PDA

View Full Version : Older dogs and new additions?

Natalie
29-11-2008, 03:07 PM
We have been only now been told by a vet that Milo is infact probably 11 instead of 8 years old like I was lead to believe. Being a rescue dog it is hard to tell I guess. Anyway, Mr M had a thought that maybe getting a puppy would be company for the old boy and to bring out the young boy in him?

We havent discussed it seriously as yet but just wondered what your thoughts were on this? Do you think it would be company for him and to give him a new lease of life (Daft as a brush is Milo) or would it upset him? Would getting another dog in time be a good transition to help us and the children went Milo finally goes.

Here's the old boy :)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/girlie74/Picture036.jpg

angieh
29-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Sorry Matron - I have never had a dog and don't know! But being pack animals and totally different from cats I expect they would react better than say an elderly cat would. I would never be tempted to bring a kitten into the house while I still have dear old uncle Merlin.

Kazz
29-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Milo looks like a happy contented dog....something tells me he get on with anything on four legs or two....is that right.

What breed are you looking for or at? a rescue or private brought?... an adult or young adult or Pup? Dog or bitch?

I imagine Milo would be fine with any you choose...but what do you want from your dog...I mean your children are young aren't they so will they in a year or so be holding the lead is so the size may be the factor that decides...

dinahsmum
29-11-2008, 04:22 PM
We've done it once. Elderly rescue Heinz 57 bitch, calm and accepting, paired with sweet biddable Staffie bitch pup(and children of 5 & 6). She must have been 9 at least (as you say, it's difficult with rescues unless they happen to have a full history)
It was wonderful. She played like we had never seen her play before - indeed she had a whole 'second life'.

But that's just my story. Hope others may give you theirs (or maybe go and ask the experts on Dogsey?)

Natalie
29-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks DM for your experience and yes i may take a look on dogsey.

Milo gets on with anything and everybody. We think if we did get another dog then it would be another Lab because I like the size and temperment. Moulting is another matter though :shock: lol.

We have been fantastically lucky with Milo being a rescue dog as so many have "problems" through no fault of their own :cry:

I think we will seriously discuss it maybe in the new year. It would be great to hear of any other advice though so keep them coming

Thanks again

Moli
29-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I introduced Mollie to my 15 year old Staffie, and it did give the old girl a new lease of life, she started going out for walks again...become a lot more interested in eveything....

Elaine
29-11-2008, 06:17 PM
I dont own a dog of my own but as a dog walker, the old boy Toby Williams doesnt really care for puppies jumping and clamering on him, either does my sisters Lab, Holly. Toby being around 9 or 10 and Holly being 8.
I am always here to put a dampner on these things aren't I?:lol: :lol: :lol: I dont mean to but it's always best to look at these things from all angles.
That said, you are not a stupid woman and I am sure you would take the time and care to introduce them well.
Many people have great success with these things but there are so many others that end up with more problems than they had intended.
All the very best and look forward to hear how things progress.

Natalie
01-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Hubby has talked me round and we are going to look at a litter of pups tomorrow!

Moli
01-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Hubby has talked me round and we are going to look at a litter of pups tomorrow!

What are you going to look at???

Natalie
01-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Some Labradoodle pups. All the rescue centres won't let us rehome a pup/ young dog due to the ages of my children therefore we shall have to go down the private sale route.

We are very attracted to this breed so we shall see. They are only just down the road to us too.

Moli
01-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Love dogs.....Looking forward to seeing your new addition...;)

Natalie
02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
We are picking up our new puppy next Wednesday 10th. She will be 8 weeks old by then and she is a sweet black Labradoodle pup.

yola
02-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Flippin' 'eck that was quick LOL! From starting to read this thread when you're just thinking about it to finishing reading it and you're off to get your pup!!

Labradoodle . . . cross between poodle and labrador? Ooooo - pictures please Matron :-D

dinahsmum
02-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Rotten time of year to get a pup - but you will get used to going out with a torch and umbrella at 6am and 11pm for the first and last wees!
I was speaking to an 11 week old poodle baby, in her mum's arms outside the supermarket just a few days ago. What a little fluff ball!

Natalie
02-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Lol, I know, I don't do things by halves do I?? Ahem!

We saw this litter advertised yesterday and when I took milo to the vets this morning the vet said she knew off the litter and they were lovely. So came recommended. I just can't say no :-)

Mum is a black lab and dad is a chocolate standard poodle. My pup is just jet black with a slighly wavey coat. They have been reared with horses, dogs, cats and young children. She was the smallest and the most shy. We cuddled her and she didn't wriggle, just sat and looked adorable. I melted.

Now to find a name :-(
I don't have any pics yet Yola sorry. I think milo will love her and Merlin too. Belle may sulk for a day or so lol.

angieh
02-12-2008, 08:14 PM
So looking forward to those pictures Matron!

Liz
02-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Our Jazz is nearly 16 and now has 2 younger Brothers - a Black and white Border Collie called "Astra Zephyr Sky" or Sky No who is 18 months old and our latest addition "Rownalhill Blazing Sunshine" or Sunny No who is 10 weeks old and a red merle Border Collie. She is on the whole fine with them now they have each other to play with.

Jazz lost her best friend last year another Borfer Collie Breeze who was 15 and deaf so now she is playing Queen Bee to her 2 boys and is spoilet rotten by us!