PDA

View Full Version : Jack and Max meet!! Finally....

mj69
29-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Well we have finally got back to the Uk with van and one very big golden retriever, Max;) Poor poor Jack i feel really sorry for him he had it sussed and felt very comfortable in the house and with us.

We got back on Thursday night and Jack was out on the prowl, he came into the house with a very bushy tail and promptly Hissed and howled at Max then made a hasty exit out of the cat flap.

We have kept them seperated and max can't get to the kitchen when we are not in the house and Jack is coming in through the flap at night and sleeping in the kitchen staying for breakfast then leaving again and seems to have moved back to the garage the boiler is in there and he spends most of the time curled up on top of it.

Max has taken to laying by the kitchen door and watches the cat flap waiting for Jack to appear then skids across the floor after him he doesn't bark and Jacks not hissing at him just goes back out of the flap then sits at the other side of the flap in the porch looking at Max through the flap.

I've no idea what to do with them both any suggestions welcome or do I just leave them to get on with it:roll:

Someone suggested a fellaway diffuser which ive had plugged in for a week in the kitchen where jacks bed is.

yola
29-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Feliway can take a few weeks to kick in. What about moving Max out of the kitchen so Jack can at least get into the house and make it 'home' again.

Hopefully in time they can work out a way to co-exist but in the meantime you must try and give them both their own space alongside you so they feel equally loved and valued.

mj69
29-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi Yola, sorry didnt make myself clear in post, Max isn't sleeping in the kitchen his Basket is in the Dining room but unfortunatly at certain times max can get to the kitchen when we are in the lounge max is shut in with us as the dining room is open plan with the bedrooms off it and no hallway we have to shepard max out off the house via the front door and then jack comes in through the back door.

As i'm typing this max is in the lounge with us and jack is in the kitchen the door isn't shut and Jack is free to explore the house apart from the lounge.

dinahsmum
30-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Nil desperandum!

It sounds just about right for the introduction of adult dog and cat who haven't previously been used to living with the other species.

It's very early days and it sounds fine. Jack has safe places and even times when he owns his bit of the house. I would gently admonish Max for scudding after Jack, but don't go overboard - he's just being enthusiastic! I think you should let him know that Jack is welcome and you don't expect Max to protect the house and deter this intruder (as he sees it).

Can you let each of them have bedding etc from the other, to have a good sniff at and get a bit used to?

But Thursday to Sunday and you've no hissing or barking - not too bad at all.

Moli
30-11-2008, 04:24 PM
I agree with DM, sounds like a normal cat/dog intro....Looks like they will probably settle down together...

calismum
30-11-2008, 06:37 PM
I think also that oldens are v laid back with other animals. I have had 4 goldens and introduced all 10 cats over the years without too much hassle. Sound like it will work out fine.

random
30-11-2008, 10:02 PM
How old is Max?

Jack now knows the dog is there yet he is still coming inside and no hissing and barking already is really good progress. Max will probably be very interested in Jack for longer than Jack is bothered if that makes sense. Max will also be excited in his new home too, especially if he is young.

Best of luck.

mj69
01-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Hi Kel,

Max was 2 and the end of Oct, and the vet tells me that Jack is around 2/3 so both are young..

Jack came in the house yesterday evening and hid on a chair under the kitchen table we didn't know he was there and opened the kitchen door :shock:

Max could smell him, but the daft dog couldn't work out where he was and walked round the kitchen a couple of times and when he turned to go out of the kitchen Jack made a hasty retreat out of the flap into the porch... before Max had even realised what was happening;)

Jack has been in the house all morning in the kitchen and max is in the dining room they are seperated by a glass door (obscured) max doesnt seem to bothered only when he hears the bell or Jack run's :roll:

but how do you stop a cat from running:?:

random
01-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Well Max is just being a typical young dog and it's good that Jack is still young too as it often takes a lot longer, the older they get the more they get stuck in their ways.

It just takes time, could be weeks or a few months but the more they see of each other the quicker they will learn to accept each other.

dinahsmum
01-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I agree. Try to be patient; try not to get uptight about it (yes, I know, easier said than done)

I think the baby gate would help - Jack could feel totally secure in the kitchen and Max could stick his nose through and they could each get used to each other's smells.

You could well find them snuggled in Max's basket in the new year :) Or they could never be 'pals', just happily share the same accommodation. They all have their own character. But they have youth on their side, so I think it's more likely than not that they will be friends.