PDA

View Full Version : Please sign my petition re: council collection of dead animals

hcafc_laura
30-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Just to say first that I did email admin prior to posting this to check it was okay and they said yes...

I have started a petition and am wondering if any of you may be interested in signing. Here's a bit of background info.

Almost 4 weeks ago, my cat, Lexi, was run over and killed. Her body was taken in by a lady who lived nearby. She wasn't sure who the cat belonged to so contacted the council who then came and collected her. The council informed the lady that they would do everything they could to get her back to her owners.

It wasn't untill later on that we realised what had happened. We got in touch with the council and asked for Lexi's body back to bury her. We heard nothing from the council before we got intouch with them, this despite what they told the lady when they collected her, they had made no effort to reunite us.

She was returned to us the next morning by a council worker, who informed us that we were lucky to be getting her back because they normally dispose of dead animals on the night of the day they are found. This made me wonder just how many peoples pets go 'missing' never to be heard of again, when actually they are picked up by the waste management department of local councils.

I have started this petition in the hope it will become law for all local councils to have to do everything in their power to get dead animals collected back to their owners. This would be very simple for them to do. First they should check animals for a micro-chip, which is very easy to do. If the animal isn't chipped they should then get in touch with local animal organisations to see if any animals have been reported as missing. Had this been done in my case I would have had Lexi back much sooner.

Please sign my petition by clicking on the list below and pass it on to your friends.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Lexixxx/

After signing, please don't forget to click on the link in the email sent to you. This confirms your signature, and without clicking it, your name will not be added.

Thanks for reading.

P.S - It broke my heart just now whilst registering, when it asked how many cats I had and I had to put 'NA' :cry:

smudgley
30-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat.

Welcome to Catsey. :)

yola
30-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi, welcome from me also. Reading my Cats Protection magazine last night it seems there is something at the early stages of moving through parliament to essentially force local councils to check for microchips in RTA cats and advise owners accordingly. At present some carry this out but many don't.

I therefore think your petition is timely (I'll sign it shortly) and I really hope it makes a difference.

Oh, and I'm so very sorry you lost Lexi in this way. Never nice to loose a pet but an RTA raises many questions that are often left unanswered.

Elaine
30-11-2008, 09:36 PM
So very sorry to hear about Lexi xxx

dandysmom
30-11-2008, 09:40 PM
I'd gladly sign if I were a British citizen. How horrible for you; best of luck in getting lots of signatures. A well-needed reform IMO!

hcafc_laura
30-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks everyone.

Yeah I heard about the cat protection campaign. They've been good actually and said they would link the petiton on their extranet (think thats what they said they called it) site. I felt really let down by my local cat protection when we thought Lexi was missing (not knowing she had been run over and taken in by someoen) but they've made up for it a little now.

Kim
30-11-2008, 10:33 PM
So sorry to hear about Lexi and well done for trying to do something! I will sign your petition.

random
30-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Very sorry to hear about Lexi, I lost a cat in an RTA myself and another who 'went missing' as you said, we never did find out what happened to her but she was older and ill too so very doubtful she was takin in by someone alive, but yes the council here were of no use at all to us in a very distressful time.

hcafc_laura
30-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks for your kind words.

Lexi was the third cat we have lost to RTAs since moving into this house almost 9 yrs ago. She was just 17 months old. She was my baby and I miss her every minute of every day, it's totally broken me. It was awful getting her brought back to us in a yellow disposal bag and the lasting image I have of her is of her laying there, in the same position she often slept in, but with blood round her mouth and ears. I can't get it out of my head. I just hope she died instantly.
What hurts more is she never, ever went out on the road where she was killed, she was just chasing nextdoors cat. The driver who hit her never even stopped, but luckily three lads saw it happen and went straight away to get help, knocking on the ladies door who took her in.

And now I'm crying again...

yola
01-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Oh how sad. I really feel for you :(

Do you think you'd consider keeping any future cats indoors? I live on a busy road and my 3 cats are more or less indoor ones with occasional supervised access to the back garden. It's taken a while to train them but we're at the point where they are very disinterested about leaving the confines of the garden.

random
01-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks for your kind words.

Lexi was the third cat we have lost to RTAs since moving into this house almost 9 yrs ago. She was just 17 months old. She was my baby and I miss her every minute of every day, it's totally broken me. It was awful getting her brought back to us in a yellow disposal bag and the lasting image I have of her is of her laying there, in the same position she often slept in, but with blood round her mouth and ears. I can't get it out of my head. I just hope she died instantly.
What hurts more is she never, ever went out on the road where she was killed, she was just chasing nextdoors cat. The driver who hit her never even stopped, but luckily three lads saw it happen and went straight away to get help, knocking on the ladies door who took her in.

And now I'm crying again...

I know what you mean about the image, it's 2 years almost since I lost Nipper and the image was gruesome, and for months I couldn't bear to look at pictures of her or even think of her (which of course you cant help!) as the last image of her in my mind is the horrible one. It takes time but very slowly you stop remembering it so vividly and remember more how she was when she was happy with you.

Have you spoken to the lady who took her in? This might help you and also answer some of your questions.

All the best x

hcafc_laura
01-12-2008, 12:32 AM
yola, tbh I think it's pretty unlikely I will get another cat, definetly whilst living here at least. I was so paranoid about Lexi after what happened to my other two cats. At first I didn't want to let her out at all. Eventually I did and she just stayed in our garden, untill we got new neighbours who had cats and she started to follow them a bit. She still never went far though, their garden and the tenfoot. I have spent so much time thinking if only I didn't get her, if only somebody else got her chances are she would still be alive now. I feel so selfish. I should have learnt after what happened to my last two cats, but then other people live round here have cats too and have no problems.

random, the woman who took her in happens to be my sisters friends mum. she didn't actually see it happen, and only knows what she was told by the boys who saw it. Both she and her neighbour went to check Lexi straight away but she was already dead.

I just wish I could know that she died straight away. All I keep imagining is her laying there fitting or crying, alone. I can't bare the thought of it. :cry: I'm just so lonely without her.

dinahsmum
01-12-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. We all understand your feelings of emptiness.

I think you are wise to decide that your home is too dangerous for outdoor cats. Maybe, when your heart has healed, you might think of rehoming an older cat who needs to be an indoor one? Deaf or poorly sighted cats can be perfectly happy indoors, or older amputees or even the cats who are FIV positive (Is that right? I think so - they remain healthy but they carry the disease and are dangerous to other cats)
Hope you are feeling better today

hcafc_laura
01-12-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure what I'll do about getting another one really. I can't think about it. I went to RSPCA the other day just for a look round, and I wanted to look after them all. I know it would be selfish so think I'm just going to donate some money after xmas instead.Think I may look into doing some volunteering somewhere too.

Everythings just so hard without her. I had a -very- brief look at the christmas wrapping thread. Lexi would be getting in the way as I cut the paper, almost stabbing herself, then she'd be chewing the sellotape as I put it on. I miss playing fetch with her. I miss her waking me up in the middle of the night to play. It's just unbearable.

dandysmom
01-12-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm so sorry the hurt is bad now; it will ease, believe me. Takes time but it will get better. Agree completely with DM about indoor cats; an option for down the road. Please do keep posting if it helps you; most of us have been thru the loss of a beloved cat, we do understand and care........(((hugs)))

angieh
01-12-2008, 05:04 PM
So very sorry for your pain and loss. It really will get easier, but that's no help to you now. Just keep posting when you feel able. As Dandysmom says, most of us have lost a beloved cat at one time and we really do understand what you're going through.

smudgley
01-12-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. We all understand your feelings of emptiness.

I think you are wise to decide that your home is too dangerous for outdoor cats. Maybe, when your heart has healed, you might think of rehoming an older cat who needs to be an indoor one? Deaf or poorly sighted cats can be perfectly happy indoors, or older amputees or even the cats who are FIV positive (Is that right? I think so - they remain healthy but they carry the disease and are dangerous to other cats)
Hope you are feeling better today

Yes, kind of-They have a virus and basically are healthy but their immune system is supressed. Some will become ill eventually & they are more prone to snuffles & sneezes. But are generally well & make good house cats.

hcafc_laura
02-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks everyone for been so caring.
I'm just very lonely without Lexi. I feel totally broken. I get so upset when I think of all the different things we did together, or the things she's never going to get to do. It's snowing today, she hated the snow.
Tomorrow is a month since she died. Think I'm going to post something in the gone but not forgotten board.

I just really want this petition to be a success, I feel I owe it to her.

PoshPuss
02-12-2008, 12:07 PM
All signed-up Laura, lets hope they do some thing soon :)

hcafc_laura
02-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for signing, yes, lets hope they take notice!

John
02-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Have signed ....j

calismum
02-12-2008, 08:51 PM
yola, tbh I think it's pretty unlikely I will get another cat, definetly whilst living here at least. I was so paranoid about Lexi after what happened to my other two cats. At first I didn't want to let her out at all. Eventually I did and she just stayed in our garden, untill we got new neighbours who had cats and she started to follow them a bit. She still never went far though, their garden and the tenfoot. I have spent so much time thinking if only I didn't get her, if only somebody else got her chances are she would still be alive now. I feel so selfish. I should have learnt after what happened to my last two cats, but then other people live round here have cats too and have no problems.

random, the woman who took her in happens to be my sisters friends mum. she didn't actually see it happen, and only knows what she was told by the boys who saw it. Both she and her neighbour went to check Lexi straight away but she was already dead.

I just wish I could know that she died straight away. All I keep imagining is her laying there fitting or crying, alone. I can't bare the thought of it. :cry: I'm just so lonely without her.

Hello - firstly I am so sorry that your babe was lost in this way. I have lost two cats to RTA's and felt just as you do.

I spoke to my vet about how I felt and he assures me that the chances are high that they died instantly. But to my question - what if they didn't I was told they would have been in shock so would have felt no pain or even been aware of what happened.

This has helped me enormously and I thought it may help you feel a little bit less distressed in goingover the what if's in your head.

I think it is alovely idea that you were thinking about perhaps some vol work with cats. Maybe you'll bump into a house cat one day. I have had one cat who never went out and she was very happy and contented as an indoor girl.

Time will make it a little less stressful.

hcafc_laura
04-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Thanks so much for passing on that info from your vet, it helps a lot actually. I just couldn't stand the thought of her been alone and in pain.

I've filled in the form now to become a volunteer for Cat Protection, did it last night. Hopefully will hear something soon.

I've just wrote a (very long) post on the gone but not forgotton page. Bit tearful tonight, boyfs started a new job (nights) so I'm on my own for the first time without her.