PDA

View Full Version : Felix keeps falling over :-(

yorksuk
03-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Hi, wondered if anyone had any experience of this or could offer any advice?

Felix (my pride and joy) is 12. For the past couple of weeks he seems to have trouble with his back legs, they seem to keep giving way on him; he's wobbling a lot and actually walking like he's just had too much to drink!

In himself he is fine, he's eating well, doesn't seem to be in any pain, is still happy, cuddly and purry as normal.

We've been to the vets tonight who's admitted she's at a loss, she thoroughly examined him and he didn't yelp or cry at any of it. She carried out some other tests to see if he was aware of his legs, if he could feel them etc, and his reflexes, and these were all perfect.

She's referred him to a more senior vet on Friday. They think it could be something neurological? He doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

Guess just a waiting game til Friday, but wondered if anyone had any experiences they could share?

Thanks in advance

Jo :)

Moli
03-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi Jo, welcome to Catsey....Cannot offer any advice, not something i have come across, hope the vet can shed some light on it on Friday....
Maybe someone will come along who can help.

yorksuk
03-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for your reply, it's awful not knowing. Vet said if its neurological there may be nothing they can do which is making me sad :( You get so attached to them don't you?

Moli
03-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks for your reply, it's awful not knowing. Vet said if its neurological there may be nothing they can do which is making me sad :( You get so attached to them don't you?

We sure do, everyone on here can understand how you feel, we are all cat lovers, as I said hope the vet can help...keep us posted...:)

Most members are doing the quiz in Games, Joke and funnies at the mo..finishes at 9...Maybe someone will be able to help you then...

yorksuk
03-12-2008, 09:37 PM
That's great, thanks so much :)

Natalie
03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
If he is eating and not in pain etc then neurological disorders is probably the next port of call for a possible diagnosis. I dont know much about the possible implications but wanted to wish you and Felix all the best...As long as his isnt in any pain, that's the main thing.

Let us know how he gets on

Nat

Mags
03-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Hello Jo, welcome to Catsey.....

Sorry to hear Felix is having problems with his back legs. I've never experienced this with my cats but we had a member's cat with a similar symptons earlier this year. Here's the link to her thread which may be of interest to you concerning Felix.....

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=26450&highlight=cat%27s+back+legs+give+way%2C+falling+ov er

I do hope your vet can come up with an explanation and treatment for Felix, it is so worrying when you can see something is wrong, isn't it..:?

Good luck at the vets on Friday, do please let us know how you get on...

calismum
03-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi and welcome - does he go out? Could it be as a result of an injury affecting spinal nerves? Remeber hearing of something similar a while back. I wish you both good luck for Friday.

angieh
03-12-2008, 10:37 PM
As I said on the previous thread that Mags has linked for you, my cat Merlin who is now aged 23 had similar sounding problem with his back legs and the vet thought he had had a little stroke. Small strokes in cats are not dangerous and they can make, as Merlin did, a complete recovery as they have a network of nerves around the base of the brain which re-route and repair the damage - so the vet told me! However, Merlin did only have the one episode and it has not happened again. He is wobbly on his legs on getting up, but that's due to his age and there is no cure for that. He does still take his Metacam regularly.

I wish you good luck with Felix - it is very worrying for you. Please come back and let us know how things go on. We all appreciate what you are going through and this is a very friendly and supportive forum.

dandysmom
03-12-2008, 10:51 PM
I have no advice, Jo, never had a problem like this; just want to wish you well for Friday and hope the vet can come up with a definite diagnosis. At least he's himself, eating and not in any obvious pain. Do please come back and let us know what's happening.....

yola
03-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Jo, this must be very worrying for you. I'm no expert but from past discussions, if there is nothing physical showing as a problem (i.e., no RTA, fall or similar) then the usual assumption is some kind of neurological problem. This can be manageable - epilepsy or the like - or not.

But before you panic you and your vet must carry out all possible tests to see what is bothering Felix. Whatever it is, I truly wish that it is something mild and treatable and that he continues to have a long and happy life with you.

yorksuk
04-12-2008, 01:57 PM
thank you everyone for your replies and for the information you've provided. i hope to god the vet can do something for him; Felix and I have been through a lot together and I would hate to lose him, poor baby.

i will keep you all updated with the outcome of the vets tomorrow. Thank you for your kind wishes

x Jo x

dandysmom
04-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Will be thinking of you and Felix tmorrow, Jo.....

yola
04-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Any news Jo? Have you been to the vet yet?

yorksuk
05-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi, been this morning, he's still there. Vet says it's not looking good, he's apparently got a heart murmur and an irregular heart beat as well. The vet is going to xray him and if that shows nothing do a brain scan, but they still think its neurological and if that's the case he says there's not much he can do.

So, fingers crossed the tests today show something fixable.

Am now sat at work in floods of tears just at the prospect of losing him, just hoping for some good news.

dinahsmum
05-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Try to be positive.
I sometimes think 'vet-speak' is a bit pessamistic and reality is often better

Mags
05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Fingers crossed that things aren't so bad as first thought and Felix can be helped with meds. (((hugs)))

yorksuk
05-12-2008, 04:21 PM
The vet's just rang.... apparently Fe has arthritus in both his hip joints and they're both very swollen and tender. Thinks they may be the result of two separate injuries which could've occurred anytime (he has been run over in the past).... so he's dosed up on painkillers and anti-inflammatories and I can go pick him up at 4pm and we'll discuss ongoing treatment when I get there.

I'm so so relieved :-) Thank you all so much for your kind words; I've felt like a bit of an idiot being upset at work, but unless you have pets you just can't understand.

Again, thank you for your messages. i'll report back later on once I've been to the vets.

x Jo x

Moli
05-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Good news for Felix....Arthritis is managable, hopfully he wili be more comfortable when he comes home...
Don't worry about getting upset Jo, goes to show how much he means to you, were are all the same with our pets...

dandysmom
05-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Arthritis is definitely treatable!! No apologies needed for being upset, we all are when our well loved cats are ill...been there, done that! (((hugs)))

yola
05-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Oh I'm so very pleased to be reading that :smt041 !!!! I hope he can be found the right medication to enable a good quality of life for many years to come

angieh
05-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I hope that you now are at home with Felix. Fingers crossed you can get the right med/dose to make him feel much more comfortable.

((((HUGS))))

Natalie
05-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Please don't apologise for being upset. We all understand the pain and distress a sick animal can cause.
I'm so pleased that arthritis has been diagnosed and it certainly is treatable and manageable long term.

Hoping Felix is already feeling better. Look forward to an update when you have him home.

yorksuk
06-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Hello, just thought I'd post an update on Fe. Having seen his xrays, the arthritis in his right hip is very bad, he also has it in his left ankle, which is the reason he's falling over so much. He's also had a heart scan so has a lovely shaved chest, the murmur and the irregular heart beat in themselves aren't causing him any problems. He had a massive painkiller/anti-inflammatory shot yesterday and we've been sent home with Metacam which he starts tomorrow. He's still wobbly today, but he's been out a couple of times, not far, and in himself he's still playful and cuddly.

Hopefully the Metacam will do the trick, the vet said it will take about a week to notice any difference and he goes back to the vet for a check up in 10 days. Fingers crossed....in the meantime he's being incredibly spoilt :)

Thank you all again for your advice and kind words, its sometimes nice just to speak to people who know how I feel. :)

angieh
06-12-2008, 11:03 PM
I am sure that he will soon feel the benefit of the painkillers and will be much easier in himself. Treasure every day and perhaps we could see a picture of brave Felix when you feel able? We don't mind his shaved bits a bit!

yorksuk
06-12-2008, 11:09 PM
I did try take a picture of him earlier but he's having none of it, bless him :) He's still able to run away when a camera comes near him - I'll perservere tho :)

dandysmom
06-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Oh that is encouraging news; hope the painkillers, A/Is make him feel much better and the Metacam really helps. And happy to hear the heart isn't serious. Do spoil him rotten, poor little love, and yes, it would be nice to see a pic of Felix when you can!

yola
06-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Metacam really did the trick for my Fifi and her athritis. I gradually weaned her of it (it's not that good as a long-term solution - too many side effects), and she's really bounced back!! I hope Felix does the same . . . oh and yes - pictures of the fella would be nice :D

truthisouthere
08-12-2008, 01:16 PM
So glad it's treatable. Loving thoughts to you and your li'l guy.

yorksuk
09-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Just a l'il update - Felix is doing ok on the metacam, its not making him sick or anything as the vet said it might. He's still wobbly altho nowhere near as bad... fingers crossed still, we're back at the vet on the 15th so will have to wait and see how that goes!

Thank you so much for your kind wishes
x Jo x

Mags
09-12-2008, 10:48 PM
So pleased Felix is doing well, fingers crossed he continues to improve...:D

Thanks for the update! :D

yorksuk
17-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks again everyone for your support, it really does help to know that others know how I feel....

Over the last few days Felix seems to be a lot better, he is still falling over if he's going around a corner too quickly, but if he concentrates and walks slowly he can manage walking without any tumbling.

We've been back to the vets this morning and she agrees that in himself he's a lot better. She's given us something else alongside the Metacam (name escapes me, begins with an S!) and she wants a urine sample as she's not totally convinced that the arthritis is his only problem. So now I have to try convince him to pee in a litter tray :shock:

She wants to see him again in 3 months, fingers crossed (again) that he'll continue to improve...

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas, and thank you again for your support

PS - I have photos on my phone of the big black monster but don't know how to upload them?! Am a technophobe...!

dinahsmum
17-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the good news!
Could the medicine be Sinoquin (or something similar sounding)? I think that is a 'joint' medication

yorksuk
17-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes! That's it, thank you.... I think its the same thing my sisters rottweiller had when he first got diagnosed with arthritis. Apparently it helps to rebuild joints.... Hopefully it'll help with Fe's hips.

Mags
17-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Good to hear Felix has improved..:D

dandysmom
17-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks again everyone for your support, it really does help to know that others know how I feel....

Over the last few days Felix seems to be a lot better, he is still falling over if he's going around a corner too quickly, but if he concentrates and walks slowly he can manage walking without any tumbling.

We've been back to the vets this morning and she agrees that in himself he's a lot better. She's given us something else alongside the Metacam (name escapes me, begins with an S!) and she wants a urine sample as she's not totally convinced that the arthritis is his only problem. So now I have to try convince him to pee in a litter tray :shock:

She wants to see him again in 3 months, fingers crossed (again) that he'll continue to improve...

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas, and thank you again for your support

PS - I have photos on my phone of the big black monster but don't know how to upload them?! Am a technophobe...!

Do you know how to move it from the phone to your computer? Once it's there, the forum has instructions on posting it. My phone doesn't take pics so can't help with that part...sure someone here knows exactly what to do! Would love to see your monster! :-D

yorksuk
17-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I think I have some cables to upload onto the laptop, will give it a whirl tonight. DP is away, he normally does these things for me! Wish me luck :-)

yorksuk
17-12-2008, 11:29 PM
hope this works.....

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/yorksuk/Photo003A.jpg

Mags
17-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Felix is a lovely boy and what a shiny coat he has...:D

Well done on getting his pic on here...:smt023

Natalie
17-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Fantastic shiny coat. Gorgeous x

dandysmom
17-12-2008, 11:36 PM
What a lovely boy! Well done posting it!

yorksuk
17-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Awwww thank you :-) I'm very proud of the big black monster (his nickname!)

Am struggling with the stupid program for my phone... will try upload more!

Moli
17-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Bless him, he is simply gorgeous....

yorksuk
17-12-2008, 11:52 PM
a bit blurry:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/yorksuk/fe.jpg

i love this one

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/yorksuk/fe2.jpg

and my other baby cat, Millie :-)

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/yorksuk/millie.jpg

dandysmom
17-12-2008, 11:58 PM
I love that one of Felix also; and Millie is a cutie too. How old is she?

Moli
17-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Thy are both lovely, se Felix looks a bit rusty like my black cat Leo....

yorksuk
18-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Felix is going quite grey in his old age, going for that salt n pepper look I think :-)

Millie is 3, she's never really grown and is still tiny - she's smaller than my friends 7 month old kitten! She eats for England but just seems to be getting a bigger belly! She's still in that playful stage though which is nice.

Are there some pics of your puddy-tat's I could see somewhere on these boards?

Mags
18-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Are there some pics of your puddy-tat's I could see somewhere on these boards?

We have a section on Catsey called "Your Cats Pictures" where you will be able to see our members cats. You can also start a thread to post your pics of Felix and Millie anytime....

http://www.catsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

yorksuk
18-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Brilliant, thank you.... My boss is out tomorrow so I shall have a peek from work!

angieh
18-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks for persevering with uploading your photos of the gorgeous Felix - he's such a hunk! Millie looks a real cuddle-bug too. Hope you find and like the pictures of other members' felines on the link Mags has posted above!