all

my mum died nearly 7 yrs ago n she always said when she retired,she'd get a dog.so guess in a way,i did it for her

calismum
07-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Family wise my mum and sister are cat lovers but wouldn't have a dog. My friends that I consider close are all animal lovers to greater or lesser degree.

Work mates tho are a different lot. I too have had problems with no understanding of why I'm upset when a beloved pet dies. I have real probs getting time off a short notice for vet appointments, often having to take a full days leave for a 20 minute appt. Yet if it is a GP appt for myself 'take as long as you need'.

My immediate boss has gone as far as to say 'I don't understand whay anyone would want a pet animal never mind have it in the house - dirty smelly things'. What does that say about me??

angieh
07-12-2008, 09:58 PM
I know people can be just insensitive or downright rude about "pets" but luckily I haven't encountered any so far! Both my parents are long dead and I have no siblings (like dandysmom) but my Mum loved cats - my Dad, well he loathed them - had a phobia I think. Mum was so pleased when I got married, left home and got a cat!

I work for a couple of different peole - one has dog and 2 cats and the other is also phobic. I feel very sorry for animal phobic people as they have absolutely no idea what they're missing.

I particularly like parents to encourage their children to love and care for animals. There's nothing nicer than seeing a child behaving well with cats, dogs and other animals.

Good thread, Matron - sorry you've had bad comments.

Natalie
07-12-2008, 10:09 PM
My family are animal lovers and we were always brought up with dogs and cats but my parents seem to think that you shouldn't have more than one of any kind and when one of your animals die then you shouldn't get another straight away and to enjoy the freedom????? What?

I remember my dad crying when we lost our cat smokey. I think they just worry I'm taking on too much. They mean no malice.

As for work mates then yes many don't understand the deep upset of losing an animal. I had to lie once and say I had lost a member of the family when I couldn't go into work as I just knew they wouldn't understand.

cats' staff
07-12-2008, 10:11 PM
I think I'm just thick skinned but I really don't care what other people think of my life choices! OH and I are happy with our moggies and it's no-one elses business. Make the choices that are right for you Matron and feel proud that you are providing a happy home for people and animals alike.

alexgirl73
07-12-2008, 10:33 PM
yup, before I fell out with my mum, I used to get the comments as well. She never was a pet person, everyone I got as a child ended up being given away :( including my beloved kitten smokey. None of my family are really animal lovers at all. They just don't seem to understand the pleasure you get in opening your home and heart to these furry little creatures.

Tina
08-12-2008, 12:58 AM
For the most part my friends and family are all animal lovers and have pets of their own, so they fully understand how much my cats mean to me!

That said however, I did get alot of comments from family, friends and work colleagues in April when I left a great job to care for my little Mousie. She needed 24 hour care for several months and I wasn't willing to let anyone else take over that care. I got alot of "For crying out loud, it's only a cat!" comments at that time. But in the end, their opinions didn't mean much to me.....Mousie needed me and I made the choice to be there for her, she was a higher priority than my job. :-)

Kazz
08-12-2008, 06:18 PM
No one has ever said anything about my animals......friends know to take them or not, but no one has ever mentioned them....negatively....ever.
Family, never said a word close family animals likers.....always had animals in the family....although neither my brother or sister have animals themselves...but both animal likers.
Parents, no trouble they started the animal thing ;)

Partners never met anyone who does not like animals in some way.

Moli
08-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I have exactly the same from friends and my Hubby!!!!he just cannot understand what I animals mean to me....he can't understand just how much I am missing them at the moment either!

HappyKatz
09-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Great thread! :smt023 Our family & friends think we are a little cat crazy having 9 of them. But they all know how much we love them & how much we care for them :smt049 Now my mom calls them her grandcats, which is very cute :-D Shes buy presents for them at christmas....

Tink
09-12-2008, 10:36 PM
YES, they think i'm mad and it's impossible.
they also make uneducated comments about my more unpopular pets like them being vicious or unfriendly or have called my ferrets rodents when they are in fact not even close to rodents at all and they think such things should be caged 24/7.
i think they think i'm a hoarder but i have said no more animals, there is no vacancy, and all my kids are well taken care of. i hate that word "hoarder".
they also don't understand why i can't meet with them until i care for each of them and do my chores related to the animals first.

dandysmom
09-12-2008, 11:00 PM
It's sad, isn't it, Tink. I don't think I realized how fortunate I was in the parents I had until reading some of the comments here. They both liked animals, and my mom put up with a really strange assortment of pets when I was growing up: horned toad, anole, box turtle, pet chicken, corn snake and even a crayfish!

yola
09-12-2008, 11:49 PM
My parents were not animal haters, but both were ambivelent. We only ever had goldfish, hamsters (after some serious pestering from me) and a tortoise when I was very small.

Since having a home of my own, my cats have all be accepted by my family - to the point that after my Dad's death my Mum has become quite the cat-lover, something I really didn't think I'd see!