PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any advice for relief for a cat in heat?

Tina
24-11-2008, 02:09 AM
Mousie's in heat again, seems to be every 3 weeks......and it's driving us all MAD!

She gets very loud, particularly in the middle of the night......we can handle that, but it's causing alot of sleepless nights for my son who's a very light sleeper! And she's driving poor Miw out of her mind......she follows her EVERYWHERE, tries to rub up against her, and constantly tries to "talk" to her......Miw's a quite "solitary" cat and doesn't like Mousie getting too close without invitation LOL!

And I'm sure it must be driving little Mousie crazy too.......she knows she wants SOMETHING, but she doesn't have a clue what it is or where to find relief!

Anyone know of anything we can do to provide relief, besides the obvious solution of finding her a "man-cat"? :oops: Anything that may calm her a bit?

dandysmom
24-11-2008, 03:49 AM
Oh dear! I have no idea what can be done to calm a cat in oestrus except a tom...which is impossible, of course. Call the vet and ask if there's possibly any medication that she can take considering her health problems. And she'll probably just keep cycling......what a dilemma! Poor Mousie, poor Miw and poor you!

yola
24-11-2008, 10:23 AM
I was thinking the same, some kind of hormone supressant?

dinahsmum
24-11-2008, 10:37 AM
And maybe even the good old Feliway will lessen her drives? Poor thing

angieh
24-11-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm sorry for you and poor Mouse - what a dilemma. I think it has to be a call to the vet. There may be something that will lessen her oestrus without compromising her delicate health balance. Good luck.

smudgley
24-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Why don't you get her spayed? :?

dinahsmum
24-11-2008, 02:12 PM
She's poorly Smudgley - you'd have to look at previous threads

smudgley
24-11-2008, 08:10 PM
She's poorly Smudgley - you'd have to look at previous threads

sincere apologies, I didn't know she was so poorly.

Tina
25-11-2008, 12:45 AM
sincere apologies, I didn't know she was so poorly.

No worries, Smudgley :) you weren't aware of the circumstances. Mousie has a genetic immune disease that affects her blood......so one risk of surgery could be irregular or excessive bleeding or at the very least unbalancing her red cell count which has taken us so long to stabilise. The other risk is that she's on immuno-suppressive therapy so if she got an infection from the surgery she wouldn't be able to fight it. We and the vet don't want to chance it......she may be fine having surgery.....but then again, she may not be.

Thanks for the advice everyone, will ring the vet this week and see if there is any kind of hormone suppressant that she can have to help......every 3 weeks being in heat is wearing poor Mousie (and US!!) out LOL! :lol:

Samz5
25-11-2008, 05:15 PM
I found this advice when my brothers cat was in heat .... but we just couldn't / wouldn't do it!
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=737861 :shock:

dandysmom
25-11-2008, 05:28 PM
OMG, that is beyond belief!!!!! :shock:

angieh
25-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I'd give that a miss too! But I've never had to live with a cat in heat either.

Elaine
25-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Poor wee Mouse, there's always something isnt there;)
There is a contraception injection available but it is usually used as a one off kind of thing. Might be something else to discuss with your vet though.

Tina
26-11-2008, 12:10 AM
I found this advice when my brothers cat was in heat .... but we just couldn't / wouldn't do it!
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=737861 :shock:

Ack! LOL! Thanks Samz, but I think I'll probably pass on that! :lol:

The vet is looking into what hormone suppressant treatments may be available and whether or not she can take them with her meds and illness......hopefully we'll have something sorted by the next time she goes in heat.